Author Topic: Exile - Discussion  (Read 58782 times)

Offline kimo

In this universe, how is the GTVA doing during the events of Exile?
Spoiler:
From what Nyctaeus already said:
1. Supernova in Capella system caused massive shift in jump nodes network. Some GTVA systems are now cut off, other gained access to unexplored stars.
2. Second Shivan Incursion was not the end of problems with Shivans.
3. "GTVA probably won't ever be able construct Sol Gate."

So in short their situation is either bad or very bad :(

Offline Macielos

Spoiler:
It's rather 'very bad' than 'bad'.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Spoiler:
It's rather 'very bad' than 'bad'.
Spoiler:
...but not worse than "very bad" :P. They won't be destroyed.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Viko

Just finished the campaign ...

Seriously it has been a very long time since i enjoyed this much  :D

The story, the background, the missions even the cutscenes ... outstanding work !!!

Again THANK YOU  :yes: :yes:

Can't wait for the next chapter !!!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
We're glad you like it :). It's been three long years of development :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I continued playing too. Still kinda torn here.

*PLEASE* do not be offended or anything but I think its not very fun in parts. I like a lot of the stuff that I have seen, especially the dark tones in the story. But from a gameplay standpoint, I often feel ill equiped for what I am supposed to do. The worst offender thus far was the mission in which you have to destroy the communication nodes of the Shivans. It is basically on an FS1-level of "shooting a destroyer for minutes until it dies". Even the transports are though to crack in that level. Maybe I am totally mismanaging my equipment but in that case I would argue that I have not been briefed in any way to suggest I should pack something specific.

Of course one could argue that an ill equipped army supports the back-against-the-wall theme but at least for me its not doing that. I only feel frustrated and considering that bombers and capships do seem to be available if necessary, some sections just feel like needlessly streched, similar to the bad missions in FS1.

For reference, I have been playing on Medium (3 of 5).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If you refer to first comm node, it's been weakned especially for players who hate shoothing at single target for minute or two. For the rest, you have two wings of fighters to help you destroy all tougher targets without shooting everything for too long time. Besides, all shivan utility ships are optional targets. You are not required to do everything you have on your directive list, but... Well, you can.

Also you have bomber wing to deal with targets you weren't able to take down with firepower you had. Protecting them is essential for faster, and more effective progress... And there is artillery frigate. Keep her safe and she will deal with everything, including comm nodes. You are not ill-equipped for this mission. You are just not supposed to blow up whole shivan depot alone. This mission is tacical. You have to manage your wingman to achieve your goals and destroying all targets in depot is supposed to be harder.

Official advice: Leave comm nodes. Focus on destroying other targets. Akka or bombers will deal with them.
In fact Comm Nodes are supposed to be something like "this crap is too hard!"... And suddently reinfocements become available :].

Majority of missions in Exile are intuitive, linear and with simple goals. But this one is not. We are aware that this kind of mission may be difficult for players, so this is basicly the only tactical one we decided to include.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:51:18 pm by Nyctaeus »

Offline CT27

Some advice that may help make a first playthrough of Exile a little easier:

Spoiler:
  As of right now, unlike Shadow Genesis, there is no "bonus" for getting a certain number of achievements in missions in the campaign.  So my advice would be, just play through the campaign normally the first time around without over exerting yourself trying to get every achievement...and then on the next playthrough you can for fun try to get achievements.

Once again I’d like to commend you guys on a job well done, it is one of the best mods I’ve seen so far. It is absolutely immersive: story, ship models, mission design, soundtrack. By the way, concerning the soundtrack, do you guys plan on releasing the soundtrack for us to download?

PS - Downloaded and also started playing SG 2017. Awesome job as well! 👍

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Thanks for your kind words :P. No, we're not going to release soundtrack because it was almost completely composed from royality-free music of various composers + FSPort remastered music + some stuff from other games. Exile is just borrowing their stuff, and all rights belongs to original authors respectively :].

Have to say, this campaign managed to piss me off right at the start with extremely long, unskippable cutscenes. Which means that if you die, you have to watch them ALL OVER AGAIN.
I'd much rather have a classic briefing as an intro at this point. Because right now a good portion of my playtime is spent reading books.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
1. IIRC nearly every cutscene is skippable by the checkpoint system.
2. If some aren't skippable like that, then there's the time compression function built into FSO (by default '>' accelerates time up to x64, and '<' decelerates it back to x1 in steps). Nothing should break if you use that.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Have to say, this campaign managed to piss me off right at the start with extremely long, unskippable cutscenes. Which means that if you die, you have to watch them ALL OVER AGAIN.
I'd much rather have a classic briefing as an intro at this point. Because right now a good portion of my playtime is spent reading books.
Yep, use time compression for now or checkpoints. Skipping cutscenes was planned, but implementation of it is a little bit time consuming and we didn't want to delay the release anymore. Proper skipping will be probably implemented in 1.2.

Offline petar91

Hi, i'd like to thank you for this campaign, probably one of my favourite with Blue Planet. The only negative point for me was the music wich are not very epic or dramatic for the situation, it's just a personnal feeling.

With Exile, you made a new unofficial Freespace 3 in the line of Blue Planet, so wich one will be the community one ?? ;-)

Wait a lot for the next chapter !

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hi, i'd like to thank you for this campaign, probably one of my favourite with Blue Planet. The only negative point for me was the music wich are not very epic or dramatic for the situation, it's just a personnal feeling.

With Exile, you made a new unofficial Freespace 3 in the line of Blue Planet, so wich one will be the community one ?? ;-)

Wait a lot for the next chapter !
Thank you! Exile is unofficial continuation of FreeSpace history the same as BP. Point of both Exile and BP is to create one of many possible scenarios of further events after Capella incident. There will never be anykind of community approved FS3 equivalent, so both Exile, BP and numerous other mods are something like alternate stories to official FS3... That will never happen :P. If you want to pick some mod as continuation you would accept as FS3, pick the one you like the most.

We wanted to avoid music like Two Steps from Hell or Audiomachine mostly because it's not FreeSpace style of music. Both FS and FS2 are based mostly on synths and different composition rules than typical "epic" music. FS music is awesome, but it's not "epic" and probably it was never intended to be. Exile is trying to mimic somekind similar to eventual FS3 style of music, but also Exile was never supposed to be fan-made FS3. It's more like new story set in the same universe, based on events from both original games.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:12:35 am by Nyctaeus »

I played this right after it got released, and it was awesome! :) A lot better than SG (which was already really good on its own). :yes:

Couple of things I noticed, too...

Spoiler:
IIRC some (mostly retail Shivan) ships go out with a death flash while most others don't (due to the MVPs and to the lack of custom cfg files for flashy death scripts). This could be unitary IMO.

In Exile20, the Briefing says that most of the 180.000 people (1/6 of the population) aboard the Adrastus "remain in hypersleep, locked in cryogenic chambers". This kinda breaks the story that was built up before with people rioting, lack of supplies etc.; all they "eat" is a bit power.

In Exile21, the CB states that the system of Terminus was created by a supernova that destroyed the 6 planets in orbit 20.000 years ago. Where did they obtain that knowledge from? Mastermind? The info doesn't seem to be relevant enough to hint the existence of Mastermind to the masses.

Regarding an entry in the techroom I'd like to note that the difference between regulated (state controlled) and unregulated ("liberal") economy seems to be rather ideological than rational...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:14:41 pm by Nightmare »

Recently finished my playthrough of Exile. It's been a while since I played a campaign and was itching for some new content, right when Exile was released :D Great Timing for me!

Enjoyed this campaign quite a bit. Music, cutscenes, and dialog (while not voiced) were all solid. Narrative was intriguing and the ships looked pretty :). Some of the missions were a little on the dry side (the subspace scanning one), but those were supplemented by plentiful action missions. Even the dryer of the missions were compensated for with the addition of dialog or other plot-advancing information.

Only technical issue I had was with the mission near the end when you and your wingmen must make several successive jumps while covering those two frigates - I'd call in a support ship in the first round, to find when I called it after the first jump that it was 60km away and would need 20 minutes to dock...besides this, no issues.

Overall, very entertaining. Thanks to the dev team (Nyctaeus and company) for this campaign, looking forward to chapter 2 :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Awww.... We should mention that in known issues. Just send your support to ba... to the Fleet and call a new one :P.

this error i get when im on mission 5
Error: Invalid soundtrack name.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( true )
   ( player-not-use-ai )
   ( remove-goal
      "Beta 1"
      ( ai-play-dead 101 )
   )
   ( ship-vulnerable
      "Beta 1"
      "City of the Sun"
      "Abraham"
      "Bauhaus"
      "Al-Qaum"
      "Callicantzaros"
      "Chiang-shih"
      "Abigor"
   )
   ( unlock-primary-weapon "Beta 1" )
   ( unlock-secondary-weapon "Beta 1" )
   ( unlock-afterburner "Beta 1" )
   ( reset-camera )
   ( unprotect-ship "Beta 1" )
   ( clear-goals "Beta" "Alpha" )
   ( add-goal
      "Alpha"
      ( ai-guard "Bauhaus" 85 )
   )
   ( add-goal
      "Beta"
      ( ai-guard "Beta 1" 89 )
[...]
(Error appears to be: Ex13: Haunted)
File: missionparse.cpp
Line: 5769

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 159 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 2769883 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 3887628 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 3326406 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 3331533 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 1812107 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 1815325 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 1809292 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 2698572 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 66176 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 18810 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 1246601 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 23314 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 1247373 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 14632 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! SDL_main + 130 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_1_20180127_a2f6897_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well... This is something new. Are you able to continue, or the game crashes? Anyone else encountered this? When this crap pops up?