Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 915157 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Doubt I did, but I might be wrong.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I just paid special attention to this during my recent re-try (yes, I'm really eager to save those friggin' cruisers! :D). When I order Beta wing to form up on me, they do it. When I then order them to protect my back, they turn around and fly back the the Agincourt although it still says thay are protecting me.

Because 'cover me' makes them guard your wing. When AI 'guards' a wing they always guard the wingleader, or Alpha 1 in your case. Since Simms' orders are to Protect the Agincourt giving the AI a 'cover me' order makes them go defend Simms, who's back at the Agincourt.

This is a known side-effect of not making the player #1 in his wing.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Because 'cover me' makes them guard your wing. When AI 'guards' a wing they always guard the wingleader, or Alpha 1 in your case. Since Simms' orders are to Protect the Agincourt giving the AI a 'cover me' order makes them go defend Simms, who's back at the Agincourt.

This is a known side-effect of not making the player #1 in his wing.

Holy ****, seriously? I had no idea.

Maybe we can get an AI profiles flag to fix this.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Holy ****, seriously? I had no idea.

Neither did I. I've never experienced what FrikgFeek described in any mod or campaign. You sure about that?

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ai_profiles.tbl#.24ai_guards_specific_ship_in_wing:

There's a flag for it, and that flag isn't in the BP-2 AI Profile.

You usually don't notice it because the player is very rarely not the #1 ship in his wing AND able to give orders. It's both or neither usually.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Oh my dear, i love this mod.

however after reading the forums silently for a few years now i wars forced to create an account to report a problem i have....

Mission: Post Meridian
Objective: Destroy Meridians Main Beam Cannon

Problem:
no armenment i can carry can destroy that cannon, even 160 "Hellfires" will only take it down to ~85%
chances to stay alive long enough to fire all of them - zero.
i am unable to help anyone inside that suicide furball as those myrmidon fighters carry what the hell of a weaponset - they slice thrue my shilding with only a few hits - worst thing:
get close to the fight and beeing spawned with missels, tagged and AF-Beamed in a freaking made of paper Ulahn!

Evade the fight ok, but then meridian will anihilate the two UEFg Karunas -> Mission loss
so what?

What is the main thing i need to do to win this mission?

Playing on medium....
i realy hate those UEF Missles - they seldomly hit anything...
compare the UEF seekers to the AEO GTVA Missles and the Terran stuff looks and behaves almost like dumbfires....wich i wouldn't mind if they would at least destroy anything if they (seldomly hit) but to take down a myrmidon you need 4 HITS (with that dogfight missle) - as about 50% miss, you'll fire about 8 to kill on Fighter ... half the complement....

am i so damn bad?

best regards

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Make sure you're updated to the latest version of BP. Focus on Aquarius wing. If you take them out, Delta Wing should successfully take out the main beam for you.

author=Black-Sheep link=topic=70746.msg1805429#msg1805429 date=1448745066
am i so damn bad?

best regards

Yes. But don't worry, most people don't git gud quickly, you'll get the hang of it eventually. WiH is a lot more complex than retail   :)

OMG!

just did it.

But that mission is so damn hard!
i'd realy appreciate the standard dogfight missle of the UEF to be actual capable to hit not flying in a straight line....

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The problem isn't the missile, it's the ships you're shooting at. Enemies in BP2 are, I'm pretty sure, way better at using countermeasures and evading missiles.

Hellfires are perfectly capable of hitting targets, they're even faster than tempests! Unless you mean something else by 'standard dogfight missile'

last time i checked the hellfire was a dumbfire missle ;)

good vs bombers, but bombers aren't hard to hit anyway ;)

Well, I'd just consider dubmfires the basic dogfight missiles as they let you kill enemy fighters in quick snapshots.
I'm guessing you mean the Javelin then, which tracks about as well as the harpoon, furyAI is just a lot better at dodging them than your standard pushover retail AI.

When I flew the Draco in Aristeia, I noticed the shield indicator still used the old Draco profile. See attachment.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Played through AoA.  HOT SWARM is enough to give me nightmares.  BANSHEE also, um, grabs ones attention, let's say.  I'm not exactly clear on what they bright red asterisk on the one of the ships manifesting those behaviors was supposed to represent.  "Kill me, and the extra aggressive behavior cues go away?"  Somehow, I don't think so because that did not seem to happen.  Although maybe I was just so close by that point that even without modified behavior I was still missile-fodder.

Now playing through WiH.  Noticed a distinct change in the pilot log behavior from AoA.  AoA seemed to be giving a permanent record of each log entry after it was made.  Not so in WiH.  I only have the first and most recent log entries.  Everything in between is gone.  Was that intentional?  I'm also well into Act 2 and no additional dossier entries appeared for, say, Simms or Ng'Mie.  It may be this is deliberate, but it kind of surprised me given the level of detail that went into Brie and Kassim's respective dossiers.

The voice acting in WiH is superb.  WAY better than in AoA, though that may just be the fact that I enjoy the script of WiH so much better.  Did the VA for Simms also do work for the original BtRL demo?  I'm too lazy to look it up right now.  Regardless, outstanding quality of work there.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We must have ****ed up the BP2 journal somehow.

Here's something amusing I encountered: When playing through WIH's Universal Truth, I had a couple crash issues which caused me to play through it a couple times... on one of my playthroughs (but none of the others!), I ran into something:
Spoiler:
During one of the long tunnel scenes where you run from the Vishnans while listening to Aken's log, instead of hearing him recount his experience with initial Shivan contact, I was treated to Ricardo Laporte talking about how his stupid sister can't handle her drugs, and how she should turn her brain-ship around.

It was hilarious... and very creepy.  :blah:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Here's something amusing I encountered: When playing through WIH's Universal Truth, I had a couple crash issues which caused me to play through it a couple times... on one of my playthroughs (but none of the others!), I ran into something:
Spoiler:
During one of the long tunnel scenes where you run from the Vishnans while listening to Aken's log, instead of hearing him recount his experience with initial Shivan contact, I was treated to Ricardo Laporte talking about how his stupid sister can't handle her drugs, and how she should turn her brain-ship around.

It was hilarious... and very creepy.  :blah:

Hahahahaha I'm so glad that fired for someone. It's a pretty narrow set of conditions.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
YER CHOICES MATTER!