Author Topic: BtA: Mefistofele V1.1 [Release]  (Read 29513 times)

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Re: BtA: Mefistofele [Release]
I'm slightly surprised that no one has wondered about my rather odd credit.

MOAR AWESOMENESS added to current awesomeness ?!?  :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What Axem and BW said.

I'm super lame because I just can't get myself to write a review for some reason. I'll give a semi proper one on full release, I promise.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I'm slightly surprised that no one has wondered about my rather odd credit.

Does it have something to do with
Spoiler:
The Battle-Snail?  :P

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Does it have something to do with
Spoiler:
The Battle-Snail?  :P
Spoiler:
Obviously it would be another member that would have to do with the Battle Snail. Obviously.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Actually, the Battle Snail was made by Angelus.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goblix

Strange, I don't have any form of HUD when I launch into a mission. I've downloaded all the files and I'm running 3614 RC6.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You wouldn't be running some ridiculously low resolution, like smaller than 1024, would you ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Goblix

No definitely not. I'm running at 1920x1200. I've tried removing all custom flags as well as disabling launcher HUD and graphics options to no avail. I've also tried removing things like 3D radar icons seeing if it would be conflict. Still no HUD.

I'm sorry if I'm not being helpful, is there any information I could give you that might be able to help here?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Place this file in freespace2\bta demo\data\tables.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline Goblix

That did it! Thank you sir, I can't wait to play.

I'll post my thoughts once I've finished the demo, but I'll just say the briefing alone had me hooked, as well as the backstory you've posted.

good job building the demo
ive finished everything
the 2nd mission is alot of jumping
and easy to complete
but at the end the ship jumped in
but than its over i hope the full version completed soon

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
After playing through the demo for the 20'th time, I have figured out that the fighter class that Mustangs most quickly kill are other Mustangs.  They are easier to hit then an Angel, lack the shielding and power of the newer Apollos, and are generally cannon fodder for any any ace pilot in a medium fighter.

For a while I have suspected that heavier fighters become outdated more quickly then lighter fighters.  This definitely seems to be the case here.

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
Late to the party with this but I played it last night and enjoyed it a lot. Felt like a good piece of creative work with a distinct voice, like Blue Planet or Vassago's Dirge (or WoD but that goes without saying). High productions values which are pretty important, even expected perhaps, nowadays from FS mods. Sounds dumb but when I first booted it up I was impressed by the animation on the title in the main menu. Felt like a very mjn.mixael touch. 

The demo itself had a nice intriguing atmosphere and I felt was paced right. For just two missions the in-system jumping makes it feel like there's a lot more packed in there. The part with the detonator was cool and very satisfying, kind of cinematic as well which I appreciated. Looking forward to the full release, looks like another classic mod in the making.

/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I played it last night too (obviously a bit of a calender difference).

Spoiler:
All good fun, do the transports jump out EVERY time in mission one, or am i just a gun-nut? Never got to use the drones either, how do they initiate?
I don't like the container in mission two, it feels, syncy..........

I had a bit of an Issue with Alt+J returning me to desktop (in an Alt+Tab veil) but throwing CTRL into the mix seemed to allieviate the issue. Not sure whether i've got some sort of latent sticky keys thing going on. No other key combo's (Alt H / Alt M) result in the same thing.

Good mod all round. :yes: bring on more.

Spoiler:
I see the battle snail rolling in the lab, but in the campaign? Can has hint?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
All good fun, do the transports jump out EVERY time in mission one, or am i just a gun-nut? Never got to use the drones either, how do they initiate?
I don't like the container in mission two, it feels, syncy..........

Spoiler:
You are probably a gun nut. :lol: If you don't scare them too much then they will stick around and be quiet. The drones are initiated with the comm menu (attack my target command). They will fly toward the target to "repair" it but because of the hacking of your wingman, they will have an error and kamikaze the target instead.

You shouldn't admit that you don't like the container, because now it's coming for you...

I had a bit of an Issue with Alt+J returning me to desktop (in an Alt+Tab veil) but throwing CTRL into the mix seemed to allieviate the issue. Not sure whether i've got some sort of latent sticky keys thing going on. No other key combo's (Alt H / Alt M) result in the same thing.

Good mod all round. :yes: bring on more.

Odd, I can't say I've experienced issues with the keys there. The SEXP trigger is linked to the key bid for warp out, so if you change the key bind and still experience issues then it is (somehow) FSO and/or our mod. But I'm at a loss as to what could be causing that.

Glad you liked the mod though! :yes: We've got more coming.

Spoiler:
I see the battle snail rolling in the lab, but in the campaign? Can has hint?

Spoiler:
Watch the ending cutscene again.

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
This is simply one of the best campaign bit i ever played. Good dialogue writing - really nice to read,more then one approach to complete main objective also tip from Mr. Haupmann is always different,so no shortcut will work.  Love the details puted in to small things,like derelict ship stories descritpions from your wingman, etc etc...
Keep up the good work.
What if ?

Just finished. From what I'd read, my expectations were high enough, but you blew them away with flying colours.

Spoiler:
The attention to detail is amazing. The hulk background infos, the randomization of where the container is to be found. The blasted, sooty look of the container after the detonation! As if it went to hell and back - perhaps it did? :) 
The music was very well chosen, and the visuals in general were simply beautiful. I can confirm that the checkpoint does indeed work on Linux.

On the downside, as Rodo mentioned, the missions are rather fast-paced sometimes. As a non-native English speaker I found myself going through the comm log quite regularly, especially to figure out the, uh, 'unconventional' controls. In other places, the mission is just on the edge of dragging on, mostly because of a wide mission space combined with the lackluster speed of the Mustang. It would be nice if diverting extra energy to engines would increase max speed, even if just a little.

I did notice one or two typos along the way (M1, "Fire your breaking thrusters" comes to mind), and one little bug in the interface while changing my keyboard controls (there's a warning light with a bright green background). FSO compiled from trunk r9386, in case that's relevant.

Overall, a very high-quality release, and I'm looking forward to the full release!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I just spellchecked the missions. I'll have to punish our team member who's responsibility that is.  :p

We've got a few non-native English speakers on the team, I'll ask them to keep an eye on our message pacing. I'm curious what "unconventional" controls you are referring to. I try to make sure any special controls are noted in the Directives list. Perhaps I missed a couple? We talked about speeding up the Mustang a bit too, that is likely to happen. and we already made that change back in June.  :)

Thanks for the feedback! The demo campaign will be re-released with these changes/fixes and packed with the main campaign when it's done because it is sort of a prequel more than a demo.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:21:25 pm by mjn.mixael »

I'm curious what "unconventional" controls you are referring to. I try to make sure any special controls are noted in the Directives list. Perhaps I missed a couple?

No, they were all in the directive list alright, but the description there is necessarily short. I found myself wondering 'Hey, how the hell can I suddenly do that?', especially for the one in M2.

Oh, two more details (forgot to mention them yesterday):

Spoiler:
In the first mission you're allowed to choose your loadout, but there's no spare cannons, missiles or fighters to choose from. So why not make it a scramble mission? Now, that in itself is not a major issue, but then the next one is a scramble mission. For the sake of consistency, one of those should be changed (IMVHO).

I also found it odd that in M2, where you've only got Furies, my wingman was complaining about aspect lock so much. Did he have access to resources that his wing leader didn't have?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think I opted for the first mission not to be a scramble just so the player can see the ship they are flying.

Spoiler:
Then, given that these guys are black market smugglers, we assumed anyone could have any loadout with the assumption that they bought it off the black market. The player is just cheap! :p And yes, in m2, Alpha 2 has Hornets.