Author Topic: extracting 3d ship models ?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline zibafu

extracting 3d ship models ?
Hi, I am wondering if it possible to extract some of the ship models from the game to import into another game ?

I am playing space engineers and found out yesterday you can import ship models into that game quite easily so quite fancy seeing some of the capital ships in my space engineers world.

cheers.

edit* or do the vanilla game ship models already exist somewhere to be downloaded ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: extracting 3d ship models ?
You'll need at least two, possibly more tools. The first is a VP editor, which allows you to open the .vp archive files the game data is stored in. The second is PCS2, which is the program used to open and edit the .pof model files FS uses. Once you have a model opened in PCS2, you can export it to Collada, which you can then further convert into a format Space Engineers understands (unless SE supports Collada directly, in which case no further conversion may be needed)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline zibafu

could swear I replied to this earlier :o

Anyway, try again, cheers for responding, Ive downloaded those programs, where/what vp file/s do I need to access ?

And I assume you extract something from them to then load into pcs2 ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The retail models are all in sparky_fs2.vp, you can find them in the models folder in there. In order to find out which model file is which ship, you should check the wiki.

For MediaVPs models, they can be found in MV_assets.vp.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline zibafu

ty for answering, unless I am being blind on the wiki, I cant see anything that gives reference to whats what for the model id's

Open root-fs2.vp and search in the tables\ships.tbl for each ship the line "$pof file:" gives you the name of the model used (for the retail, note that for the mediavps some ships have their model name changed like the colossus but most of them keep the same name)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The ships.tbl (or *-shp.tbm) files are the Source of Truth.  The wiki also has the info in the modding resources section of the ship pages (example).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...