Author Topic: <SOLVED> Error on Final Mission WiH 2  (Read 1549 times)

Offline BigJerk

<SOLVED> Error on Final Mission WiH 2
I am currently experiencing an error upon loading the final mission of WiH 2.  After clicking "Play" from the command hall, it proceeds to load the mission, and then produces the errors mentioned below.  I have played through the entire BP campaign on previous versions of FSO, and decided it was time to sate my hunger again.  What a shame to get to the final point only to be denied!

System Specs:

Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
NVidia GEFORCE GTX 965M

FSO:

FS2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX)
FS2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX) Debug (for fs2_open.log file)

Upon first error, generated in standard fs2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX), received this error message:

Malloc Failed!

Upon second error, generated in standard fs2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX), received this error message:

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 213 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! Error + 230 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! bm_lock_dds + 72 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! bm_load_image_data + 265 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! bm_lock + 135 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! opengl_create_texture + 167 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! gr_opengl_tcache_set_internal + 174 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! gr_opengl_preload + 100 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! bm_page_in_stop + 61 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! level_page_in + 148 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 111 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! game_post_level_init + 118 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! game_start_mission + 357 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! game_enter_state + 277 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! gameseq_set_state + 146 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! gameseq_process_events + 131 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! game_main + 522 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! WinMain + 222 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX.exe! __scrt_common_main_seh + 253 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 143 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 90 bytes

Upon third error, generated in FS2 Open 3.7.4 (AVX) Debug, received this message:

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! Error + 284 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! _vm_malloc + 121 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! bm_malloc + 200 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! bm_lock_dds + 163 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! bm_load_image_data + 651 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! bm_lock + 723 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! opengl_create_texture + 379 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! gr_opengl_tcache_set_internal + 175 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! gr_opengl_tcache_set + 118 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! gr_opengl_preload + 137 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! bm_page_in_stop + 261 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! level_page_in + 173 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 206 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! game_post_level_init + 177 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! game_start_mission + 377 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! game_enter_state + 520 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_set_state + 303 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! game_process_event + 242 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 149 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 787 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 328 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! invoke_main + 30 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! __scrt_common_main_seh + 346 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! __scrt_common_main + 13 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_AVX-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 8 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 143 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 90 bytes

Attached is the fs2_open.log.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Spoiler!!!

I've never let Noemi go insane on this mission, so I finally decided to play around with it, only to suffer an error!  I guess Noemi decided she wasn't going insane today.

FYI, I'm currently operating on extremely slow Iraqi internet, so if I need to download the latest FSO version, it may not happen for a month or two.  I'm hoping there's a way I can fix this with the 3.7.4 version instead of having to download 3.7.5.

Thanks so much, and watch the beams (because I don't).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:10:20 am by BigJerk »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Error on Final Mission WiH 2
A malloc failure basically means FSO is running out of RAM. You can either get a 64-bit version of FSO (which, assuming your computer has more physical RAM than a 32-bit application can address (which it ought to in this day and age), will give it more RAM to play with so it won't run out as easily), or you can reduce RAM consumption by not using the advanced texture VPs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BigJerk

Re: Error on Final Mission WiH 2
A malloc failure basically means FSO is running out of RAM. You can either get a 64-bit version of FSO (which, assuming your computer has more physical RAM than a 32-bit application can address (which it ought to in this day and age), will give it more RAM to play with so it won't run out as easily), or you can reduce RAM consumption by not using the advanced texture VPs.

So if I understand this correctly, it's not really that I don't have enough available RAM, but that the build I'm using is a 32 bit build?  I just downloaded the most recent build I could find (3.7.4 RC1 AVX), but I suffered the same problem.  I removed the advanced textures and it worked fine.  I get the impression there is no 64 bit build for FSO?  Also, after doing some searching, I noticed someone else suffered the same problem, in the same place, on the same mission.  I wonder what's special about that mission over other missions.  Anyway, thanks for all the help man, now I can finally lose my mind (up in here?)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: <SOLVED> Error on Final Mission WiH 2
Well, you have lots of ram memory and I suppose there's no way you're using a 32-bit OS. So that can't be a problem.
I suggest checking out latest nightly builds (there's a full board for them), I think all of 3.7.5 FSO have a 64-bit download link there.
Well, it's not actually a 64-bit game engine, it just can allocate more memory (or something like that).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: <SOLVED> Error on Final Mission WiH 2

So if I understand this correctly, it's not really that I don't have enough available RAM, but that the build I'm using is a 32 bit build?
You understand that correctly; that would be why I said FSO, in particular, is running out of RAM; 32-bit applications can only address 2 GB of RAM (unless they have the Large Address Aware flag, which can bump that up to 4 GB, but while we could have released LAA-enabled builds, it was decided that proper 64-bit builds were the better way to go).

I just downloaded the most recent build I could find (3.7.4 RC1 AVX), but I suffered the same problem.
Uh... that's not even the most recent stable release. We had a few release candidates for 3.7.4, but here's a link to the final build (you can also use the FSO Installer, the download lists for which we try to update every time there's a new version of FSO).

I removed the advanced textures and it worked fine.
That would be why I told you to remove them. ;)

I get the impression there is no 64 bit build for FSO?
Not for 3.7.4 (unless you really go out of your way and try to make the 3.7.4 source compileable in 64-bit, but there's not much point of that), but current builds are available in 64-bit.

Also, after doing some searching, I noticed someone else suffered the same problem, in the same place, on the same mission.  I wonder what's special about that mission over other missions.
It's very, very large; it's really that simple. It's just a very big mission using lots of big, memory-intensive assets, and if you try to use even more memory-intensive textures on a 32-bit build, it just very often chokes and dies because it's running out of free memory in sufficiently-large contiguous blocks to allocate.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.