Author Topic: How to fix flying through a ship  (Read 2242 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
How to fix flying through a ship
I have a bit of problem with a ship model, the problem is that I can fly through the hull of the parts of the ship.

Now the parts of the model in question I have used on other models and I have no issue with them, they are all solid.

How do I fix this problem as I never encountered it before.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: How to fix flying through a ship
Now the parts of the model in question I have used on other models and I have no issue with them, they are all solid.

Does that mean that those parts are submodels you've imported from other models? If so then I'd first check your model (not submodel) radius and bounding boxes. Those are used for culling collisions, so if a part of your ship is actually outside its nominal bounding box and/or radius, that part will (probably, usually) not collide with anything.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah it's the way I modelled my republic fleet, as in universe they are modular in fleet design. So I have a master file with are the ship parts modelled as separate pieces so I can interchange.

So is the bounding boxes fixable in PCS?

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Darius

Purge BSP cache from drop down menus, see if that works.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The model bounding box and radius (in the Header tab) are by default calculated, I think, based on all submodels (possibly including shield mesh), but it doesn't get recalculated when you import extra submodels, so in those cases you probably need to just tweak the values by hand or do a save/load (and possibly use the reset buttons next to the bbox and radius after that?) and hope that doesn't mess anything up.

Also note that the targeting brackets are drawn around Detail-0, so I think you usually want it to have the same bbox values.

I often have submodels extending outside the Detail-0 bbox, in which case my usual workflow is to either tweak the values by hand for Detail-0 and just check by eye that it's about right and then copy the values over to the Header tab, or to actually do the simple arithmetic based on the submodels' offset and bbox values to get the exact model-wide bbox values.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cool cheers guys :)