Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 913085 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Need to know what track you used on that video Darius plz.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Lovely and intense, but then again, I'd expect nothing less from BP.

If I may ask, how do the tanks smoothly move across ground? Well-placed waypoints? A special script or something? Conveniently flat ground?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Rhys

CAS in Freespace 2? What? I like this.

Really not a fan of that cel shading.

Kind of agree, gives it a Borderlands-like look, which fit that story fine, but, in my opinion, doesn't really fit the BP atmosphere all too well.

Offline FIZ

It looked [the cel shading] to me like a mod just for atmospheric missions to help see objects in the background.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Agreed, in the context of atmospheric perspective. Which is integral to any artistic rendering.  The cell shading is fine. As long as the complex or fortress is a reasonable distance.
(Which would make it the size of mount fuji) :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

I've been out of the loop too long. These look amaze balls.

Can has full RL name on credits?

Of course. This goes for anyone else as well, let me know if you want to be credited by pseudonym or real name.

BP won't be shipping with cel-shading, it's something I've got set up on my end.

Offline CT27

I also looked on Amazon and "Liberty Shield" (they sometimes have tracks for purchase iTunes doesn't) and it wasn't available for buying there either.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Awesomes. Reminds me a bit of Incoming ahahah

Lots of qs raised, like why invade Marz when you could just go Earths, etc... wheeeee~~
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Woah. BP team continues to break down the walls of what I thought possible in Freespace. Nice job guys!
Not sure if this is a nitpick, but are strike craft built for space combat viable for atmosphere? I Think I read that the Uhlan is, but some other craft don't look so streamlined for atmo.

Offline CT27

One more question on this music issue I've been having:

Would it be worth it to ask Immediate Music on Facebook where I can purchase "Liberty Shield" (since it's not available on Amazon or iTunes)?

Also, I was advised earlier to possibly extract the song out of the VPs.  Just to be sure, that's legal as long as I only use the file for my personal listening (i.e. don't sell it) correct?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also, I was advised earlier to possibly extract the song out of the VPs.  Just to be sure, that's legal as long as I only use the file for my personal listening (i.e. don't sell it) correct?
No, but BP's usage of it isn't strictly legal either.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Rhys

Wouldn't the usage of that music fall under fair use, assuming that the music was legally acquired and not used for profit?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We sure hope so! Probably wouldn't hold up to a challenge.

Offline Hellzed

Is there something as a Blue Planet digital "booklet" ( a nicely presented pdf with some instructions, advice, story, maybe Morrigan in the Sunglare ) ?

No, mostly because nobody's had the idea until now. It could be pretty cool if someone did make it, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wouldn't the usage of that music fall under fair use, assuming that the music was legally acquired and not used for profit?
I don't think Blue Planet can be classified as "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote from: Wikipedia
To justify the use as fair, one must demonstrate how it either advances knowledge or the progress of the arts through the addition of something new. A key consideration is the extent to which the use is interpreted as transformative, as opposed to merely derivative.
While one could make an argument that the usage of the music within the context of BP is a transformative use of the music, the fact that the original music files are available to listen to at any time outside of that context simply by extracting them from the VP file means it would be difficult to argue against an accusation of piracy (assuming anyone decided to make that big a fuss about a free mod... which, unfortunately, companies have done before).

We all hope that Blue Planet basically flies under anyone's radar, but I can't imagine any judge classifying it as "fair use".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Rhys

While one could make an argument that the usage of the music within the context of BP is a transformative use of the music, the fact that the original music files are available to listen to at any time outside of that context simply by extracting them from the VP file means it would be difficult to argue against an accusation of piracy (assuming anyone decided to make that big a fuss about a free mod... which, unfortunately, companies have done before).

We all hope that Blue Planet basically flies under anyone's radar, but I can't imagine any judge classifying it as "fair use".

Another thing to consider is how you can find much of this music on Youtube despite their DMCA enforcement. While a few of those videos are often taken down, would this not be considered a gray area of fair use? I do suppose though that a C&D could be issued to the BP team if it were a real issue. While a popular mod, it could remain under the DMCA radar. I would be very upset if a cease and desist were issued for BP.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Just the presence of a song on youtube doesn't say anything about whether the artist gives permission for others to use it, and it definitely doesn't make a case for fair use. On youtube, the burden of filling out forms for issuing formal DMCA notices falls to the copyright holders, and there are quite a few reasons not to be bothered with them (they take time and energy to issue, they are really easy to get around, they make people angry at you, there's very little money in it, etc.)

There is really nothing "grey area" with this M.O.--every download pushes up the unpaid royalties liability. I would guess that short of downloads in the hundreds of thousands it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to pursue, but I'm not an IP lawyer or a ruthless amoral copyright holding corporation so I dunno.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
There seems to be a file mixed up in bp2-visuals1.vp (both the one from FSmods and wherever the FSO installer is pointed at) :

The file "krnamain-shine.dds" is actually identical with "krnadets-shine.dds", wihch leads ugly debris shines all over the main hull. I found the correct "krnamain-shine.dds" in an older VP.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:28:31 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea