Author Topic: The Warhammer  (Read 2436 times)

Offline mikeva1

the Warhammer was effectively banned from Classic Battletech and from the PC games due to copyright issues (at least that is my understanding). Could someone create a mech that is functionally the same (2 PPC's etc) but looks different enough to avoid the copyright problems and any other legal issues that may be out there? I and a friend of mine LOVE the Warhammer and would like to see it come back..... even if it has a different name.
  I know NOTHING about how to create the picture(s) that are necessary and just as much about the coding end (although I am trying to learn - not a lot out there to help a noobie)

The Warhammer is in MCO, along with quite a few of the un-seens/re-seens. The reason this game can have these mechs available, as I understand, is that it is a non-profit project and therefore does not profit from the use of these models.

Offline mikeva1

I have not run across it yet which is why I started this thread.

Have you looked in the editor (assuming you can, based on what your other threads show)?
It's under "Objects" --> "'Mechs Heavy and Assault" --> "Warhammer" (second from bottom).

The best place to check for all in-game units is in the Editor.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
the Warhammer was effectively banned from Classic Battletech and from the PC games due to copyright issues (at least that is my understanding). Could someone create a mech that is functionally the same (2 PPC's etc) but looks different enough to avoid the copyright problems and any other legal issues that may be out there? I and a friend of mine LOVE the Warhammer and would like to see it come back..... even if it has a different name.
  I know NOTHING about how to create the picture(s) that are necessary and just as much about the coding end (although I am trying to learn - not a lot out there to help a noobie)

As Raven IIC pointed out, the Warhammer and Warhammer IIC are both already in game, as are a litany of Unseen including the Marauder, Marauder IIC, Rifleman, Rifleman IIC, Crusader, Archer, Valkyrie, and Longbow. I sent Magic my (untextured) Wasp and Stinger models a few days ago, so it's probably only a matter of time before those are in as well.

(Note: Due to the BT licenseholder's agreements with the holders of Dougram and Crusher Joe, the Locust, Locust IIC, Shadow Hawk, BattleMaster and Thunderbolt aren't really Unseen anymore, which is why I left them out of that list despite the fact they're also currently in MCO.)

As far as similar designs to the WHM are concerned, the BattleAxe and Hammerhands are probably your best bet. However, the H-H is heavier and slower, and uses dual AC10s instead of PPCs.

If you want, I can add one or both to my "to do" queue, but they'll be pretty far down the list, since the priority right now is mainly lights and mediums. It'd be much more likely to happen if you decided to do the models yourself, tho. Heck, I taught myself the basics while doing the Vindicator a few weeks ago. (Still can't texture for the life of me tho.)

PM me or hit me up on Skype, and i'll be happy to pass on what little I know about the process :)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline mikeva1

I have never heard of the the BattleAxe and Hammerhands, so doing without them is nothing I worry about. Personally, I would worry about others like the Wasp and Stinger that were "common" 20 years ago when 3rd ed of Battletech came out and had the 12 plastic mechs included. THOSE are the ones I would like to see along with any of the plastic mechs fro the Citytech (????) set of the same period.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I have never heard of the the BattleAxe and Hammerhands, so doing without them is nothing I worry about. Personally, I would worry about others like the Wasp and Stinger that were "common" 20 years ago when 3rd ed of Battletech came out and had the 12 plastic mechs included. THOSE are the ones I would like to see along with any of the plastic mechs fro the Citytech (????) set of the same period.

If you're just coming back to BT after a long break, I don't blame you for not having gotten a hold of (or heard of) TRO:3075. There's a whole section of it devoted to designs from before the Star League, so even the stubbornest of 3025-only grognards will have a good read I think. :)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Some recent news on the Unseen/Reseen issue(among other things).

Semi-relevant tl;dr:
Spoiler:
Catalyst has finally decided to retcon the original Unseen art out, and replace it with what's looking to be pretty good replicas, with enough visual reworking to keep the lawyers away.