Author Topic: Tangent  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why's there a Kismat there? Are the Shivans allies now? ;7

I can say in all honesty that the Shivans are most certainly not allies.
Indeed the Shivans themselves appear in...... no missions.  ;)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then what's up with the Kismat???  :drevil:

Read my words.... carefully....

Funny how you ask about the Kismat rather than the Malias....
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
After extensive thinking, I still can't see any Malias. The closest thing to a Malia is that thing at the right side of the screen...  :confused:

You're even more cryptic than Woo (but not :v: :p).

After extensive thinking, I still can't see any Malias. The closest thing to a Malia is that thing at the right side of the screen...  :confused:

You're even more cryptic than Woo (but not :v: :p).

Rest assured there are two (2) Malias in that picture, and neither of them are that "thing on the right side".
I'm flattered that you think me cryptic, for that's what I'm aiming for.
Some things I won't tell you:
1. Why there are Shivan and Ancient ships in that picture.
2. Why Earth is anywhere near a Knossos.
3. What any of those ships are doing so close to the Knossos in the first place.  :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Topic split AGAIN.  Guys, stop spamming Skippy's thread.  It's extremely rude.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Damn, for a second there I thought there was some cool new campaign in the works. Well... if nobody else is making a campaign called 'Tangent', I might as well get on it!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Damn, for a second there I thought there was some cool new campaign in the works. Well... if nobody else is making a campaign called 'Tangent', I might as well get on it!

:lol: That's a good idea.  It would make an intriguing title.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Me too!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, sorry, people.

Ooops. I was like Tangent? Started by Snail?? What? I didn't start something called 'Tangent'?  :lol:

Me too!

Me too! There can be 3 campaigns with the same name  :p.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Work out common starting premise and then go off at Tangents :p

FS2 Missions as high concept art :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Yeah, how about we get a basic template for a mission [or small campaign], doll it out to the community, and just let people go off on tangents making conceptual missions, as much FS2 missions as unique works of art. Y'know, something like the infamous YMCA we all know an love.

Then, we put up all of them in a sort of HLP Pompidou Centre, for players far and wide to be amused, bemused, and just downright confused by the collective artistic instanity of HLP.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That totally needs to be done. Like right now.

A collection of bizarre missions that have limited realtion to a central plot? I love this idea!  :yes: :yes: :yes:
We'd have to agree on what mods to include though, if we hope to release the missions together...

Goober's idle naming of a split thread created a new idea! :ha:

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
A more abstract route would be to have each mission/small campaign connected through a central concept rather than plot. Either would be very cool though, given an interesting template.

Perhaps it's too early for this, but I'll put forward two ideas I've had for campaigns for a while that could work for this:
- Alternate FS history.
- Music. Base it around a set piece of music (which ideally would be decided upon by the participants); with the right song this could work any number of ways, from the entries simply being inspired by the music, to reenacting an interpretation of its lyrics.

People with more ideas should also post them. This project has an awful lot of potential.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
That's the spirit! I'm thinking someone knocks up a very general mission/campaign [we're talking just basic ships, sexp's and soforth, the bare-bones essentials to a mission/campaign] and give FRED'ers the wide choice of whether to create an abstract story based off the template, something really artsy and pretentious, or engage in Monty Pythonesque silliness. Barney's Space Adventure springs to mind...

Although, as you suggested, a mission set perfectly to a piece of music would be unbelievably ace. There would indeed be something truly awe-inspiring to have a precisely choreographed mission set to Beethoven's 5th, even if the player is merely relegated to the sidelines for the more script-heavy parts.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Under the "Tangent" heading people could name their campaigns as per release chronology. (ie) Only name it on upload and announcement in forum.

So the first person to release would be called: "Tangent (The First Divergance)"...

Thoughs?
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That's the spirit! I'm thinking someone knocks up a very general mission/campaign [we're talking just basic ships, sexp's and soforth, the bare-bones essentials to a mission/campaign] and give FRED'ers the wide choice of whether to create an abstract story based off the template, something really artsy and pretentious, or engage in Monty Pythonesque silliness. Barney's Space Adventure springs to mind...

Although, as you suggested, a mission set perfectly to a piece of music would be unbelievably ace. There would indeed be something truly awe-inspiring to have a precisely choreographed mission set to Beethoven's 5th, even if the player is merely relegated to the sidelines for the more script-heavy parts.
Hold on... what I meant was those ideas could be the template. It's no matter though, I just assumed we were going to be deciding on some predefined theme as the template rather than an actual mission file.

If we're going to be basing the missions on a premade FRED template then, precisely what do you mean by 'basic ships and sexps'? And if I'm understanding you, participants would have to include whatever came with the mission, but not be limited to it?

Small suggestion: what if a single line of dialogue was included in the mission -- something contextless that could be made to mean just about anything -- and it was left up to the FREDer to choose how to use it in the mission?