Author Topic: Fade Out issues  (Read 9923 times)

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
With 3.6.14 RC 4 I'm having an odd issue with the fade out sexp - a single call results in a rapid succession of fade outs and fade ins, which sometimes never stops. Is this some oddity on my end, a bug with FSO or a new feature I haven't been informed of?

Tested, and this doesn't occur with fs2_open_3_6_13d_INF-20111102_r7938.exe (only other build I had to hand).

If this is already being addressed then just ignore me - but I couldn't find it in the Mantis to fix list.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline Eli2

This is the mantis issue for the code change.
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2538
Can you attach a faulty mission there, so that i can reproduce it ?

EDIT: grammar
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:13:10 pm by Eli2 »

Same here just saw that
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
I haven't much time at the moment to thoroughly test - but my issue looks like the opposite of the Mantis description. With a 5000msec fade everything is fine, but a 500msec one causes problems. Uploaded mission to that mantis report anyway.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline -Norbert-

Fade in/out bugged in RC4?
When I switch to the new 3.6.14 RC4 build most fade in and fade outs are bugged. Instead of going steady from black to color (or the other way round), it restarts over and over, untill it is at full color.
Artemis station is even worse. The first fade in works as described above, but after the 2nd fade in, when the Nelson jumped in, it constantly keeps going black and fading in every 2 seconds for the rest of the cutscene.
In Sunglare, the first fade in works fine, but all the fade ins during the playing of "unborn child" are bugged again, though only over the period they should run, not like the one in Artemis Station.

When generating the debug log, I started artemis station from the techroom and ended the game when the GTVA fleet came into view.

I also tried to look at an ingame-cutscene from WoD (Vega Blockade) with the same build, but that worked fine, so I decided post my problem here first, instead of the RC4 release thread.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline Eli2

The mistake in my patch was,
i used the the calculated current alpha, to determine if the fade is over.
That is not a sane solution, so i check the timestamp now.
The fix is in mantis.

Offline -Norbert-

Can I apply the .patch file to my computer and if yes, how?

Offline Eli2

Option A: compile from source.

Option B: get someone to do Option A for you.
Option C: wait for RC5 or a possible nightly trunk build.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business

This please... (ya know, for us poor fellas who don't know all those techy thingies...)
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Woooh, this fade out effect in RC4 is pretty funky like this.
'cept if you suffer from epilepsy, then it's probably just seizure inducing  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Thought I'd gone and deleted something I shouldn't have  :shaking:
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Option A: compile from source.

Option C: wait for RC5 or a possible nightly trunk build.

Option D: An hero
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline -Norbert-

I tried to build a new exe with the patch, but Visual Studio complains about missing platform-toolsets, even though I did a full install. Well... I guess it doesn't work with the trial version alone and I'll have to wait for options B or C.

Offline Eli2

I tried to build a new exe with the patch, but Visual Studio complains about missing platform-toolsets, even though I did a full install. Well... I guess it doesn't work with the trial version alone and I'll have to wait for options B or C.
It should compile with visual studio express, posting your build errors would help to get this sorted out.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The "platform-toolsets" you are looking for is called the "Windows SDK" you can find it on http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8279 or http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8442 as set of ISOs. It must be installed separately from visual studio.

Otherwise, I agree with Eli2, without the actual error message we cannot help you further.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline -Norbert-

I didn't post the exact error, because I thought it was due to the test version. I'll give it another try tomorrow then.

Edit:
Now I installed the Windows SDK, but it still won't work. Unfortunately I installed the Visual Studio in german and the only language options are "german" and "as in Windows" which amounts to the same thing, unless I swtich the OS language....

I opened up the file "projects\MSVC_2011\FreeSpace2.sln" and tried to rightclick-> compile "FreeSpace.ccp", I tried "Erstellen" which translates to "create" on both the Bold "FreeSpace2" and the Projectmap itself and lastly I tried "create batch" on the project map (where I selected the three release inferno builds). Everytime I get the same error message between 1 and 19 times.

Code: [Select]
------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Freespace2, Konfiguration: Release Inferno SSE2 Win32 ------
Der Buildvorgang wurde am 31.01.2012 12:02:07 gestartet.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(511,5): error MSB8008: Das angegebene Plattformtoolset (v110) ist nicht installiert oder ungültig. Stellen Sie sicher, dass ein unterstützter PlatformToolset-Wert ausgewählt wurde.

Fehler beim Erstellen

Verstrichene Zeit 00:00:00.01
========== Erstellen: 0 erfolgreich, Fehler bei 19, 0 aktuell, 0 übersprungen ==========

In case it helps, I'll try to translate as best I can:

Code: [Select]
----  Creation started: Project: Freespace2, Configuration: Release Inferno SSE2 Win32  ----
The buildingprocess was started on 31.01.2012 12:02:07.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(511,5): error MSB8008: The stated platform toolset (v110) is not installed or invalid. Make sure, a supported platformtoolset value is selected.

Error in creation

elapsed time 00:00:00.01
===== Creating: 0 successfull, Error in 19, 0 current, 0 skiped ====

This particular error message is the last of 19 similar messages (differing only in the first line) when I used "create batch".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:20:44 am by -Norbert- »

Offline -Norbert-

:bump:
So anyone have an idea what's wrong on my end of the compiling process?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you edited your previous post.

It looks like you are trying to build the 2011 project with the wrong version of the compilers installed.

To verify the version of Visual Studio that you are using, check About Visual Studio under the help menu.  If it does say that you are using VS2011, then you will need to get the Windows 8 SDK from the same place that you got VS2011, otherwise use the project that belongs to the version of visual studio that you are using.

If that still doesn't help, download VS2010 Express and try with that, we know that VS2010 Express will build FSO using the VS2010 project.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Especially since the VS 2011 is still in a testing phase, not production-ready yet.  If you're just getting into a project like this, I'd steer clear of something that bleeding edge.  VS2010 has been in use by several devs for some time and should have a lot less headache.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline -Norbert-

So the foldername meant, what version of VS to use.... that certainly explains why I couldn't compile the 2011 folder with VS 2010 :o

Thanks to all the help I got here, I was finally able to compile the whole thing.
And the Fade-out/in bug is gone. While the exes do show up 89 warnings on startup, I havn't come across any actual problem so far while playing.

Which get's me to "Option B" ;) Included are all the inferno release exe files (no see, sse1 and sse2).