Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908149 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Is it just me, or do the briefing tech anis (like when you get introduced to the Kentauri) kind of stuttery? I mean, I'm fine with it if that's how they're recorded. I'm more worried about something being configured wrong on my system.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
If you mean microsoft mary sucks, thats normal.

Though there is probably a problem if there are little chunks of silence mixed into the audio.

Offline Darius

Dekker: had no internet for the past two weeks. I haven't forgotten, dont' worry!

The stutter is in the graphical tech ani rather than the audio. We're aware of it, though I thought the Kent entry was the only one that really stuttered.

Offline Kolgena

I only noticed the Kent entry, so that's all I meant.

Thanks!

I read on TvTropes.com the entry for BP & over there it mentioned that there was a separate mission why Captain Gennady chose to stand his ground & help the other Wargods retreat in the last mission .. Could someone pls point me where can i get my hands on that mission?? I would very much like to get it !

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The mission you are after is "The Blade Itself".  It's in a separate campaign (1 mission long) so just select it from the campaign screen.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Actually, The Blade Itself is not related to Delenda Est in any immediate way.  TBI takes place before the beginning of the main campaign by between a few hours and a few days.

Actually, The Blade Itself is not related to Delenda Est in any immediate way.  TBI takes place before the beginning of the main campaign by between a few hours and a few days.

The relationship, from the TBI success debriefing:

Spoiler:
They say that every time you sacrifice someone, you build up a debt to Fate - as if the people you killed for your own purposes, no matter how noble, are waiting to even the scales. Fate is patient, but eventually, she always comes to collect.

I'm not a religious man, though god knows Ellen has worked on me. But here's my prayer, Fate - such as it is.

Next time I have to make a call like this one, make sure my life is on the other side of the ledger. I never wanted to be a man who doesn't pay his debts.

Offline Kolgena

Whoa, totally missed that connection before you pointed it out.

Spoiler:
I like how he doesn't give a damn about whether his crew wants to live or die, lol

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
He's the Captain. In the absence of him doing something insanely risky, they do have neither cause nor right to remove him. And I am very certain that, while Gennady may feel guilt over what happened there, he wasn't going to go all suicidal.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

In Delanda Est, the Altan Orde and Katana had jumped in more recently than the Indus and Yangtze, so it would have probably taken longer for their drives to recharge once the Imperieuse crashed the party. Since the Altan Orde and Katana were already well inside beam range, they were probably going to be destroyed even if they attempted to flee. The right decision in this case was pretty clear-cut.

Offline Mafu

Please, I beg of you, for the next part please slide the story enough to the side to give me a chance to actually play the game.  Missions seem to fall into two camps:

Camp 1: The mission grabs the difficulty bat and hammers you into the ground with it (i especially loved defending a station from wave, after wave, after wave, oh my god SSM's, after wave, only to lose at the very end when a destroyer jumped in and got its stupid self blown up forcing a restart on an already long mission).

Camp 2:  The mission has only token enemies that pose no challenge and only serve as a vehicle for ten to fifteen minute banter between pilots.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Checkpoints generally help with your "camp 1" missions, although I can't remember off the top of my head if "The Darkest Hour" (which I think you were referring to) uses them or not.

I've had my fair share of moments like you describe, getting rammed by the Hood jumping out, or getting hit by the Medeas slash beams, both in Ariesta (which wins my prize for hardest mission to beat so far!)   :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mafu

Ok, maybe I need to take back my critique... is there some way to turn checkpoints on that I'm not realizing?  If there is I'll take back at least some of what I'm saying as my biggest grip is definitively Camp 1 ( Camp 2 just feels like a waste of time for the sake of exposition which is annoying but not joystick hurling inducing).

I hear you on Ariesta, if that's the one I'm thinking of I ended up just skipping it to get on with the story after about the 20th attempt ended with me just getting slapped from the sky by an errant beam and told myself I would come back and do it later.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If there's a mission you just can't seem to get past, you can play the rest of the campaign from the tech room by going there and pressing ctrl + shift + s (I'm pretty sure that's the command).  That will unlock every mission, and you can just play them in order from there.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ok, maybe I need to take back my critique... is there some way to turn checkpoints on that I'm not realizing?  If there is I'll take back at least some of what I'm saying as my biggest grip is definitively Camp 1 ( Camp 2 just feels like a waste of time for the sake of exposition which is annoying but not joystick hurling inducing).

You don't need to turn on checkpoints, you just need to select them in the 1st 10 seconds of a mission after you restart.  Each checkpoint is triggered by reaching a certain point in the mission.  e.g. in the 1st mission, after all the dialogue you might see a message flash up saying "Checkpoint saved".  If you die after this point, when you restart the mission, you can restart from the checkpoint by using the reinforcements menu.  C-4-1 I think... (but don't quote me).  Anyway, you should see a message in those 1st 10 seconds of a restarted mission saying "select a checkpoint from the reinforcements menu"

Some missions have multiple checkpoints, e.g. Delenda Est (final mission)

Please note that the checkpoint doesn't save the entire state of the mission.  e.g. your 2ndary loadout status & killcount (plus probably other) variables are not saved. (I think this is a limitation of the current version of the game engine).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:42:52 am by niffiwan »
----
----

Offline -Norbert-

And most long dialogues can be skiped by pulling the trigger.

Offline Mafu

You don't need to turn on checkpoints, you just need to select them in the 1st 10 seconds of a mission after you restart.  Each checkpoint is triggered by reaching a certain point in the mission.  e.g. in the 1st mission, after all the dialogue you might see a message flash up saying "Checkpoint saved".  If you die after this point, when you restart the mission, you can restart from the checkpoint by using the reinforcements menu.  C-4-1 I think... (but don't quote me).  Anyway, you should see a message in those 1st 10 seconds of a restarted mission saying "select a checkpoint from the reinforcements menu"

Huh, I never even realized this was a feature in the game, probably would have saved me some gray hairs.  Certainly never saw any message like the one you describe, but the first 10 seconds of any given mission (especially the difficult ones where they would come in handy) are usually devoted to me quickly shooting out individual wingman orders, selecting proper missile banks/firing modes, getting to 100% thrust (seriously why do missions never start you at full thrust?  Why would you ever want to fly at 1/3 in a combat zone?), etc. so I've probably just been missing them.

This is a feature that really should have been pointed out at the very start of the campaign, possibly through the same feature that allows the story screens before some command briefings.  Just a simple "hey, there are checkpoints in this game and this is how you use them" would save some serious levels of frustration, I can't be the only person to have never realized that this feature existed.

Offline Mafu

And most long dialogues can be skiped by pulling the trigger.

This I did know, mainly just by impatiently pressing buttons waiting for the mission to start after I died once.