Author Topic: Any fellow WhiteWolf / 'World of Darkness' fans here?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Any fellow WhiteWolf / 'World of Darkness' fans here?
(Aaaaaand there goes my street-cred. :lol:)

But nah I'm a big fan of the table-top RPG series and going by how their KickStarters have been going (one of them was funded in 18 minutes and ended up over 800% of the target or something) it seems far more popular a series than I imagined, so was curious if there were any other enthusiasts on here and what their experiences have been?

For those unaware 'World of Darkness' is an old dice-and-paper-based role-play franchise (I would assume not unlike Dungeons and Dragons though have never played that) set in an alternate universe modern day (essentially our world but [even more] dark and horrible). The players play supernatural characters (Vampires was the main one, there was then Warewolves, Mages, Ghosts etc) and it's primarily about survival horror and their political struggles hiding among normal humans (for mature minds this; no sparkly vampires here! :yes:). Appreciate it may sound a bit weird or silly to some but that is just my words not giving it justice. Encourage anyone and everyone given the chance to give it a try; get the right people together and the right storyteller (aka dungeon master) and it's the most fun you'll ever have. Sadly White Wolf the company is no more but a load of the creators keep the franchise going at a new online company called Onyx Path Publishing that does lots of kickstarters for stuff and has most of their catalogue (for all game editions; there were many releases with slightly changes rules) available via a legit-PDF site they have a partnership with.

I very rarely get to play sadly, but I like to read the canon and I really respect the system's mechanics; they just seem to flow really well and there's so much adaptability (kinda wish RPGs like it were bigger; I wonder if net chat and stuff like Roll20 will give table-top games a new lease of life?)! I've mostly played Vampire: The Masqurade and a bit of Mage: The Ascension (I only played revised edition of the Classic WoD, know only a little bit about the 'New World of Darkness' games beyond the fact the universe is totally different with new book names). Ascension is my big favourite of the whole franchise (though I confess I actually root for the antagonists of it rather than the mages; sod all these 'Reality Deviants', where's my plasma gun? :cool:).

*Awaits inevitable VtM player "Could you ghoul a Shivan?" question...*

(Pardon not being Computer game but since it's a game assumed here right?).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Re: Any fellow WhiteWolf / 'World of Darkness' fans here?
Yeah, its fine here, and yes, I'm interested in the World of Darkness myself.  Don't know how that's going to help, though. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I miss that ol' VtM game with Sparda, Backslash and hartzaden...
RiP game ;w;
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Yeah, I miss it too, been trying to talk Hartzaden into starting it back up since we're all around again.

(Although I'm not sure you can call it a VtM game when one of the characters is a lolita sorceress kinfolk with a railgun twice her size and the most supernaturally powerful ditz in the world for a mother. :drevil:)
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, it was 2/3rds VtM, 1/3rd mahou shoujo. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Well, 1/3 VtM, 1/3 mahou shoujo, 1/3 bishounen dating VN.  God knows my character needed all the blood he could get since he was a bit of an animal and took a lot of bullets to put down. :P