Author Topic: Telgorn Delta Class DX-9 Stomtrooper Transport  (Read 22177 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Telgorn Delta Class DX-9 Stomtrooper Transport
Indeed. While there are always critics (some more vocal than others), the overall feedback seems to be 90% positive.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

"Hey, cool redesign on this model kit. Wonder if FotG would use it if I built one" -> get permission to use -> build -> texture -> show wip -> brink of flame war.

For the life of me I can't get how do we get to that last step. Let's just not go all the way, shall we? In the mean time, I'll call the 90% positive feedback E mentioned a win and be happy with that as I upgrade the textures a bit :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's the mentality you need. You can't impress everyone.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Gank

im not whining im just giving my opinion, i dont like it, as chief himself pointed out its like a block of granite.  i dont even understand what your saying about scale, it is 20m and the stormtroopers not to scale? i dont really want to get into an argument about it, up to you what you make and up to the guys if they want to put it in, if you just want to hear people slaping you on the back fair enough good luck to you. no need to get all defensive and overreact

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Who's overreacting?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Gank

not sure, talk of flame wars but bit confused as to why too. thats what i meant by overreact

Offline newman

Now I don't get what you mean about scale. You said it was too big, did you not? You also said that it's supposed to be 20m long, correct? That implies you think this one is actually longer? If I misunderstood, I apologize. To be clear:

- the model on the renders is 20m long. Max doesn't lie and is a hell of a lot better at judging scale then the human eye.

- the stormtrooper in the pic is to scale, I made it 1.9m high. Maybe should have gone for 2.0 but that doesn't change the fact that the transport itself is still 20m long.

As for not liking the design itself, it's your prerogative. Even if I wanted to I can't get insulted over that since I haven't designed it. I personally love this design which is why I built one for FotG.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Please keep the habit of building SW designs you love. :)

Offline Gank

i know its not your design, thats why i had no probs critising it :)
The scalings not really important, maybe the perspective is throwing me off, maybe i'm just wrong :) As long as its good in game doesnt matter

if you are open to critism though i think the head at least could do with reshaping, the shapes just a bit too basic. The lasers for example look like theyre just a pair of barrels with no firing mechanism behind them. if you'e going for an an imperial look the textures could be lightened a bit as well. like i said though up to you what you make and the guys what they put in. It just looks off as is.

Offline newman

Like I said, textures aren't final and will be brightened up a bit. Mesh wise, I like the design as is. Check the links in the first post to see what it's based on. I like that and intend to keep it that way.
Scale wise, could be that perspective threw you off. That happens a lot and is even mentioned in the FotG FAQ :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Those barrels will be barely visible ingame, and they're perfectly high poly enough. Top work Newman, this will be great for mission design purposes, and it's a super high quality model to boot. :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline newman

Yay, 91% :D

Offline Gank

i wasnt refering to the amount of polys but the basic shape, they just look like pipes, most of the detailing on the model will be barely visible in game but they add to they overall look. anyways..

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
If they're barely visible in-game, then what's the point in adding them? That's something I can't apprehend. Maybe I should be a modeler to understand.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:59:56 am by TopAce »

Offline Gank

comprehend, and small details like that make the model look more realistic overall. barely visible is enough to add to the overall picture. except here they look off. i looked at the pics of the zarkus model before (before saw this 3d version) think its the interior there thats throwing me off on the scale now that i look at them again.

Offline rhettro

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and commend newman on his exceptional model and texture job. If I were to critique the model, and I'm really splitting hairs here, I would say that the complexity of the texture make the ship look bigger than two x-wings end to end.  I hardly think this will matter because I don't believe the detailing will translate to the game engine. All in all another great addition to the FoTG mod.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Newman, for the record, I love your model and cannot complain.

Given that this iteration of the ship doesn't really conflict with any listed material (there's never been enough detail/work done to the DX-9 prior to make a truly definative claim of what it looks like, apart from the general configuration), I don't see why there would be such contension. And, as the only SW sim I've ever played was X-Wing, I really like the grey as well. :)

Lastly, Gank - work on your constructive criticism skills. If something looks too small/big, ask how large it is first or ask for a comparison. DO NOT go out and blatently attack someone's work or give the appearance that you're attacking their work. On a second note, you might actually have some margin of valid opinion here - did you work on the DX-9 for the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think we've probably responded to Gank's original comments enough.  I myself didn't quite mean to come off like I did, but we do have a bizarre level of poor criticism delivered to many of our renders.

As for difference from the original TRN, the main diffs seem to be the paintings.  There always _could_ be a version with different texturing, but there's no reason there couldn't be a cleaner version of it too, and this is a great starting point for that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Amen, Chief.  Now we can let the healing begin.  *ahem*

Oh TRN, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways:

I love that you are good EU and not Kevin J Anderson
I love how you shake those missile pods when I give you a gander...son

I love the way your firepower is directed, all frontally
I love the rear as well--you've got some cans, to put it bluntally

I love your FRED utility (you "capture" my heart also)
I love that you are full of Stormies (don't stun me, bro!)

I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Bravo sir.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport