Author Topic: DHCP and port forwarding  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
Ok. I'm using a Creative 8133U router. I'm trying to free up some ports, but it's like fighting the worst router ever created... It just doesn't work. I've heard that DHCP can cause problems for NAT routers(?) so I thought I'd disable it and assign a static IP address.

My router is on 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.0.0.0
My PC has been on 192.168.1.9, subnet 255.255.255.0

That's how DHCP always assigned it... So I just set the static values to the same. And while I can still communicate with the router, I can no longer see my internet connection through the router. Everything looks ok, it just doesn't work... Is there something in my router settings I missed before disabling DHCP?
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
DHCP and port forwarding
DHCP should not be causing problems with NAT, since it rarely changes IPs for hardware on home-sized LANs.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
Well something isn't right, because port forwarding just isn't working. I try to host a game server and no one can see it, but I can see it on the LAN.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
DHCP and port forwarding
Silly question time - are you giving them your external IP?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

DHCP and port forwarding
DHCP also sometimes gives DNS info. Check with your windows networking settings to see what DNS is set.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
No DNS is set.

No silly questions please. ;)

DHCP and port forwarding
Well, not getting web acess might be due to a lack of DNS settings....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
Well, I did try to enter manual DNS info obtained from the ISP, but that didn't work either. Wheres that trusty hardware hammer of mine.

DHCP and port forwarding
Ehm, if you do ping bbc.co.uk, what does it show?

(If you haven't got a clue what I'm on about, do the following:
start, run, command.com
enter
ping bbc.co.uk > c:\HLPOWNZ.txt
Open the file c:\HLPOWNZ.txt, and copy the contents onto the forum.)

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
Ok, I got it working. I set the DNS to my Router IP, and walla. I was thinking of the DNS assigned by the ISP.

Still no luck with port forwarding mind you. Useless bloody thing... Even enabling DMZ and no one can see my server still. I mean, DMZ opens all ports, and yet nothing... WTF is going on.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: DHCP and port forwarding
Originally posted by Hunt Smacker
Ok. I'm using a Creative 8133U router. I'm trying to free up some ports, but it's like fighting the worst router ever created... It just doesn't work. I've heard that DHCP can cause problems for NAT routers(?) so I thought I'd disable it and assign a static IP address.

My router is on 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.0.0.0
My PC has been on 192.168.1.9, subnet 255.255.255.0

That's how DHCP always assigned it... So I just set the static values to the same. And while I can still communicate with the router, I can no longer see my internet connection through the router. Everything looks ok, it just doesn't work... Is there something in my router settings I missed before disabling DHCP?

This probably isn't what's causing your problem but why are you supernetting your router? Unless you've got 16 million computers on your LAN I really can't see the need for not just having a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 :)

Oh and congratulations on finding a router PortForward.com had never heard of. I was going to link you to their site but it probably won't be much help.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
I already posted there. Still waiting ;)

I'm notorious for hardware issues no one has ever heard of.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
DHCP and port forwarding
Maybe you're just describing things wrong? :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

DHCP and port forwarding
Hmm.
Is the Creative Router and ADSL modem? If so, and is acting like a router with a DHCP active, are you absolutely sure that the router is using netmask 255.0.0.0?
By default the network 192.168.1.0 has a netmask of 255.255.255.0
So, either the dhcp is giving addresses with the wrong netmask?

In any case, you should try the connectivity to your router first, rather than check for internet connectivity.
If you can ping your router, you should have internet connectivity. If it's connected, of course.

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
I already fixed the problem.

But port forwarding doesn't work, nor does enabling of DMZ. I guess its just a flawed router, because with any normal router, enabling DMZ means = all ports open on specified IP, and port forwarding means "those ports are open" on the specified IP...

My guess is, something else is preventing my server from appearing (let's just use Unreal Tournament as an example). But, I've tried fiddling with everything in the router to no avail, the server does not appear on the Internet. Only on the LAN, and no one can ping it from the Internet, either.

DHCP and port forwarding
Hmm. Indeed, either port forwarding is not working or your ISP is blocking the ports?

Get a Linksys :P

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
DHCP and port forwarding
Send me a free one? :P

No, the ISP is not, because my USB Modem works fine with servers (but its trash, so I'm not using it...)

DHCP and port forwarding
Build a linux box? :P