Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102168 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
It's pretty much exactly what capship combat looked like in retail FS2. When a Ravana jumps in it fires all of its beams at once if they're in range. And it's especially what capship combat looks like in Bp2 due to not inserting a random refire delay.

When a Ravana jumps in it fires two beams, not a dozen tiny AAAs.
When a Ravana jumps in, it fires four beams from two firing points with the usage of beam-fire sexp because **** logic. Those Corvettes are scripted to die.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Current fix of RAND_MAX may cause more problems with SRed spam. Currently they always fire to rear part of the Colossus because of previous limit. I guess most of players stay next to the Colossus in High Noon after disrming Sath's beam cannons. It may be hard to avoid beam fire, when all the SReds fires all across the Colossus hull.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Okay, I know nothing about this project other than what I've read in this thread, but if something like this hasn't been already done:

Would it hurt to give us access to Best Ship (i.e. the Pegasus) in more than one mission? Like, for example, in the last arc, when you're supposed to be this big fancy squadron leader who has his pick of craft? Never understood why they did that. And if you're only going to pick one mission, why "Endgame"? It's not like that's a particularly stealth-oriented operation.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Endgame already had the Pegasus available.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Endgame already had the Pegasus available.
Yeah, thats kind of what he was saying.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Well, it would make sense if you could choose pretty much anything the Aquataine has on board.
Speaking of loadouts I noticed the Bakha is availible in the zod arc as a strike bomber but most of those missions don't also include the cyclops so it's basically just a herc 2.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Current fix of RAND_MAX may cause more problems with SRed spam. Currently they always fire to rear part of the Colossus because of previous limit. I guess most of players stay next to the Colossus in High Noon after disrming Sath's beam cannons. It may be hard to avoid beam fire, when all the SReds fires all across the Colossus hull.

Avoid the beam and you won't get hit, pilot.

(In this case, that's actually useful advice.  Try hiding behind the Colossus, or above or below it.  No need to position yourself directly between the Sath and its target.)

Offline qwadtep

But that's exactly what warships do with their AAA beams if they ever get in range of a warship with no other targets to shoot at. All AAA beams can be fired directly and are actually quite good if scripted to target subsystems.
If they get in range. We aren't talking about a close broadside duel, but an artillery battle where the Colossus is devoting all available power to overload its main beams. Having it go ham with every other beam as well just because the player shot a TAG is silly.

Best Ship (i.e. the Pegasus)
That's a funny way to spell Ares.

Speaking of the Pegasus, I recommend we use live ammunition in Proving Grounds, and guardian Delta when they hit 30% or something.

If they get in range. We aren't talking about a close broadside duel, but an artillery battle where the Colossus is devoting all available power to overload its main beams. Having it go ham with every other beam as well just because the player shot a TAG is silly.
It happens when the Sath is TAGged by anyone and the beams are off cooldown. The Colossus isn't even firing 3 of its main beams once it starts overloading anyway. There's no reason to think the problem lies with the whole reactor grid rather than the heatsinks and sub-reactors powering those beams.
Doing extra damage when it can just makes sense.

That's a funny way to spell Ares.

That's a funny way to spell Perseus.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline pSimon

Speaking of the Pegasus, I recommend we use live ammunition in Proving Grounds, and guardian Delta when they hit 30% or something.

I'd concur with that.   Delta wing feel a bit too invulnerable now, as you can't knock them about with the Morningstar any more.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Make Delta tough (set phasers to test) and disable them at some threshold to make the objective accomplishable in Insane.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's a good idea.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
So is the TAG-A supposed to have a mass so huge it knocks Seraphims around like toys, or did that get fixed and I missed it because I was too far along in the game?

I very much enjoyed FS:Blue after playing it from start to finish. It's definitely a massive improvement over the original, but on Easy the improved AI almost makes it feel like Very Easy. That or I'm a lot better due to War in Heaven conditioning.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

The AI uses the FS2_retail profile. Some turrets will fire A LOT faster due to the 'same turret cooldown' flag though so friendly warship will be a lot better at killing things.

Offline eicca

How would I go about installing FS2 Blue without Blue Planet, for the sake of drive space? Do I need the BP core thing, or is there a way to use the FS2B vp file in, say, the Media_VPs 2014 mod?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You need BP. I don't know exactly what you could strip out to save space. Presumably the BP audio VPs, at least...ah, but then you might get errors when it loaded the BP weapons tables...

Offline eicca

You need BP. I don't know exactly what you could strip out to save space. Presumably the BP audio VPs, at least...ah, but then you might get errors when it loaded the BP weapons tables...

I imagine stuff like that would be in the BP core VP... Heck, I'll start experimenting and see what happens. I can't imagine needing the 4GB of BP visuals and audio to play a modified retail campaign.

I imagine the problem is that the engine has to look through BP's ship table to see the changes made to retail, which means it'll also see all of BP's original ships, which means it'll look for their models, which means it'll panic and die without the visuals files.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Correct, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Offline eicca

Well can't even play the full mod. It gives me some wonky error when I click "Play"