Author Topic: Unstretched Interface discussion  (Read 13032 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: Unstretched Interface discussion
I updated the patch so that it applies cleanly to the current trunk. The build has also been updated. Help overlays are still limited to two resolutions; I'm working on fixing this now, although I'm having some difficulty with getting the correct lines to be drawn. If I can't sort this out, then I'll just post what I've got and let you guys find out what's wrong.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Yarn

I have updated the patch and build again. Help.tbl has now been upgraded to support more than two resolutions; see this post for details. The example mod has also been modified to utilize this feature. (Creating an overlay without a graphical editor is a real PITA, so the mod's overlays don't have a label for every button.)

If no bugs are found, then this patch is ready for review.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I know it's not a brilliant solution, but I found the "help_reload" function in the debug console made it a lot easier to modify the help overlays.  i.e. instead of

1) start FSO, choose pilot, press F1, exit FSO, modify table, restart

you can do:

2) press F1, modify table, start debug console, type "help_reload" (or up-arrow), press F1

Anyway, if Mjn can test the feature, I can review the code.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

I made a slight tweak to the patch: Instead of +Help Overlay Resolution Index defaulting to 0 for the first main-hall resolution and 1 for the others, it's now the same as the main hall's own resolution index (0 for the first, 1 for the second, 2 for the third, etc.). (If the overlay is not available in the requested resolution, then no overlay will appear.)

Now I think the patch is really ready for review.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm not all too familiar with the help stuff.. but I did some basic tests and everything seems to work quite nicely! I've no complaints.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'm also liking the change very much and haven't noticed anything broken, though I still need remember to access the options screen while in mission. Cause I keep forgetting.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I have a slight problem with the current patch:

Other than that, it all looks good to me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

I updated the patch and builds again to fix the problem that AdmiralRalwood described above.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline m!m

The patch looks good to me. I guess this can be put into trunk.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've finally reviewed the patch (sorry about the tardiness :nervous:).

Overall it looks good, both test mods seem to run fine on Linux when testing with 4:3, 16:9 & 5:4 resolutions (all tested in a window).

On the code, I've got a few comments (uh oh).

1)
Code: (code/gamehelp/contexthelp.cpp) [Select]
+ //mprintf(("Found text %d on overlay %d - location (%d,%d) @ 640x480 :: location (%d,%d) @ 1024x768\n", currcount, overlay_id, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].textlist[GR_640][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].textlist[GR_640][currcount].y_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].textlist[GR_1024][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].textlist[GR_1024][currcount].x_coord));
+ //mprintf(("Found rbracket %d on overlay %d - location (%d,%d) @ 640x480 :: location (%d,%d) @ 1024x768\n", currcount, overlay_id, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].rbracketlist[GR_640][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].rbracketlist[GR_640][currcount].y_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].rbracketlist[GR_1024][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].rbracketlist[GR_1024][currcount].y_coord));
+ //mprintf(("Found lbracket %d on overlay %d - location (%d,%d) @ 640x480 :: location (%d,%d) @ 1024x768\n", currcount, overlay_id, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].lbracketlist[GR_640][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].lbracketlist[GR_640][currcount].y_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].lbracketlist[GR_1024][currcount].x_coord, help_overlaylist[overlay_id].lbracketlist[GR_1024][currcount].y_coord));

Maybe remove the commented out mprintf's, or convert them to nprintf's? (maybe Parse or a new category called Help?)
(I know these are existing comments, but a cleanup would be good).

2)
In the following places the code should probably be removed rather than commented out.
code/menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp (line 354->363, and 1762->1779, approx 1970)

3)
When setting a custom font for a mainhall, should the font be saved first (with gr_get_current_fontnum()) and restored to the previous value instead of always setting it back to FONT1?
i.e. this is used several times
gr_set_font(Main_hall->font);
(code)
gr_set_font(FONT1);
(Or it is known that the font is always FONT1 prior to this point?)

4)
These statements don't compile using GCC:
(code/gamehelp/contexthelp.cpp)
Code: [Select]
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_pline>> plinelist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_text>> textlist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_left_bracket>> lbracketlist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_right_bracket>> rbracketlist;

Just add a space between the >> and it's fine; i.e.
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_pline> > plinelist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_text> > textlist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_left_bracket> > lbracketlist;
+ SCP_vector<SCP_vector<help_right_bracket> > rbracketlist;

Otherwise it looks good :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

On the code, I've got a few comments (uh oh).

Regarding your first comment, it's probably a good idea to delete those lines, considering that they assume that only two resolutions exist (which isn't necessarily true with this patch). I'll make this change and the other changes that you suggested in the next version of the patch, which should be ready within 24 hours. EDIT: It's updated now!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:05:07 pm by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks!  The new patch looks good, I'll commit it tonight (unless someone else gets there 1st)
----
----

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'd like (for the sake of OCD) to suggest that lines 208 & 226 see a slight change for the actual commit:

+ if (overlay_id >= 0 && overlay_id < num_help_overlays && resolution_index >= 0 && resolution_index < help_overlaylist[overlay_id].num_resolutions) {
+ if ( overlay_id >= 0 && (Help_overlay_flags & (1<<overlay_id)) && resolution_index >= 0 && resolution_index < help_overlaylist[overlay_id].num_resolutions ) {

into:
+ if ( (overlay_id >= 0) && (overlay_id < num_help_overlays) && (resolution_index >= 0) && (resolution_index < help_overlaylist[overlay_id].num_resolutions) ) {
+ if ( (overlay_id >= 0) && (Help_overlay_flags & (1<<overlay_id)) && (resolution_index >= 0) && (resolution_index < help_overlaylist[overlay_id].num_resolutions) ) {

This will help in readability at a minimum even if it affects nothing else.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Committed in r10844, including Zacam's suggestion, a minor line-breaks addition from me on the same lines and all trailing whitespace removed.  Thank you Yarn :)
----
----

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Unfortunately, the patch (r10844) seems to break cockpit displays. I suspect the changes to hud.cpp, but haven't confirmed if it's that or something else; I do see some traces of the HUD elements on the cockpit (in the wrong places), which is why I think it has something to do with stretching/scaling going wrong. I don't have a testcase to provide though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm guessing you didn't create a mantis ticket with a test case.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Is this changed? I play on some old Nightly of 3.7.1 to have my interface unstreched. Sorry guys for being lazy asshat, but four pages of text caused tl;dr syndrome :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is this changed? I play on some old Nightly of 3.7.1 to have my interface unstreched. Sorry guys for being lazy asshat, but four pages of text caused tl;dr syndrome :P
This patch has been in trunk since r10844. I'm not sure what you mean by "some old Nightly of 3.7.1 to have my interface unstretched", unless... are you saying you've been using an old version of FSO to avoid pillarboxing? That is what the -stretch_menu command-line option is for (and would be the opposite of "unstretched").
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
To be precise I'm using 10451 to avoid black bars on either side of the game window in newer builds. I was thinking that something is wrong with my PC and I'm looking for some solution. Custom flag worked, thanks for the help.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.