Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106280 times)

Offline PHRiSCo

Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED July 28, 2013
ahhh, it works if you click on the window, but I'll fix that right now.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Don't know if you don't want suggestions/error-checking on the mesh at this stage, so sorry if that's the case! Looking at the p3d mesh, I noticed a couple minor discrepancies from the filming model in the outline of the engine section as viewed from the aft. The physical model's engine block appears to be more squat, with the slope of the outer edge coming down an angle that is slightly greater than 45 degrees. From the photo, I roughly calculated that the width of the block is about 1.6 times the height from the bottom engine to the top plane. The upper corners also seem to be a bit less steep.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong time or if this sort of nitpicking bothers you. Sometimes we go a bit nuts when it comes to film accuracy :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since he has been scrutinizing the refs himself, I imagine he either missed this and appreciates it, or it's a perspective issue :p
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

It's a bit of an all of the above issue. When I started this project, the reference was much more limited then what's available now. If you go and look at all the reference now, you must notice there are several discrepancies, and I'm sorta piecing together my interpretation of the whole. In this case, I do believe it's possible this is a perspective issue, but I agree it does look a tad off from this angle.

I'm being pretty picky myself to some degree, and before I unwrap this beast I'll definitely have another couple off looks through all the reference to be happy with it. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to match every angle to every piece of movie reference. Another thing you might notice is the actual Frigate reference isn't symmetrical, however for ease of modelling, I'll most likely keep the model mirrored.

Looking over all the reference and comparing what's out there, my opinion is that this Frigate as a whole is fairly accurate overall. I wish I had the screen-used Frigate in front of me or environment controlled orthographic photos of every angle but unfortunately I don't. From the other 3D modeled Frigates I've seen from around the net, I'm pretty happy with my rendition so far. Again I love the feedback, but at this point a major change like this for a couple degrees of angle from this photo perspective is probably something I won't pursue unless their is a stronger argument form several other angles and we agree this would be worth the time to change. Eg. the following angle here looks closer to mine than the photo you provided above; http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110712045740/starwars/images/0/03/SalvationKamino.jpg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:30:34 am by PHRiSCo »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Since he has been scrutinizing the refs himself, I imagine he either missed this and appreciates it, or it's a perspective issue :p
Yeah I didn't get the perspective exactly right in that comparison shot, but moving the camera up and down or in and out on the p3d doesn't substantially alter how the angles of the slopes there are perceived. As an aside, the zoom hugely alters how the front and back sections look relative to each other, and there's lots of potential for neat perspective stuff there, as demonstrated in the final shot of ESB.

I think PHRiSCo is taking absolutely the right approach to this ship. It's a really unusual and complicated object, and I imagine the project could easily go down the rabbit hole trying to replicate every detail and never see the light of day, which is the last thing anyone wants. At the same time, it's clear that PHRiSCo is mighty good at this modeling business and this has the potential to be one of if not the nicest version of the ship ever committed to code, so it's hard not to get all gung-ho about perfecting it, hehe.

Anyway, I want to offer support in whatever way is best for the person doing the actual work, so I apologize if the above wasn't a helpful post.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I see both versions as being perfectly valid, as far as what I can tell from both of those reference shots.  I suppose the trouble is figuring out which one has the perspective issue that's throwing things off.  I'm leaning towards thinking it's the perspective in the film shot, but honestly I agree that at this point the model already looks so amazing compared to what else is out there that I'd be happy either way.  If worse comes to worse, call it a slight difference between ships of the same class, which happens often enough in most modern navies, for example.

Keep it up!  So excited about this ship!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Just bumping this thread since we heard from PHRiSCo, who still wants to finish this.  Looking forward to seeing this textured!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Hoping some of these might help inspire the ship to completion:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wow, I had no idea the top of the bridge tower thing on the engine block was a big old turret. That's cool.

Offline PHRiSCo

http://imgur.com/a/Zt9Y4

Yes I'm still here. Yes I still want to finish the Frigate. Yes I know I'm like the biggest slacker in history.
I moved across the country and I just haven't had time. I still want to do it until the admin here pulls it from my cold dead hands!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

Yes I'm still here. Yes I still want to finish the Frigate. Yes I know I'm like the biggest slacker in history.
I moved across the country and I just haven't had time. I still want to do it until the admin here pulls it from my cold dead hands!

Yep, that's the compilation where I found these shots.  Glad you're still around - I hope you're able to find time to work on this.  Good luck.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Yes I'm still here. Yes I still want to finish the Frigate.
That's all I need to hear! :D I look forward to seeing this finished.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Very nice photos on the link , many thanks   :yes:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

PHRiSCo, how close is the model itself to completion?  We've had a texture artist offer to work on the texture - I know you've been wanting to finish this yourself but maybe between the two of you we can get this completed.  If the model itself is complete, would you mind sharing?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Last call for PHRiSCo!  Help us complete this model, you're our only hope!

Offline PHRiSCo

Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015
UPDATED June 05, 2015

Ok! I'm back on this sucker. I've working on it in my office spare time and determined to finish! Progress this week is below in p3d!

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yay! It's pretty! A few little glitches in the tall vertical jagged plates and at the ends of the tallest pod (near the bottom), but those are probably just from the p3d conversion.

Offline PHRiSCo

Yeah it's just the p3d.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yessss it lives!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
She looks great.  One of my favorite capital ships in Star Wars, a ship that wears her odd homeliness so well it becomes beauty.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”