Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - October 2014  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Newsletter - October 2014

Well, summer has either ended or is just starting for us all. We now find ourselves in the Transcending month where creepy stellar eldritch abominations come to destroy us from the inside out. Or really like any other month in the FreeSpace universe.

Before we get into the newsletter, do you like FreeSpace? If so (and I have a feeling you might), you might want to check out this FreeSpace 2 Retrospective Podcast the guys at SpaceGameJunkie did with our very own Goober5000!

Now onto the news!

Can you smell that? It’s the smell of delicious progress coming from mjn.mixael's kitchen. I mean look at this trailer video for Between the Ashes he posted.
Could something be arriving soon? He was also looking for voice actors… What could it mean?!

Rheyah's continuing to expose the Shetland/Ephesus campaign with some more status updates and chilling words.
We had lost eight hundred when one of the starboard magazines went up as we fled for the node.  A third of the crew was injured or incapacitated.  With most of the standing forces either destroyed or defecting, all we had was a handful of cruisers, a few fighter wings, the Ephesus herself and the GTCv Manchester.  All of them were carrying wounds.

I don't know much about what the politicians did during that time.  I mean, they must have known, surely!  You don't just annex three systems and forty percent of the Terran standing fleet without some kind of warning.  There must have been something they saw that could have tipped them off as to the bottle of antimatter brewing in the outer colonies, but then we didn't see it either.  We were right next door and we only found out through our brass.

BTA is revamping his fleets for Dusk Wars so they're a little less stock FS2 and a little more community built ships. It's win-win for all of us!

by niffiwan

Welcome to October! Month of National Day in the PRC, Gandhi Jayanthi in India and Oktoberfest ... oh, coding related news you say Axem?  In that case, 3.7.2 is still creeping closer to release. I can see 17 mantis issues still targeting 3.7.2 final. Lets get them triaged and resolved!

New Features List!

• Add scripting function to play cutscenes - Parias (part of Parias's project for improved co-op multi)
  • Allow beams to use Damage Factors - niffiwan (requested by WoD, it allows more flexibility in designing new beam weapons e.g. convert the Akheton to a beam!)
  • Make the $CD: token for cutscenes.tbl optional - MageKing17 (Useful since a majority of assets no longer require physical CD's)
  • Allow AI ships to attack/disarm/disable others on the same team - Goober500 (requested by BtA)

Here's the current bugs scoreboard. The bugs on mantis have gone down, and Coverity stayed the same.
                            |fixed |new |delta |outstanding 
----------------------------|----------   |---------- |----------   |--------------------
Coverity (this month)      |1            |1          |0            |395                 
----------------------------|----------   |---------- |----------   |--------------------
Mantis (last 30 days)      |15           |11         |4            |157                 
(Mantis includes 29 feature requests (not including HPC), so outstanding bugs is really 128)

Moving onto other coding and scripting news of interest, Yarn has created a patch to be able to scale HUD head ani's. This will fix an issue with WoD + Stranded where the WoD main campaign head ani's would not fill the larger HUD gauge used in Stranded. Another use would be to let modders create larger headz for large resolutions (1080p+). Anyway, it just needs a review and it can be commited to the codebase.

Karajorma has coded up something cool (& very meta), SEXP collections. Or in other words, lists and (in future) maps which can be used in SEXPs, similar to how these data structures are used in other programming languages. This is very cool for the advanced FREDders out there, I'm keen to see what can cooked up using this feature. Only drawback at the moment is that there's no FRED support, so you'll need to dust of your text editor to test it out.

Swifty has continued to work soft shadows & deferred rendering and has released a couple of new builds. A bunch of bugs have been fixed, and the performance improvements have been confirmed. It looks like it's getting fairly close to being ready, so head on over to give a test and report any outstanding issues you find.

ngld, Hellzed and m!m have been making steady progress on their new installer/launcher.  It's even got a new name, Nebula. Screenshots are always good, see these posts, and I'll link one here as well:

I'm keen to give this a go when it's ready for beta testing :)

X3N0-Life-Form has been working on a new LUA script to manage ship variants. The idea is to let LUA handle creating subtle ships variants rather than creating separate variant in the tables. Sounds very cool, so head over a give it some testing.

Newcomer Gee1337 can't model, texture or FRED (*yet*), but he still got a certainly rare talent around these parts. Sound making! Check out his cool sound thread for some wicked beam sounds for your new weapons of mass destruction. It's hard to get a picture of sound so… here's a spectrogram of one!

UndyingNephalim is still going strong with their Star Fox Event Horizon mod! There's a bunch of new preview videos for you to drool at. Have you tried the demo yet? If not, you should!

Starbug made quick work of this new large battlecruiser, the Tython. Modelled, mapped and partially textured in under a month! It also follows the general design style of Steve-O's Vexor, so if you've got other Steve-O ships in your mod, be sure to keep an eye on this one!

I think I missed this one from last month! Col. Hornet has started work on a new cruiser, the GTC Naxos. If you were a fan of Aesaar's Erebus design, you will surely be a fan of this cruiser. It's like a little brother to that big destroyer. I'm sure it'll still have a large bite though!

Rhettro is going strong with his gunboat, all those fine details are done and he's into the most enjoyable phase of modelling! UVMapping! (Ok, I lied.) Let's hope to see it fully textured and operational next month!

DahBlount is cutting through the space ether with a redesign of the Kaze from Wings of Dawn. I don't think you even need weapons on that thing, just fly into your enemies and you'll just cut them in half without any trouble.

And finally Scooby's got us a live one here that is sure to leave its enemies grounded. The Thunderbolt!. In true new-generation Scooby style, it's got landing gear and a lot of other fine details. A perfect addition to his fleet!

Also Bearcat.

This month starts a multi-part tutorial adventure concerning Lua and FreeSpace Open. This won't teach you how to Lua, its more about how to use Lua with FreeSpace. Part 1 doesn't require any real Lua knowledge at all, it's all about making a SEXP library that will let you run a whole pile of SEXPs with a single Lua command.

by mjn.mixael

Last month's theme was Relief.

This was a unique screen drawing on an old cliche... using a dark foreground in contrast with sunlight to give a sense of 'things are better now'. I subtracted MjnPoints for using the cliche, but gave extra points for getting out of the 'show space ships from afar' box.

Screencap Scoreboard:
Ckid - 2
Mpez - 3
AndrewofDoom - 1
tnathan475 - 1
The Hound - 1
Betrayal - 1

Runner up was Ckid because these are also very, very pretty!

As a reminder, we're going to do things slightly differently this year. Our many campaigns are filled with emotional ups, downs, and/or lackthereof. So we'll highlight that with a whole year's worth of emotional themes. I don't care what's in the image as long as it portrays the particular feeling for the month.

The new theme for October is Fear.

Watch those HUD gauges (especially that sneaky FPS gauge) and check out the Screencam Script to help you win a badge and bragging rights. You can see the rules and the previous winners here on the Wiki.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:21:35 pm by Axem »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Parias

Re: HLP Newsletter - October 2014
Agreed, great compilation as always - thanks for the effort!

BTW, that was my slightly retextured Bearcat you posted, I think this is the one you were looking for: http://i.imgur.com/9A7juA9.jpg    :)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Axem

You make too many ships! :p

(Sorry about the mixup!)

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Thanks for the very kind comments Axem  :yes:

Good repository of news this month (like most months) as well!

Yep, I'm definitely a newcomer, but I have been watching these boards for many years on and off! I don't think FREDding is something that I will ever be able to do as I am just not clever enough for it! I might give modelling a go one day!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Mobile shipyard... Won? Freakin yeah! Good one as always :yes: .
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
newsletter day = good day
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
  • Make the $CD: token for cutscenes.tbl optional - MageKing17 (Useful since a majority of assets no longer require physical CD's)
It's gotta be a slow month when a 4-line feature request tossed off in a few minutes makes a "new features" list that short. :P
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well yes, it was a bit slow for features this month (RC phase and all)  ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@niffiwan: A little clarification: The launcher is now called Knossos. The website which will list available mods is called Nebula.
m!m contributed to the JSON schema we use to replace Goober's installer text files but he's working on his own launcher.

Thanks for the mention. Hopefully we can start beta testing soon.  :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks for clarifying that, I've been trying to keep up with what's going on in the thread but it seems a few points sailed over my head  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...