Author Topic: Playing FS1 - Where do I start?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Playing FS1 - Where do I start?
Hey guys -
Got the whole day with no work to do, and thought I'd play through the FS1 campaign.  I remember the last time I played it a few years ago, the graphics quality was horrible. 
I know there's been a lot of work that's gone into restoring it, so where should I start?  What do I download?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Playing FS1 - Where do I start?
You install FS2, then you use the installer to install the FSPort, the FSPort mediavps, and the normal mediavps, then you select "FSPOrt Mediavps" as the mod in the Launcher.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
FS2 - where do I get it from?  I'm assuming you don't mean the retail FS2 right? 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes, FreeSpace Open requires retail FreeSpace 2 as a base. You can get it from GoodOldGames.com.

Then use fsoinstaller.com to get the FreeSpace Port and the FreeSpace Port MediaVPs (the graphical upgrades).

e: The 'Installing FreeSpace Open' link up at the top of your screen may also help.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:12:22 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Lorric

Won't he already have Freespace 2? He's been on HLP since 2002 and has 2000+ posts.

FS2 - where do I get it from?  I'm assuming you don't mean the retail FS2 right? 

Retail FS2 works just fine as a base for installing FS Open, although I hear installing it on modern Windows can be a challenge.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Yes I have about 15 FS2 boxes in the garage - most of them unopened.  Figured they might be worth something someday.

OK got FS2 installed, and followed the instructions here to download the media VPs
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70736.0

I'd prefer to use the 'installer', but under option 1 "use the installer" I don't see a link to it :/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As I said above, fsoinstaller.com.

e: While it won't hurt to have those MediaVPs, they're out of date. The 2014 MediaVPs installed through the Installer are the most recent. You will need the 3.6.12s as well to play a number of campaigns.

OK I know this is probably the wrong place but... which campaigns? I've run a good few with the 2014 MVPs without so much as a warning.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You probably had to edit mod.inis to do that, right? That's one more clunky step to explain.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
That worked great; cheers guys!