Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167768 times)

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
 :yes: :yes: :yes:

now we need the TURRETS!

one suggestion:
flak: take the ones from the aeolus
beams: doesnt mind
lasers: the ones from the hecate

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Throw in some turrets and normal maps and win will be fully achieved.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
beams: doesnt mind

Hell no, take the beams of the Hecate! ;7
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

but bigger  :nod:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That was obvious :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

you could fit pair of heavy bombers in the larger turrets of that thing... Is it just me, or does the Collie have nothing except a bunch of huge green beamz?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It is just you :P.
Anyway nice model and good work getting it in-game.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:00:51 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
you could fit pair of heavy bombers in the larger turrets of that thing... Is it just me, or does the Collie have nothing except a bunch of huge green beamz?

And decent AAA and flak coverage.
I would definitely not want to be tasked with disarming a colly.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have to admit, the ingame shot looks slightly less epic to me, although it might just be the lighting setup.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Its probably just the lighting.  And the lack of nebulae and starfield.pof.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
yea, it deserves a better glory shot :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
yea, it deserves a better glory shot :P
Who said it was supposed to be a glory shot? :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
How many polies on the original render model?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline blowfish

Its a little on the polygon heavy side (~30k polys, and tile textured) though.

Do try to read things :rolleyes:

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
For normal maps, glow-maps and everything, just browse around the forums a bit. There's a program that can get you to easily make normal maps, I think.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
For normal maps, glow-maps and everything, just browse around the forums a bit. There's a program that can get you to easily make normal maps, I think.

It's called GIMP and normal map plugin. There's also normal map plugin for Photoshop. I would advice against using programs that easily make normal maps (like Crazybump) because they tend to sacrifice control for convenience and ease of use and in the end they make themselves worthless for tasks that require actually having control over the normal map making process...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Hey mate,

Here's a workflow video, so you can examine the level of control yourself:  http://crazybump.com/video/

You may be under a false impression.  I don't think it's possible to achieve results similar to CrazyBump's using either GIMP or Photoshop.  I guess may be wrong.  Here, I'll post an example similar to the one in the video:

Source Photograph

Output Normals
           Output Heightmap
           Output Occlusion
           Output Diffuse
           Output Specularity

Ignore the other maps for now; could you create similar normals and heightmap from that source, using PS or Gimp?
If so, how long would it take you?  (The whole set took around 3 minutes in CrazyBump)

Gimp has a nice advantage in that it's free... and it may be fine for your needs, depending what you're trying to accomplish.  But seriously, it's not equivalent ;)

cheers,

-Ryan

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I have no doubt it would work great - if we had the original source photographs in a format that CrazyBump can look at and actually understand which parts need to be up and which parts need to be down.

Unfortunately, the absolute majority of the textures used by FS2_Open does not work this way. It's almost impossible to just take a random texture, put it into CrazyBump and assume that the output is an acceptable normal map compared to what custom hand-made normal maps (derived from custom elevation map of course - this is the part that actually takes the time, getting the elevations mapped properly!) can deliver, no matter how much controls CB offers...

It's obvious that making a custom elevation map based on the texture instead of just using the texture as the source for normal map takes a lot more time than just using CB, but the results are absolutely worth it. I have tried CB with various settings, using original ship textures as sources for normal maps, and in no occasion were the results better than with hand-crafted elevation map.

Since the focus of this community pretty much values quality over quantity (which in working process translates almost directly to quality over speeding the process), handcrafted normal maps would be my preference.

And while it's established that a custom elevation map needs to be used, there should be no reason why CrazyBump would then deliver better results than any other normal map plugin... In fact I've tried that too, and I think CB's normal intensity controls are limited to too low levels; FS2_Open (or rather the current shader system) needs pretty hard contrasted normals for them to be noticeable in-game, and the intensity provided with CB has - at least for when I tried it last - been a tad bit on the low side, requiring me to increase contrast manually (in GIMP, where else) whereas with GIMP's normal map plugin I can set the scale to somewhere like 30 or 40 and the normal map will directly be on the levels that are noticeable, usable and look good in FS2_Open in-game (I just need to convert it to DDS normal map format, red to alpha and green to red, green and blue channels, and it'll usually look fine...)

For generating normal maps from photos/textures directly, CB definitely works better than any plugin, because it does offer some control over the intensity of differently sized details and so on. But, in a hand crafted normal map these can be put into the source elevation map already, with basic understanding on slopes, gradients and sharp transitions from "low" to "high" (or dark to bright).

So what I'm saying is that the problem is not with CB - it's a fine tool for what it's designed to do -  it's that we have no source maps that can be used directly as normal map sources. Largely because occlusion is usually baked into the textures at this point, which causes all kinds of brightness changes on the texture, which are interpreted as elevation changes (though with the size/intensity controls this problem can be minimized, it still remains) but also because all the decals and non-elevation-related details on the texture are also used if a texture is put directly to CB.

Good example would be the Hercules Mark 2 texture which has a bright white number two on it's side. Or yellow-black warning stripes, or or even scorchmarks that are darker than the surrounding hull (but aren't actually meant to be dents).

That said, CB does produce surprisingly good normals for some of the textures. I have used some of the more passable ones as placeholders while I'm waiting for someone to do the deed with handcrafted normal maps, and like I said, thus far all of the handcrafted ones are cleaner and more accurate.

Also, when I referred to sacrificing "control over convenience" I basically meant it in FS2_Open context for the reasons explained above... Hand-crafting the elevation map does offer unparalleled level of control - though for starters the nature of transitions from low to high, and it's effect on the final normal map can be a bit difficult to understand.

But hey, thanks for taking an interest in this community - and welcome to Hard Light Productions! :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:08:50 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
:bump:

Still alive? Any progress?

Offline blowfish

Any chance of getting that Arcadia? :nod: