Author Topic: Last updated VP??  (Read 21682 times)

Until then, we'd be glad to help you learn the basic modding skills required to customize your install with the individually released HTL models.
I'd like to learn how to do this. Where can I get more information?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's pretty simple, really. You should have your freespace2\mediavps_3612 folder. Inside may or may not exist a 'data' folder.. so it'd be 'freespace2\mediavps_3612\data'.

From here on out, the first thing you should know is that the released models may or may not break mods.. so you are on your own support-wise for that. (you could add these individual models to a new mod folder, but that gets a bit more complicated.)

Inside the 'data' folder, if they don't exist, create the folders named 'models', 'maps', 'tables', and 'cache'. The individual downloads come with a few file types and sometimes the files are already in folders named as you just created. POF files go in 'models', DDS or other image files go in 'maps' and any TBL or TBM files go in 'tables'. Sometimes they include BX files... those go in 'cache'.

That should pretty much do it if the modeller released everything correctly. Sometimes there are issues, so just post in the respective threads and we'll help you out.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

The models I downloaded appear to be working properly. Thanks!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
(bobboau)

Sitting quietly hasn't worked either. I remember being somewhat miffed two years ago that there had not been a release, I put off reinstalling FS because there hadn't been one. In the time since the last VP was released I have received a bachelors degree, got a salary position that doubled my paycheck at the place I had been working, quit said salaried position in a fiery moment of shouting, found another job that doubled my pay yet again, moved half way across the continent, gone to Aruba, and Turks and Caicos, helped host a tech conference, twice, presenting once, developed and taught TWO classes on mobile development, picked up hiking and photography as a hobby, and got half way through a masters degree. I would likely be a home owner before the next VP is released, if work started tonight on packaging up everything that has been completed. Honestly you are somewhat past the threshold of getting backhanded comments.

I'm not saying progress is not being made, nor am I saying that nobody is doing a good job or that anyone is lazy, I'm just saying it's time for another release. You cannot wait for everything to be done, because it pretty much by the simple nature of this project will never be done. just get someone looking at what is ready to go, and pack it up, don't wait for anything, if something is missing the slightest thing exclude it, there are plenty of things that are done done done that could constitute a major release at this point. This project used to produce a new version about once every year, then suddenly it stopped. What caused that change? Maybe you should switch over to the chrome release model like everyone else in the world (whether the should or not) has.

Do not take this as an insult or an attack, take it as an observation from your user base. Try to be at least as receptive as Microsoft. I might be a little sarcastic but am trying to be constructive here.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would love to release. We aren't waiting for everything.

However, I work hard on this stuff. Way too hard to sit and take a few backhanded comments about how you haven't been catered to correctly because you didn't get the release when you wanted it released.

We are working on the release. It will be released regardless of what else I want to finish. But your backhanded comments make me want to wait an extra few months just because. Lucky for you there are other team members who will work extra hard for you, dear sir.

EDIT: Let's put it this way. I could care a less how you justify being exceptionally rude. You can run logical circles around me to justify your rudeness. But I work for free. I don't work for people like you. You want something done, at least from me? You will have to be more polite because I simply won't care about what you want otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:28:34 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline Luis Dias

OTOH, nothing is stopping anyone to make a mediavps-like mod with all the latest ships and effects posted and shared if such people are so inclined. If such a mod is clearly not called "mediavps 14" or some other confusing name, but a clearly distinct name, then I am absolutely guesstimating that no one would be annoyed.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

However, I work hard on this stuff. Way too hard to sit and take a few backhanded comments about how our process got broken when we decided to decouple it from FSO releases.

cock waving.

am I wrong in pointing out that this project has experienced a problem and you have not noticed it?

I did a little bit of searching and I got my answer as to what changed, BTW.

I am more than willing to stop the back handed comments now if you are. sorry my first entry into this was not of abject adoration, but it seriously was an unplanned unthought-through gut reaction to realizing what the situation is.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bobboau, altering your quote in such a matter is devolving to the level of a personal attack.  And the moderating staff is making a concerted effort to clamp down on that now, so kindly knock it off.

You've been here long enough to know that the answer is always "when it's done".  The process runs entirely on its own schedule, it can't easily predicted, and the time horizon often changes dramatically over the course of development.  Asking for WIP screenshots or status reports is fine.  Debating what models should be included and how they should be upgraded is fine.  But continuing to pester the mod creators for a release, or a release date, after you've already been told that one isn't forthcoming is just being an anklebiter.

Take a look at the development history of ST:R, for example, which I summarized in timeline form in the campaign's readme file precisely for situations like this.  ST:R suffered from schedule delays, feature creep, and staff burnout, and until the final year of development we couldn't predict the release date with any measure of accuracy.  It was released much later than we thought it would, but it still got released.  And as long as people are still working on the mediaVPs, they will eventually be released too.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

However, I work hard on this stuff. Way too hard to sit and take a few backhanded comments about how our process got broken when we decided to decouple it from FSO releases.

unhelpful stuff

better? was anything redacted there actually helpful? honestly? he's basically just calling me a petulant impatient child, or in other words jerking off to revenge fantasies trying to make himself feel better while completely ignoring me and dismissing me. I was trying to simply drop it.

I'm honestly not directing any of this to the artists. this is a management issue. It feels as though changes that were implemented in the management of this project several years ago have had a detrimental effect on it, and I am concerned.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:12:46 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
He stated that he was working on it and that it would be released.  And he also said that he works for free, and therefore his motivation has a high degree of correlation with the rate of completion.  So yes, that seems helpful.

If you want to discuss the management, then perhaps you should start a new thread and this time make it clear what you're asking.  Because your posts came across as accusatory and impatient.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
For what it's worth, I understood what Bobboau was saying, I never saw his post being offensive in any way and I was honestly surprised at mjn.mixael's reaction. Maybe he could have worded his post a little better but come on, aren't you folks overreacting a bit?

FSU is always ongoing project and will never be finished. "When it's done" cannot apply to FSU, as it's never done. Expecting otherwise would be fool's errand and means we'd likely never see another release. Truth is that FSU has accumulated a lot of new assets since last release, worth several releases in fact. Bobboau and many others are wondering what's up, that's all.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
FSU has also released a lot of stuff, more than usual before releases. Turns out people could just get their fingers out of their collective asses and use them instead of *****ing about releases dates.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
FSU has also released a lot of stuff, more than usual before releases. Turns out people could just get their fingers out of their collective asses and use them instead of *****ing about releases dates.
There's also quite a lot of assets that we have that aren't released as well, too, so I'm not seeing your point. Not to mention I'm really of the opinion that we've waited too long, considering it's been three years since the last major release.

For what it's worth, I understood what Bobboau was saying, I never saw his post being offensive in any way and I was honestly surprised at mjn.mixael's reaction. Maybe he could have worded his post a little better but come on, aren't you folks overreacting a bit?

FSU is always ongoing project and will never be finished. "When it's done" cannot apply to FSU, as it's never done. Expecting otherwise would be fool's errand and means we'd likely never see another release. Truth is that FSU has accumulated a lot of new assets since last release, worth several releases in fact. Bobboau and many others are wondering what's up, that's all.
I agree with you.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hellzed

What about a public mediavps_beta svn, with the current state of assets ? (this question may be bit naive, I know there is a private mediavps svn already, but I don't know how much resources a svn instance takes on a server...)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What about a public mediavps_beta svn, with the current state of assets ? (this question may be bit naive, I know there is a private mediavps svn already, but I don't know how much resources a svn instance takes on a server...)

Unfortunately, the server hosting our svn does not have the bandwidth to actually serve that many people, and we can't put it on the HLP server for pretty much the same reason.

Regarding the major debate: I too would prefer releasing now rather than later. There's always going to be assets that are unfinished or in the works, no matter how long we wait.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I Actually made my own and update it with new ships.
That said, I am looking forward to a release (When it's done: With Oddgrim on a roll I wouldn't want to mess that up  ;) )

Also, I find venting in private and then posting things in a calm rational manner much more helpful, Just saying

There is no emotion, There is peace

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At least 2 FSU members in this thread have said they'd like to release... I assume they are helping get the release ready, then? :p

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Is there a place where one can check an up to date asset status for FSU?

I do agree that I'd rather see a new release sooner, rather than later. Just mash what you have ready together, and be done with it!
On the other hand, being a BWO developer myself, I do understand the desire to have everything in pristine condition before releasing :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are TWO stickied threads to show assets status.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
But are they exactly accurate\up to date?
I remember seeing them a year ago or so, but they weren't back then.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.