Author Topic: Zathras 2.5c for dev testing  (Read 11935 times)

Offline wesp5

Re: Zathras 2.5b for dev testing
Remaining on the todo list are the following:

What about the effect enhancements? If you don't want to include the ones from Slasher, you should at least consider my own improvements which I uploaded here earlier. If some of these go to far for your taste, I think at least the yellow Drazi beams and green Nial beams should be included, because both are clearly canon and are done with modified picture files only without any table editing which was necessary for some of the others...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What do those have to do with a remain ship todo list?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

What do those have to do with a remain ship todo list?

I thought this was your complete Zathtras todo list :)!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Found several small issues.  Uploading Zathras 2.5c.  Should be up in about an hour.  This will most likely be the last version before the release version to go with 3.6.16.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

This will most likely be the last version before the release version to go with 3.6.16.   

So what about the beam effects I mentioned above for the release version?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Re: Zathras 2.5c for dev testing
Not planning on adding anything else for this release.  Need to cut off features at some point and since 3.6.16 is now in RC stage this is a good time.  Only bugfixes will be added until after release. 

Offline wesp5

Not planning on adding anything else for this release.

May I ask you why? Because the beam effects are already finished, are miniscule in size, can't produce any bugs because they are cosmetically only and I have clearly shown that they are canon! Who knows how long it will be until another Zathras final will be released? I have the impression you just won't accept them because I am not one of the old regulars here :(...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Because adding things like this takes time and testing and I just don't have time to put towards that and getting all the necessary bug fixes done.  I didn't even get through all of emi_100's maps.  Zathras was created to fix bugs and that is the priority.  Anything else like changing effects or adding features is secondary. 

Offline wesp5

Because adding things like this takes time and testing and I just don't have time to put towards that and getting all the necessary bug fixes done.

But there is no bug fixing involved in these cases: the Nial black-and-white sprite has just been turned slightly green and the Drazi sprite has been turned yellow instead of red. Even if you would want to use my other changes, one look at the sprites or tables would show whether they are okay or not. These are only effects!

Zathras was created to fix bugs and that is the priority.

Wrong beam colours compared to the show are quite obvious bugs to me :)!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
While I never liked this fact too, I would not speak of a "bug"
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

While I never liked this fact too, I would not speak of a "bug"

Maybe, but what I don't understand is that FUBAR and you others put so many effort into fixing model details that only few people will ever notice and any newbie like myself can barge in and wonder why some beam colors are still wrong after all these years. And that although they are quite easy to fix!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
When a ship turret shoots through the vessels own hull (which many do), this does not only completely take you out of the game, it is also kind of unfair and breaks balancing. Plus IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE :-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
It's a code bug. On large ships it's perfectly plausible for a turret to be able to shoot the ship on which it's mounted. Only it wouldn't do so because it would be monumentally dumb. The solution is fix the code so that the turret checks for friendly obstructions before shooting. Not forcing designers to nerf the turrets by changing the models.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline wesp5

The solution is fix the code so that the turret checks for friendly obstructions before shooting.

I agree, but isn't there some kind of movement restriction for model turrets so they can't shoot, like say, down into the ship they are sitting on? Or some kind of angle restriction for beam weapons that tell them they can only fire like forward and maybe a maximum of 45% up, down, left or right?

And while this is the first time I meet one of the First Ones here ;), don't you think Zathras should correct canonical issues like the Drazi or Nials firing wrong beam colors? Especially when this is really easy to correct? The game is called The Babylon Project after all for a reason, isn't it :)?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It's a code bug. On large ships it's perfectly plausible for a turret to be able to shoot the ship on which it's mounted. Only it wouldn't do so because it would be monumentally dumb. The solution is fix the code so that the turret checks for friendly obstructions before shooting. Not forcing designers to nerf the turrets by changing the models.

I thought the "check hull" subsystem flag could do that now?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Good stuff. Kindly explain to the Zathras team how it works. Problem solved. My work here is done.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Check hull only goes so far.  If the fov is wrong the turret will still rotate to face a taget it can't shoot at and in some cases clip the hull of the ship in doing so.  This prevents it from picking valid targets.  In other cases turrets were set up incorrectly with the barrels and firing points pointing down the fvec instead of the uvec and/or not having the proper fvec/uvec values defined. 

Offline Slasher

I experimented with the check hull flag on the EA Phalanx guns long ago and noticed they still seemed to fire through the Omega's rotating section.  I dunno if that was model data or the engine though.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I believe the omega has some collision detection issues on the rotating section as parts of it are outside the bounding box of detail0.