Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
The FRED Workshop / Re: Incredibly Basic Questions
« Last post by karajorma on March 23, 2018, 04:59:34 am »
Yeah, I was wondering if the game would decide that stay-near required no action so they'd go on to the next one that did. Oh well.
The Modding Workshop / Re: WIP - Warehouse Station
« Last post by Black Wolf on March 23, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
Had a day off work, spent... quite a few more hours than I maybe should have working on this. Got most of the simple (non animated) dockpoints working, and one of the animated Poseidon dockpoints on the side. I ****ing love it. I fully admit I'm talking myself up a bit here, but it is cool as ****, one of the best little detail things I have ever done on a FS model. The poseidon docks, then the bridge dock extends so the polit can walk to the station, and another dock comes up to grab the cargo container. So cool! :D

The animation code is undeniably clunky and there's a little bit more FREDding involved than I would like to get some of the elements working (not the poseidon dock, but some other stuff, like getting a poseidon to drop a cargo container into one of those pits on the top, fly away and have the door slide closed over it - lots of slightly hacky sexping to make it smooth). But I don't care. It's awesome. :D

That's not much of an update, so what I do have is a name and a Tech Description.

GTI Veles

In the earliest days of interstellar travel, trade between systems was relatively limited by the simple expense of access, both to orbital and super-orbital space and to intersystem jump technology. As technology matured, however, and access to space became cheaper, commercial activity and interstellar trade grew rapidly, particularly as colonisation efforts – and later the 14 Year War – saw demand boom. Soon, the requirements of the ballooning trade network threatened to overwhelm the early Endymion class space stations of the time.

The Alliance’s response was two-fold. The first was the acceleration of the design and deployment of the earliest Arcadia class Installations in order to reduce the burden on existing Endymions in the largest populated system. The second was the development of the Veles, a smaller station and supply depot that could serve in a number of roles as a resupply depot, cargo or passenger transfer station or deep space storage facility in populated systems. Some were further adapted to provide refuelling capabilities or for maintenance and repair of the vessels they serviced.

Unlike the larger, more generalist Arcadia, the Veles demonstrates an almost spartan dedication to its role. Where an Arcadia can accommodate thousands, a Veles has an active crew of only a few hundred, and a maximum capacity of under a thousand people. Where an Arcadia has a cavernous fighterbay and was armed to defend itself during wartime, the Veles was very lightly armed (or in many cases entirely unarmed) and used its various landing bays primarily for shuttles, transports and small freighters rather than fighters. Despite these apparent shortcomings, the Veles was considered highly successful in its role, and the simple, robust design rapidly spread across Sol and the newly colonised systems of the GTA.

In modern times, the Veles continues to be popular, and most systems contain at least one or two of these versatile stations, either in public or private hands. Despite the considerable passage of time since their initial design, modern updates have seen very little change to the Veles’ basic look and layout. Newer models boast improved atmospheric shielding and vacuum sealing, more efficient reactors, slightly more advanced weaponry, and better compatibility with Vasudan ships, but are otherwise essentially identical to their older cousins.
Gaming Discussion / Re: Your First (Non-Console) Gaming Experience
« Last post by Nohiki on March 23, 2018, 02:26:32 am »
Our first PC was some pentium III rig, can't remember much more of it. My first ever game aside form the mandatory solitaire were the Fish Fillets. Still one of the best and hardest games I ever played.
General Discussion / Re: Music Thread 2018
« Last post by The E on March 23, 2018, 02:06:47 am »
But what, I hear you ask, what if Lacuna Coil was less Korn and more Djent and also japanese?

Wonder no more.
« Last post by AdmiralRalwood on March 23, 2018, 01:57:02 am »
Either Mario Teaches Typing (released for MS-DOS in 1992), ZZT (1991), or Jill of the Jungle (1992); I don't actually remember which was first, but it was probably one of those three.
The FRED Workshop / Re: Incredibly Basic Questions
« Last post by AdmiralRalwood on March 23, 2018, 01:45:37 am »
stay-near Semtu 120
attack (all the allied fighter wing names)  40
attack Semtu 10
AI only process one goal at a time; they'll just be stuck "staying near" until/unless the Semtu is destroyed (or they get attacked and follow dynamic goals).
FringeSpace / Re: Random Status Updates
« Last post by johnney351 on March 23, 2018, 01:45:10 am »
Hi, was not here for a while

just started playing some mods, blue planet Age of aquarius among others.

Tach ! that good news, lots of rain this weekend, just playing on the pc and watching movies

Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: RERELEASE: Cardinal Spear
« Last post by Goober5000 on March 23, 2018, 12:07:44 am »
Any advice for the final mission of the first campaign "A Spear In The Dark"?

Often times I have trouble defending the Agamenon.  Should I focus on enemy fighters/bombers or enemy cruisers or disarm the Suez?

I haven't played Cardinal Spear in a while so I couldn't say for certain.  I think I was able to beat it just by persistent dogfighting, and then handling other tasks as opportunity allowed.

There's also a glitch in that mission:

I was able to accomplish all objectives (I got the primary objectives complete message) and got the order to return to the Agamemnon (which was at 1%).  When the Suez blew up though it finished off the Agamemnon.  When I jumped out I got the successful debriefing music and text though.

Maybe a solution to make this mission easier would be allow the player the option of flying a bomber with one of those heavy plasma cannons that you get in an earlier mission?

We generally like to leave missions as-is in terms of balance and loadout, since they're Ported projects, not re-imagined projects.  But we do fix mission bugs.  This sounds like it could be handled with ship-guardian.

EDIT: Whoops, I missed the fact that this was Admiral Nelson's version, not the Port version.
« Last post by Akalabeth Angel on March 22, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »
It works because I edited it to work. :D

Oh I thought it worked when I posted it. Thanks dude. Much obliged
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: 20th Anniversary of Descent: FreeSpace
« Last post by Goober5000 on March 22, 2018, 11:30:17 pm »
But that would be 40 years before present day :p

I see you can add. :p  The purpose of that comparison was to show that the 20 years leading up to 1998 saw substantially more advancement than the 20 years leading up to 2018.  It was the rising part of the exponential curve.

Cobra hasn't become too jaded to appreciate it, I see. :)

Were planets possible in FS1 o___O?

Interestingly this feature was removed from the full version. But was reimplemented in the 10-missions spanning long MMX edition of the game. (aka Freespace: Darkness Rising)

It was implemented in the DVD release of the full game, as were afterburner trails.  It came bundled with certain DVD-ROM drives and you needed a Pentium III.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10