Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
I was able to successfully EMP myself by both setting the "corvette" flag to "fighter" and setting the blast radius high enough that the whole ship gets engulfed in EMP.

Unfortunately this isn't the workaround I require, for two reasons:

1: The AI might not figure out that they are supposed to use bombs on the player
2: Although getting EMPed looks really cool on the HUD, it also screws up all the dialogue.

I'm going to try breaking the player's sensor subsystem with SEXP's to simulate the effect I require in-mission.
Gaming Discussion / Re: What are you playing right now?
« Last post by Akalabeth Angel on May 21, 2018, 09:34:39 pm »
I disagree fundamentally with the "**** patreon" stance, simply because it's enabled a lot of content creators to get compensation for their work, rather then being beholden to the whims of advertisers. There's a lot of issues with it, but it's better then being reliant on Google ads for your paycheck. It has allowed a lot of niches to thrive. Can totally see why you don't like steam spy anymore though!

I don't believe in subscription models with no term expiry, that's the most insidious form of payment - with sustained revenue relying on customer apathy and inaction, rather than conscious decision making.  You can rest assured that for nearly any patreon, that while 100% of patrons are paying for content- much less than 100% of patrons are actually experiencing it with any regularity and some patrons probably pay for content months after they've stopped viewing it.

Patreons with locked content also promote sunk-cost fallacy with patrons staying subscribed to continue to have access to content they've already enjoyed but cannot experience anywhere else. 

That's one reason it will be sad to see Total Biscuit go, as he's someone who has never gone into the patreon model but has instead relied on sponsors, merchandise sales, cross-promotions with websites etcetera.   He does of course have Twitch subscribers but Twitch allows purchase of subscriptions in 3 and 6 month allotments.
« Last post by Det. Bullock on May 21, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
It's also the reason we don't have a Star Wars spacesim, it would have to be midbudget and EA doesn't do midbudget.

You do realize that you're a diehard fan of a dead, niche genre right? 

That was what my consideration about budget came from.
There are plenty of software houses that do niche genres, hell, if some stupidly convoluted **** like X can sell enough to keep Egosoft afloat as long as they don't make another blunder like Rebirth you can bet a tighter single player spacesim with the Star Wars license on the same budget with good gamepad and m+k support can undoubtedly do well.
I'd probably concur if we were talking about Freespace 3 or Wing Commander VI, but it's Star Wars: the promise alone of the "blowing up Tie Fighters in an X-wing cockpit" experience will be appealing to people, trouble is that you can't make it a triple A title that needs to sell 7.000.000 copies just to get even and EA is one of those big name publishers won't publish a middle or low budget title anymore.

I mean, we have game like Legend of Grimrock, that is a grid-based real time dungeon crawler RPG, that stuff was niche even when it was cool for crying out loud! Nothing forbids EA to try a similar low or middle budget project with a Star Wars spacesim.

I disagree fundamentally with the "**** patreon" stance, simply because it's enabled a lot of content creators to get compensation for their work, rather then being beholden to the whims of advertisers. There's a lot of issues with it, but it's better then being reliant on Google ads for your paycheck. It has allowed a lot of niches to thrive. Can totally see why you don't like steam spy anymore though!
Besides, you'd be surprised how many artists survived basically by donations or hospitality from fans even in very recent times, Patreon is just a new form of it. And I'm talking big shots like Schiller for example, his "Ode to Joy" was written to thank a fan of his work that gave him hospitality during hard times.
Probably hermes_core.
« Last post by -Joshua- on May 21, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
« Last post by Akalabeth Angel on May 21, 2018, 02:55:52 pm »
Did EVE Valkyrie do well after they dropped VR requirement and cut the price in half? I'd check Steam spy but the owner decided to ruin it by begging on patreon.

Wut? Steam deciding that every profile should be private by default is something that would ruin steam spy, what has Patreon got to do with this?

http://steamspy.com/app/538870

The guy who develops Steamspy has locked some basic functionality, like "owners", behind a patreon paywall.  You need to pay 3 USD a month for information that used to be freely available.

https://www.patreon.com/steamspy

The only thing you can see now is CCU and Twitch stats.   10K a month for a "hobby project"? GTFO **** that and **** patreon.
FS2 Open Tools / Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.10.0 (combined launcher/installer)
« Last post by Venicius on May 21, 2018, 12:53:58 pm »
Just downloaded this now and this is AMAZING! Keep up the good work!  :pimp:
Getting Started / Re: Individual Ship VPs for FSPort
« Last post by GregSheifer on May 21, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
What you want are the FS Port Media VPs. You may have already downloaded them in fact. But you need to select them as your active mod (They will automatically select FS1 port as dependency).

Hmm, now it all makes sense. Thank you!
Getting Started / Re: Where to find Scooby Doo's ship mods?
« Last post by GregSheifer on May 21, 2018, 11:43:03 am »
Nice! Thank you very much!
Thanks for the tip!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10