Poll

In an all out war (WITHOUT the Flood), who do you think would win?  If you think two factions would join forces, feel free to select them.

UNSC
Covenant
GTVA
Shivans

Author Topic: HALO vs FreeSpace  (Read 68637 times)

I'm more interested in the strength of Covenant beam weapons; they're remarkably a lot like the GTVA's in their nature. However they seem less destructive, longer range, and more precise, cutting UNSC literally to pieces instead of blasting them apart.

The covenant also have plasma torpedoes, If I recall.

I really need to start reading those books again. :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
...The covenant also have plasma torpedoes, If I recall....

Plasma torpedoes?!  Well, I'd imagine those would be just as efficient anti-bomber weapons (compared to the GTM-55) as anit-cap ship missiles.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Plasma torpedoes?!  Well, I'd imagine those would be just as efficient anti-bomber weapons (compared to the GTM-55) as anit-cap ship missiles.
Don't quote me on that (even though you just technically did); I just remember them vaguely using them at one point in the novels. As I remember it took them an exceptionally long time to charge; several minutes for each, but they did substantial amounts of damage, literally boiling away half a destroyer-sized ship with each impact.

Edit: Should have looked at the wiki.

It seems that, seeing the size of them in Halo 1 (impacting the Autumn in the first mission), they range in size from small Harbinger-sized torpedoes to gigantic balls of magnetically guided plasma like as seen in the novels, with the capability to vaporize large UNSC ships instantly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:24:16 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wolfy

Plasma torpedoes?!  Well, I'd imagine those would be just as efficient anti-bomber weapons (compared to the GTM-55) as anit-cap ship missiles.

Plasma Torpedos are the main anti-ship weapons of the Covenant. They are HIGHLY DEADLY plasma weapons, that can enter through the front of a UNSC Destroyer, cut right through the ship and come out again at the other end. Furthermore, they are guided, and as such, barely ever miss. The only times Plasma Torpedos have missed is when they encounter somthing else (Upper atmosphere of a gas giant, Debris from exploded structures, other covenant ships that strayed in the way, etc). To be precise, they are death to almost all ships, only covenant weapons thsat are more deadly is the Covenant Energy Projector (beam weapon) but thats a very rare weapon, not installed on most covvie ships.

nukes
Battle of Onyx:
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Onyx
towards the end of Battlegroup Starlingrad section: "As the Covenant closed to engage and entered the field the HORNETs were detonated, destroying all but four of the remaining Covenant warships"
Those were because the Covenant ships still had their shields down due to the fact they just exited slipspace and also due to the fact that they weren't engaged in battle, so they wouldn't have their shields raised. Also remember that it took over a dozen nuclear devices to achieve that much destruction, as well as the fact that all the covenant ships were probably close enough to be under the mercy of multiple nuclear explosions going off at once.
nukes
Battle of Sigma Octanus IV (not QUITE as effective as i thought it was):
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Sigma_Octanus_IV
Opening Actions section: "the nuclear warhead deployed earlier, was detonated, completely draining the shields on the two frigates"
Frigates are even smaller than Cruisers in the Halo universe, meaning that they probably can't handle a nuke like Cruisers can.

Shiva nukes havehad varying performance rates, seems to depend mostly on the warhead. Some covvie cap-ships can loose all their shielding from a nuke at close range, other times they can justs shrug it off. However, a nuke detonateing WITHIN a ships shields is lethal to pretty much ANY covvie ship :)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shiva-class_Nuclear_Missile

I keep reading that HALO craft fly at clicks per hour.  My question is, Is there any sort of proof behind that?  I mean, look at the BSG: Re-Imagined series.  Out of all the episodes that I've seen (...which, to be honest, isn't a whole lot...), I've only seen one episode where you could see through the cockpit of a Viper and it look VERY similar to FS combat.  For all we know, dogfighting in HALO may be the same in some sense.

The various novels mention speeds quite often.  HOWEVER, they don't mention actural top speeds of ships or anything like tht, as in space, there is no top speed (Except maybe .99 light speed). Battles can often happen over HUGE areas, such as the space between a planet and a moon, MAC rounds travel at over 100,000km/s and can still take a minute or so to reach a target, Plasma torpedos take a fair while to reach targets. Also, for ships that xcan cover such a vast distance, they will also close in very close, so close that in an insant, 2 ships can crash toogether so fast that they vaporise.

Of course, in Halo Wars, the Spirit of Fire engages a covvie ship, but that fight is so close together they aren't useing standard cap ship weapons, they seem to be useing close in weapons and troops.
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

The various novels mention speeds quite often.  HOWEVER, they don't mention actural top speeds of ships or anything like tht, as in space, there is no top speed (Except maybe .99 light speed). Battles can often happen over HUGE areas, such as the space between a planet and a moon, MAC rounds travel at over 100,000km/s and can still take a minute or so to reach a target, Plasma torpedos take a fair while to reach targets. Also, for ships that xcan cover such a vast distance, they will also close in very close, so close that in an insant, 2 ships can crash toogether so fast that they vaporise.

Of course, in Halo Wars, the Spirit of Fire engages a covvie ship, but that fight is so close together they aren't useing standard cap ship weapons, they seem to be useing close in weapons and troops.

(spoilers to Halo Wars)

Yeah, at one point in Halo Wars the Spirt of Fire accelerates around a collapsing star in what seems like only a few seconds, using it as a slingshot to escape the shield world.

Once I heard the numbers they were throwing around in the novels I found the believability of all the fights rather stretched.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wolfy

Yeah, at one point in Halo Wars the Spirt of Fire accelerates around a collapsing star in what seems like only a few seconds, using it as a slingshot to escape the shield world.

Once I heard the numbers they were throwing around in the novels I found the believability of all the fights rather stretched.

Howeverm you have to renember that space is big. Like, REALLY big. Without acturally having great big space warships with space based weapons and engines, i dont think we can really describe whats 'beleivable'. Halo space combat in the novels seems to be a lot more like space battles from various other series of novels. If anything, some of the fighting in Halo novels takes place a fair bit closer together than some battles in other novels

That pretty much puts the UNSC in a different league than the GTVA, then. The UNSC (and therefore the covenant) can rape freespace vessels at long range, with the verse happening at close range (with possible exceptions of the covenant).
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline newman

The whole discussion is moot. Chuck Norris would wait to see who survives then kill all of them using only the roundhouse kick maneuver. Because he can.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Does a roundhouse kick have a range of several thousand kilometers? :nervous:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wolfy

The whole discussion is moot. Chuck Norris would wait to see who survives then kill all of them using only the roundhouse kick maneuver. Because he can.

You're totally underestimateing Chuck Norris. He wouldnt wait to see who survives, he'd take them all on at the same time

Offline newman

Does a roundhouse kick have a range of several thousand kilometers? :nervous:

We're talking about Chuck here. He has no range. Chuck's roundhouse kick can knock planets out of their orbits if he so chooses.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
MAC rounds (piece 600 ton slug fired at 120,000KM/s + ships current speed) would probably smash most GTVA ships, and thats then the UNSC Defence platforms fire 3000 ton slugs at about half the speed of light, those destroyed Covvie ships AND any ship behind the target. Archer Missiles on most ships, Pillar of Autumn had 7800 missiles it could of fired at pretty much the same time. (although, the PoA was heavilly upgraded).

What happens to the firing ship? Surely it would be destroyed?
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Why would it be destroyed?  :wtf:

Offline Wolfy

MAC rounds (piece 600 ton slug fired at 120,000KM/s + ships current speed) would probably smash most GTVA ships, and thats then the UNSC Defence platforms fire 3000 ton slugs at about half the speed of light, those destroyed Covvie ships AND any ship behind the target. Archer Missiles on most ships, Pillar of Autumn had 7800 missiles it could of fired at pretty much the same time. (although, the PoA was heavilly upgraded).

The magnetic acceleraters recharge for a few minutes and fire another round. Unless it's run out of rounds, in which case it runs, fast

You'd think. They are railguns, but I have no idea how they could manage recoil from a slug fired at that size with such a large amount of force.

I don't know the effectiveness of Archer missiles. They don't seem terribly much powerful than the freespace equivelant a swarm of fusion motars. Though, that wouldn't be terribly weak, either.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Errrm. Railguns have slightly different recoil characteristics from black-powder cannons, you know. For one, since they do not use explosive force to generate kinetic energy, but rather transfer that energy gradually to the projectile as it travels through the barrel, they don't have to deal with one giant impulse at the start of the firing cycle, but rather a continuous force during the entire time the projectile is brought up to speed. Second, because of their construction, the recoil does not act directly opposite to the firing direction, it acts perpendicular instead. In other words, you don't have to deal with traditional recoil as much, it's keeping the barrel from exploding that's the hard part.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Qent

I'm pretty sure momentum must be conserved anyway. But MACs are coilguns, not railguns.

And the NNTGTVSAF would beat them all. Nah, I voted Shivan.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, recoil does happen, just not in the same way you'd expect from explosive-powered guns.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wolfy

However, the most important fact to renember is: Halo isn't real :P

Edit: And if it was real... well, there's some pretty nasty rings out there waiting to destroy all life in the galaxy.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
However, the most important fact to renember is: Halo isn't real :P

Neither is FreeSpace. :nervous: