Author Topic: Animation Request  (Read 3539 times)

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright
Hey Mjn, I have a request for you.

a simple intelanim, basically for a new weapon that I made for my campaign. There is good news and bad news:

The Good: the scene is properly animated to do everything I want. the models are UV mapped and everything.  :yes:

The Bad: My laptop takes forever to do any rendering. I am at frame 8 now since starting several hours ago, and it's 135 frames at 15fps.  :hopping:

The Ugly: It's in a blender 2.49b .blend file. 

The Proposition: Since blender eats up all my resources, I can't work on anything else while it renders, which blows. It's akin to watching paint dry or a candle burn all the way down, and it's eating up my precious free time to work on this. I was wondering if it was at all possible for me to send you the .blend file and other necessary resources such as the textures involved and then have your machine render it, hopefully faster than mine.

Now, if you're busy working on a more legit project, don't have or use or know anything about blender, or are about to tell me that it will take an equally lengthy amount of time on your rig as it is mine, then I will gladly continue to handle this myself.

But if you are otherwise free, PLEASE! I'd really like to get moving onto other modelling projects for this mod. I'll keep the render running in the meantime. Let me know what you think, and if you are good to go, then I'll post the resources ASAP.

Oh yes, and if yes, would you be interested in handling more rendering later on?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Mr. President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure, send it over and I'll take a look.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright
WOOOOOOOOT!!!!

Happier than a kid in a candy store.

Let me gather up the pieces.....

*takes fistfuls from the lollipop bins and runs back out*

Here we are!

EDIT: Obviously you will have to fix the texture directories to your own designs, but let me know if anything else hits the fan.

EDIT2: And one more thing. The texturing and modeling is pretty shabby even by my standards (I spent maybe three hours total working on it altogether), but I would still love some feedback about things that I could do to improve from a professional.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:22:09 pm by gamerdude873 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dude.. the only texture I got was the AO bake. (well, and the grid.)

Also, do you want this to be in the style of the FS2 select anims? (Or Tech Anims). I have templates for those already setup and would be happy to render this for you using those templates. Go here to see the templates.

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright
Crap, I should have checked more closely. I'm really, really sorry about that. I'll check for the proper texture immediately.

Well, if you feel better about doing the anim in that particular way, then you should. I have no qualms. So I guess go ahead and do it the FS2 way. I would also love an icon, cause I'm using the subach icon right now.

Alright. This upload certainly does have the right texture.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll render it in the fs2 style, it'll look great.

Do you want a tech anim? If so, I just need some basic info (power and what not) as well as a tech description. (3 sentences or so.)

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright
I would love a tech anim.

The USSW-RF101 SAW Weapon System is a well-liked and common weapon that is cheap and easy to maintain. Unlike plasma cannons, which require reserves of material out of which to create the plasma, the Saw is simply a high-powered Laser. Laser technology has improved significantly from enormous apparatuses to being cost-effective and compact over the last 100 years. While arguably much weaker than any available plasma cannons, the Saw has many other benefits. It's range is a good deal longer than any plasma prototypes, whose energy dissipates rapidly over short distances, and neither heat nor radiation within the ship itself is a problem. In addition, it's rate of fire is very, very high, while it's energy consumption is quite reasonable. Safe to handle, cheap to build, and effective, the SAW is an excellent weapon, fitting for any person or craft defending the Republic.

I have no specific numbers unfortunately for the weapon itself as of yet and what is present will certainly be changed for balance, but the temporary settings for the weapon are:

Code: [Select]
$Mass: 0.1 
$Velocity: 1000
$Fire Wait: 0.1
$Damage: 10
$Armor Factor:                    0.5
$Shield Factor:                   0.3
$Subsystem Factor:                0.9
$Lifetime:                        1.25
$Energy Consumed:                 0.5

Also, could you give me a hint on how to get the tech anim/description working? I've been playing around with a simple placeholder, but all I get is a blank deal (Meaning just the default background, no images) where the anim should be, and any icons I've made crash the game when I open the weapon loadout screen. I've tried both .eff and .ani files, but I just can't seem to implement either properly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:52:41 pm by gamerdude873 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
DOWNLOAD
There's your files.

As for the other questions, not sure. I'd need to see a log and probably the table entries for the weapons. I would recommend a thread on the modding board or just pop in IRC chat and ask.

EDIT: The icon didn't work. This new one will.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:14:24 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright
You, sir, are a god. Thank you for everything!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, as per your question about the select icons crashing FSO... I've just about finished a script that will take a rendered image sequence and build the icon with the proper palettes and what not. Keep an eye on the 'Freespace Tools' board for my Anim Creation Kit.

Offline gamerdude873

• The Shipwright

Also, as per your question about the select icons crashing FSO... I've just about finished a script that will take a rendered image sequence and build the icon with the proper palettes and what not. Keep an eye on the 'Freespace Tools' board for my Anim Creation Kit.

I certainly will.

...And I've got another request for you already. I would like the same package as before, if that's alright.

It's this missile in the link. The stats for the hasta are virtually the same as the harpoon currently, and the description is:

"The Hasta is a new aspect-seeking missile, a replacement to the older, sporadically reliable Hawk-series used in the Second US Civil War. Though aspect-seekers are useless at long range as they are highly vulnerable to hacking by shipboard computers, within dog-fights they are invaluable and brutally lethal in the hands of a skilled Republican pilot."

Thanks for everything once again. Don't hesitate to contact me if something is wrong.

The file is bigger than the board cap because of the texture, so I uploaded it to 2shared. heres the link:
http://www.2shared.com/file/SpG_vSmf/HASTA-RESOURCES.html

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Done.

Also, over on the previously mentioned Tools board, I released a new version of my toolkit with a script that will make the right kind of ANI for an icon from an image sequence.