Author Topic: Alternate Versions Template  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Alternate Versions Template
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTTB_Armageddon#Alternate_Versions

This is an experiment. What do people think? I see it as a good way to implement reskins in the wiki, especially when they change the name of the ship - prior to this, searching for "GTB Euryale" came up with nothing - I didn't recognize the model straight up, so in order to see how to credit it, ?I needed to look up every single bomber I couldn't picture from the user-made ships page. This seems like it'd be more straightforward in future, if we roll it out across the more commonly used mods.

Incidentally, see the Temnplate Talk Page for a neat and tidy way of implementing them side by side for a ship that's been reskinned more than once.

So, opinions?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Alternate Versions Template
This is pretty cool! The Euryale should probably also get its own page where its fluff and veteran comments can live, but this looks like a great organizational tool.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is pretty cool! The Euryale should probably also get its own page where its fluff and veteran comments can live, but this looks like a great organizational tool.

I'm kind of trying to avoid adding extra pages, for lots of reasons. Partially because the wiki traditionally (though not 100%) doesn't give reskins or renames their own page, partially to keep "User-made Ships" from getting even more unwieldy than it already is (although people have been pretty good about keeping reskins and renames off there), and partially to ensure that the creator's original version is the first version found when searching for any particular ship. That said, there's no reason a basic template couldn't link to another page if there was enough interest to generat a lot of VCs or whatever.

That said, I hadn't considered Veteran Comments or the tech description. I'm fiddling with the ship box template to see if I can apply that basic architecture to this idea. Should be better and more flexible.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, as a pretty obvious example of what I'm worried about, I think a lot of these pages are fun reading and I would be sad to see them go (the Atalanta page, for instance, would be pretty tough to pack into the Kvasir):
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Blue_Planet_ships
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Dimensional_Eclipse (these ships in general have less to worry about as a lot of them are already shared pages, but something like the Yukikaze Mave would need to be redone)

Do we want to roll back the work of the wiki editors who've put so much effort into these pages? It'll also create some confusion when ships like the Draco or the 'Diomedes' get remodeled from the ground up - does the new mesh get a new page?

I think it's really important that creators always get credit for a model, but a model's just one part of the interesting stuff about a ship, and I like browsing the wiki and finding out the different ways that Inferno, ASW, and BP (or Aldo, Shadow Genesis, and Dimensional Eclipse) have placed a model in context. You can keep all that information on a shared page, but it might get really crowded in some cases!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Like, totally check out this page, dude, it's so full of WORDS http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCv_Diomedes

That'd be hell to fit into the template here.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, as a pretty obvious example of what I'm worried about, I think a lot of these pages are fun reading and I would be sad to see them go (the Atalanta page, for instance, would be pretty tough to pack into the Kvasir):
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Blue_Planet_ships
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Dimensional_Eclipse (these ships in general have less to worry about as a lot of them are already shared pages, but something like the Yukikaze Mave would need to be redone)

Do we want to roll back the work of the wiki editors who've put so much effort into these pages? It'll also create some confusion when ships like the Draco or the 'Diomedes' get remodeled from the ground up - does the new mesh get a new page?

I think it's really important that creators always get credit for a model, but a model's just one part of the interesting stuff about a ship, and I like browsing the wiki and finding out the different ways that Inferno, ASW, and BP (or Aldo, Shadow Genesis, and Dimensional Eclipse) have placed a model in context. You can keep all that information on a shared page, but it might get really crowded in some cases!

I wasn't suggesting deleting existing ship pages. The Kvasir is a great example - I've made what I would propose as the changes there for ships which would be impractical to squeeze into a tiny box. The decision to add a new page for a reskin or variant would have to be made on a case-by-case basis, but common sense should prevail in most cases.

The idea here is to get more ship variants onto the wiki without overwhelming pages like user-made ships - it's definitely not to delete existing work. Prior to this, for example, the Euryale probably wouldn't have gotten added to the wiki at all (as it was a reskin and didn't have the same community notoriety (yet) as some of the ships you've talked about), while the Atalanta (which plainly does have that) was always going to end up with its own page on the wiki due to community interest generating a large amount of data.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:42:11 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's very convincing. I have no reservations, then!