Author Topic: Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Visionary modder and coder
    • Twitter
Re: Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign
I have an update this month on my progress, ignoring any terrifying prospect of a Donald Trump win this November or anything worse to come (e.g. a Clinton win).

First of all, my bonus mission was made by woutersmits, although its wing naming scheme does not match my own (i.e. GRW wings use Hindu gods, Horologian wings use colors, and enemy wings use schemes similar to the NATO alphabet), and the ship placement and every other aspect of the mission needs some serious tweaking.

Secondly, in addition to being the first to use PBR assets, my mod makes extensive use of external shaders, with parallax occlusion and relief mapping via heightmaps.

Thirdly, I would like to plan to HTL all of the used Ancient ship models to match FreeSpace's Shivan and Vasudan designs, specifically for this mod. It always make full use of heightmaps, as well as full PBR.

And fourthly, on my Youtube video, there's a comment made by another user. He said he wanted something with better framerate, which looks pretty awesome. I commented, and I hope to get beta-testers here as soon as the missions are fleshed out thoroughly.

Right now, FREDding has picked up some progress. And the teaser trailer will be posted on ModDB.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Campaigns:
FreeSpace: Reunited - Shattered Stars

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Online m!m

Secondly, in addition to being the first to use PBR assets, my mod makes extensive use of external shaders, with parallax occlusion and relief mapping via heightmaps.
FYI, this means that your mod will probably be broken in future iterations of the engine since external shaders are not part of the backwards compatibility guarantee.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
FYI, this means that your mod will probably be broken in future iterations of the engine since external shaders are not part of the backwards compatibility guarantee.
That's what my concern is. My objective is to deliver a mod that is not broken in future iterations of the FSOpen engine, not even a single CTD. I tend to go into higher realism - the same level as Star Citizen and others. What should I do with external shaders? Disable it?

Still, I'm curious whether there is still support for parallax occlusion mapping via heightmaps even after the implementation of Swifty's PBR pipeline, the much needed feature for my mod. And there's a question for HDR, motion blurs, real-time reflections, depth of field, lens flares, and volumetric effects (thrusters, lasers, beams, nebulae, smoke, particles, clouds) seen in modern games, as well as image-based rendering.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Online m!m

What should I do with external shaders? Disable it?
Yes. If you use external shaders then you will encounter issues relatively soon.

Still, I'm curious whether there is still support for parallax occlusion mapping via heightmaps even after the implementation of Swifty's PBR pipeline, the much needed feature for my mod. And there's a question for HDR, motion blurs, real-time reflections, depth of field, lens flares, and volumetric effects (thrusters, lasers, beams, nebulae, smoke, particles, clouds) seen in modern games, as well as image-based rendering.
As far as I am aware, we do not have any parallax mapping technique in the current engine. We already have HDR support which was added as part of the PBR changes. The other features are not supported and you will have to implement them yourself or get someone to implement them for you.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
As far as I am aware, we do not have any parallax mapping technique in the current engine. We already have HDR support which was added as part of the PBR changes. The other features are not supported and you will have to implement them yourself or get someone to implement them for you.
Sounds familiar. Where can I do about it? Post another thread somewhere in this forum to suggest these or I implement myself, since I got my GitHub repository for FS2_Open.

And what of displacement mapping? Last I heard that it is a successor to parallax occlusion/relief mapping that you don't have in the current engine. And what of Vulkan?

Regarding of my progress, I'm trying to resolve these issues before shifting into high gear in FREDding. I'm considering recruiting beta-testers.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Online m!m

Sounds familiar. Where can I do about it? Post another thread somewhere in this forum to suggest these or I implement myself, since I got my GitHub repository for FS2_Open.
If you have an implementation you could post it on GitHub. If the implementation is good enough we will merge it but that is not certain.

And what of displacement mapping? Last I heard that it is a successor to parallax occlusion/relief mapping that you don't have in the current engine.
Displacement mapping requires tesselation which would need to be integrated into the engine first. I looked at a few techniques for displacement mapping but I have enough other stuff I have to handle first.

And what of Vulkan?
We are in no position to consider adding a Vulkan rendering engine since our OpenGL engine can still be optimized quite a bit.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
If you have an implementation you could post it on GitHub. If the implementation is good enough we will merge it but that is not certain.

And what of displacement mapping? Last I heard that it is a successor to parallax occlusion/relief mapping that you don't have in the current engine.
Displacement mapping requires tesselation which would need to be integrated into the engine first. I looked at a few techniques for displacement mapping but I have enough other stuff I have to handle first.

And what of Vulkan?
We are in no position to consider adding a Vulkan rendering engine since our OpenGL engine can still be optimized quite a bit.
Right now, I'm having problems with the new CMake system. It seem that I can't properly build using CMake (using GUI) and Visual Studio 2015 (or anything on any platforms other than Windows). I've lots of implementations in mind, including X-wing-style continuing wing numbers, new visual effects (including tesselation and lens flare and volumetric effects), and optimizations of OpenGL engine (to at least prepare for the Vulkan implementation in the future) to name a few.

Regarding the final result of the PBR-enabled mod and its final iteration of the game's story, I will keep you in suspense.

In the meantime, check out the background image of a mainhall of some GRW carrier that is WIP. I can use it as a base for that model :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I know it's been a while, but I've been anything but distraught over the US election results pointing to a Donald Trump win, which is pleased by his friend, Russian President Vladimir Putin. I've decided to release a WiP gameplay video on its singleplayer campaign.

The HTL'ding of the Ancient fleet, as well as replacements, will not begin at any time, however.

In the FREDding front, one mission is close to completion (it needs more tweaking and improving), while the following has started; both of which are set at the same time roughly as the scenes near the climax of its 2012 Total Recall remake. On the tables, I've created the -part.tbm file for particles for this mod, making it the first to make use of FSOpen's latest features.

The next gameplay video will be towards the end of this month.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Online Black Wolf

Do you really think you can justify the claims of being "the first" to use various features like particle tables and PBR before you've actually released anything?

I mean, yeah, sure, it doesn't really mean anything, but, well... it doesn't really mean anything. I promise you people aren't going to be any more or less interested in your mod because it was "the first" to use some feature anyway, but it's particularly irrelevant to be the first to use a feature during Dev stages. If that's all you want to claim, then surely the coders who wrote these features would be "the first"?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
My GRC Senaya (based on the SC Raguel, which Betrayal and I made, with me doing my PBR assets, released last January), and the WiP particle tables I've begun working on.

EDIT: The latter will be showcased at the next video to be released at the end of this month.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Nyctaeus

• Betrayal is his middle name
  • I bring cool models, derisive smile and beer!
    • Exile
Screw up new SCP features. Focus on gameplay instead!

I see tons of shooting here. TONS! And just a few destroyed enemy fighters with constant low energy and empty secondaries. You need to rebalance it. I got the idea of hi-vel mod and it's cool, but you better adjust your weapons to be more accurate or slow down your fighters. Believe me, you really don't want to force your players to take out single fighter for five minutes.

Also you may need to adjust settings of axem message script. Messages disappear too fast and almost no single message is not-cut in your video.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:24:03 am by Betrayal »
MY PRODUCTIONS
- Exile
- Shadow Genesis

MY RELEASED CONTENT SO FAR
Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome

CURRENT PROJECTS
SMT Skade | EAD Lindos | GTSC Schrodinger

Want to know what's coming? Check my WIP Mods Thread!

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

My p3d account

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Betrayal's right. I've long known about lots of shooting, and a few destroyed enemy fighters with low energy and depleted secondary banks, as well as messages disappear too fast - as my mod currently lacks voice acting. The SCP features will come last. I'm focusing on gameplay and story, and how these two remain coherent without getting disconnected.

EDIT: What are these things I need to change in the tables?

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Nyctaeus

• Betrayal is his middle name
  • I bring cool models, derisive smile and beer!
    • Exile
Go to config folder and find axmessage.cfg. Open it with notepad and change proper value. It's easy.
MY PRODUCTIONS
- Exile
- Shadow Genesis

MY RELEASED CONTENT SO FAR
Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome

CURRENT PROJECTS
SMT Skade | EAD Lindos | GTSC Schrodinger

Want to know what's coming? Check my WIP Mods Thread!

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

My p3d account

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I modified it, but, right now, I'm having problems with the startup of FRED2 and FS2, both of which I critically need for continuing my development.

What else I should change? Weapons attributes? Hit points and shields (not only fighters/bombers, but also freighters, transports, capships and cruisers)? Acceleration, but not top speeds (500 m/s for fighters and 350 m/s or below for capships)?

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Just a quick update: I've increased the $Forward accel and $Forward decel to make the fighters easy to shoot down in just a few seconds :)

Next up, is the hit points/shield amount of capships.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
This is a Christmas/Happy New Year message regarding the development of Shattered Stars.

Although progress have slowed down due to the polarized and Russia-interfered nature of the US election, which is the last ever sadly, and the coming fascism towards America and the rest of the world from Russia complete with corruption and lawlessness (as well as coming anti-tech sentiments in disguise of cyber security against hacks), I have made milestones:

Two WiP gameplay videos, the latter of which revealed the gameplay flaws (I've since corrected that and you not have to worry - but, as I said, the story and narrative is very important)

An almost ready fleetpack (GRW, Authority, Horologian?), with balanced high-speed movements, weapons, etc.

Missions 1-4 (>99% complete)
Outlines for Missions 11-13 is clear and settled: it's set around and after the respective climax and ending of the 2012 Total Recall movie. FREDding is underway.
Mission 15B is actually a bonus SP mission from Woutersmits, I'm going to re-tweak it heavily.

Built for future FSO 3.8.0 versions, with PBR, particle effects, fonts, and more to come.

I plan to update my Shattered Stars' ModDB page later on with news, screenshots and videos. As the release gets closer, I plan to release a teaser trailer, followed by a gameplay/story trailer, then a full release.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I've been again appalled by the recent inauguration of US President Donald Trump, but I have yet another update. This time, after waiting for the damn SDL joystick fix, I've managed to post a video about FSO's new particle system (I planned to expand upon) in action.

This should encourage mods teams, and the MediaVPs to use the new particle system.

Aside from that, I've even created several particles for impacts and beam flashes. However, ship death, missile-related and other particles need to be worked on.

On the FREDding front, it is starting to pick up steam.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I deliver an update for Shattered Stars. The restructuring of my mod pack is almost complete (with the Caranayodhin, Jayamalla and Shuuro based on the AF Corybant, AF Archanes and AB Silenus; three of which are on the ASW Act III dump), and FREDDing of missions will contiune in a matter of days.

Campaigns:

Ships:

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Re: [HELP WANTED] Shattered Stars - A FS2 Campaign
I'd like to share my development update to you here, for anyone unaware about this (EDIT: It has been archived for some reason. I'll plan to write a better one on it)

In other words, I've made the completed modpack available for woutersmits (and others for that matter) to download. The Github link is:

https://github.com/bryansee/ShatteredStars-Dev

What I need now is to put a notice calling for others to work on, including two more unnamed Shattered Stars sequels.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:16:05 pm by Bryan See »

Campaigns:

Ships: