Author Topic: With the removal of Gen Disc from Unread Posts, can has generalized tech thread?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: With the removal of Gen Disc from Unread Posts, can has generalized tech thread?
Could we opt in to Gen Disc on recent posts the way you used to be able to opt out?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: With the removal of Gen Disc from Unread Posts, can has generalized tech thread?
I'm trying not to get mad about this again, but it irks me that those of us who regularly read GenDisc have to now jump thru extra hoops to see unread posts there, while the option to ignore it on Unread Posts ALREADY EXISTS for those who don't want to see anything in that forum.  The haters got their way, and killed GenDisc, even though there were other reasonable alternatives and suggestions, such as putting it behind a member wall or having people request access to it.

I — bh — wuh — but how is it dead? Is it that much of an extra hoop to click on 'general discussion' instead of 'show unread posts' on the forum index?

The reason i said "dead" is because there have been so few posts there since it was removed from "unread topics".  But maybe there were not that many before anyway; since I almost exclusively used the view unread posts I rarely noticed what board a post was in.

Regarding the hoops, thank you for reiterating my point for me.  Even though minor, GenDisc users now have to go through hoops every time they want to to look for what's new. Even bookmarking it still requires extra steps vs. the unread posts link (which is actually one of my browser home tabs).  Was it that much of an extra hoop to select "ignore this board" one time?

Could we opt in to Gen Disc on recent posts the way you used to be able to opt out?

That's all I ask.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

That's all I ask.  :)

It would require a bit of finagling.  I think the best option would be to run a one-time database query that would add Gen Disc to every user's ignore list, then remove it from the forum-wide ignore list.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Would that apply to future new users as well?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm, if I ran a one-time query it wouldn't apply to new users.  It would be necessary to add a bit of code to set this when each new user registers.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I don't understand how or why this is preferable to "just don't go in GenDisc if you don't like it".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think the idea is to stop Gen Discuss bleeding into the rest of the site. And to make it so that it isn't one of the first things seen by new users.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Again, I think the opt-in board for any potentially-weighty discussion is the best option.  Keep GenDisc for the lighthearted stuff that's perfectly fine to keep on the tracker.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, I suspect that's going to end up being the result since it sounds like what most of the people involved wanted. We're just trying to figure out when all the admins are free to discuss all the stuff that came up on the various HLP Future threads.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Since there's an "Ignore boards" option in account settings, perhaps you could just mark General Discussion there as ignored by default, at least for any new accounts created? Anyone who knows HLP a bit could go there and turn it on/off.

Because nobody is going to dictate me what I have in my "Unread posts" page. :p
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.