Author Topic: Disappearing Stars  (Read 1529 times)

Offline AV8R

Hi everyone,

I have a custom made mission in which the stars are not (or are barely) visible until either turning the ship or hitting the afterburner (then they go back to being dim/barely visible again). What causes this?

I tried it with both the 3.7.4 AVX Final and the latest nightly with the same results (this is an FS2-based mission using 2014_MediaVPs). Suggestions?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmm... This might seem obvious, but if you've not made custom missions before, ia it possible you've forgotten to add the "starfield.pof" skybox in the background editor? The behaviour you're describing sounds a lot like the retail stars.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's definitely it.

I first saw this thread title and I thought someone was asking for help with a script to make the stars go out, one by one.

That would make for a very creepy nightmare mission!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Someone would have to mod a Tardis though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I first saw this thread title and I thought someone was asking for help with a script to make the stars go out, one by one.

That would make for a very creepy nightmare mission!

Which can be done with enough skyboxes and infinite memory :P (as you can change the skybox via SEXP)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Yeah, a more practical approach would be using multiple overlaying background "starfield" bitmaps and disappear those progressively instead.

Blue Planet did something similar in UT2 with nebulae.