Author Topic: One more question  (Read 1590 times)

Okay, we're almost there. I think I have all the missions in a releasable state, but I've run into a snag with the format.

So, this campaign doesn't use any edited tables or assets or anything like that. It was all done in FRED, using bpcomplete as a base. So what I was planning to do was package the missions up into a campaign file, upload that, and tell people to just copy it into their BP missions folder.

Then I actually made the campaign file, saw that it was 4 kilobytes, and realized that campaign files probably don't actually contain the mission files.

So. Obviously, I could still just upload all the loose mission files along with the fc2, and have people copy those. It would be easy enough, but I'm not sure how much patience people would have for that, and I'm sufficiently desperate for feedback that I don't want to do anything that risks putting people off downloading and playing it.

The other option is to do what most people do and make a separate mod folder. Only then, I have to put bpcomplete as a dependency. And for whatever reason, if I do that, and have the new folder selected, the game throws a billion errors at me as soon as I start up FS2. Most of them seem to take the form of "unable to load [asset]", with most of the assets being weapons effects (although I didn't go through all of them; there were a lot).

So the questions are: how tolerant would the userbase here be of the loose-files approach, and if the answer is "not very", how would I fix this dependency issue? Am I missing something obvious? I'll provide more detailed information on the errors if it becomes necessary.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Fix the dep issue, it should be super easy!

Alright, down to business then.

[starts fiddling with stuff to generate the warnings again]

Welp, now I'm completely lost. I had been using a 'dummy' folder -- it contained a data folder and the mod.ini, and nothing else. That caused the errors, with BP as either primarylist or secondarylist. I'd tried having a mod dependent on bpcomplete before a while back, with the same result.

Only now I put the missions and the campaign file into the mod's data folder, and put bpcomplete as the primary. (And switched back to a normal build from fastdebug, but I don't see how that would change anything. I wasn't using a debug build when this originally happened.) Now the game launched fine -- it generated 53 warnings, but it worked -- except that the campaign isn't available. ???????

Okay. Um, I seem to have the campaign available now. Still getting 53 errors, but I can select it. Only when I try to start the campaign, it says it can't load in 2_CommandBrief-mb...

See, this is why I wanted to avoid this for now. I have no idea what I'm doing.

a;gsahgio;asghiag;h

Well, it...seems like every time I start the game, something completely different, but equally gamebreaking, happens. Haven't been able to retrieve the errors. I attached my mod.ini, though, so if there's some obvious error in it, hopefully that might help...

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Okay...I...think I have it working. It looks like what I needed to do was put BP as the primary and the MediaVPs as the secondary? I assumed that since BP had the VPs as a dependent anyway, that would do it...

So it seems functional -- I'm not even getting errors -- but I honestly have no idea why it's working or why it wasn't working before, so I should probably do more testing.

EDIT: Alright, yeah, it definitely seems to be working, with the minor caveat that nobody has any weapons. It's not the 'didn't set any weapons as available in the campaign editor' thing; there are weapons available, just nothing equipped. Strange. It's only the ships in the loadout screen, fortunately; other craft still have weapons.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:33:27 am by Kestrellius »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The multimod section in your mod.ini should look like this:
Code: [Select]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = bpcomplete,mediavps_2014;

The launcher only reads the mod.ini of the selected mod which is why it didn't pick up MediaVPs as a dependency of BP.

The multimod section in your mod.ini should look like this:
Code: [Select]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = bpcomplete,mediavps_2014;

The launcher only reads the mod.ini of the selected mod which is why it didn't pick up MediaVPs as a dependency of BP.

Alright. Thanks.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, that is the one limitation of the mod.ini system. In an ideal world it would parse the file of the main dependent mod automatically, but that would probably create some horrific conflicts I can't think of right now.

Alright, I'm going to do a run-through of the campaign with a debug build, and then do my release post. The file's only a couple megabytes; should I zip it anyway?