Author Topic: Hello again  (Read 11608 times)

I'd like to release an album of my music from Earth Defense. I hope it'll help people stay excited for the project. What do people think? Also, I'm okay with the idea of other people using it, but I would like to okay each individual usage first, this is just so I can keep tabs on what happens to it and it may help me with inspiration with writing new tracks again.

Truth is I haven't really written anything since Earth Defense fizzled out around late 2011 and up until Battuta contacted me I was actually going to ebay all my musical instruments. That might surprise some people. Did you know I went to the same music school as Ed Sheeran? That surprised me as well. My sole musical output since 2012 was a guitar version of the Illusive Man theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtrVTDBh-Q0

For the record I have since begun training as a physicist and I graduate next year. I know lots about astrophysics now :)

--- Update 12/04/2015 ---

Thank you all for your kind comments. Judging from my sound cloud stats "Briefing E" is one of the most popular tracks, probably as a result of the recommendation it received. Which is surprising to me because it undoubtedly has the worst mix and I don't even remember writing it. But people seem to like it. Oh well. I have produced a new version of it: https://soundcloud.com/matthias-borgias/planet-of-the-melancholic-pixel-people-briefing-e
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:23:06 pm by Daddy_Warhol »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It would be an absolute ****ing shame for that amazing soundtrack to go unappreciated (and same goes for the creator!) I will happily support you in getting this music out there. I hope you don't stop writing music.

I'm thinking about putting it on sound cloud for people around here to conveniently listen to, then if they like it they can contact me and we go from there.

There's a long and rich tradition of physicist musicians; it'd be a shame for you to be left out of the canon.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I keep hearing that this music is awesome, and based on the linked music and other stuff on your youtube I'm inclined to believe it. I'm with Batts, keeping anything that good under wraps forever would be a shame.

SKULL FORCE ONE - My Hands are Lasers? Is there any more awesome title? Music's pretty good too, I bet I know some people who'll appreciate being linked to this.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What do people think?
:yes:

Also, that Illusive Man remix sounds amazing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

https://soundcloud.com/matthias-borgias/sets/the-earth-defense-album-freespace-2-music

All done.

Skull Force One was my little experiment in "80s retrowave" (think Hotline Miami soundtrack,  good example: Perturbator - Vengeance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZlggHqU7M). My Hands are Lasers needs to be paired with a good video however to have the right impact. There's got to be a few people here with an encyclopaedic knowledge of freaky Anime films who can point me in the right direction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ungh that Briefing E is so good.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This stuff is awesome! Really captures that FS-style, but with its own flair.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:06:52 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Is is just me or does this really sound very Halo-esque? Also that Funeral Ambient sounds really familiar to me somehow. Other than that, this is really good.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
This is amazing. I really hope this gets used in some campaigns, it fits FS very well and the quality is epic.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
These are absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing these with the community Daddy_Warhol. I'm glad that other people have finally got the chance to appreciate your work. :)
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Yep, these are pretty awesome alright.
*thumbs up*

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
this music is good music, thank you for sharing it with us

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Do you have Skype? There's a project I'm working on that could seriously benefit from some tracks done by you.

Just wanted to drop in on this thread and say: really great work. I listened to all the stuff on Soundcloud during work and it really got me into the flow as I imagine it would put players into the flow of flight.  :yes:

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Out of curiosity
What are the origins of the track from the first part? I am fairly certain it isn't on soundcloud.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Always glad to hear new sound tracks for freespace! Those are of some high quality too.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I was curious so I put on the first track as I worked on some stuff. It gave me chills.
Seriously, this is some damn good music and I thank you for it!  :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Out of curiosity
What are the origins of the track from the first part? I am fairly certain it isn't on soundcloud.
It's Earth Defence menu music. Daddy_Warhol wrote it too, but he didn't upload it on soundcloud.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.