Author Topic: What happens after deferred lighting and shadows are done?  (Read 11925 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: What happens after deferred lighting and shadows are done?
I wish to bring up the long-deprecated experimental feature of damage decals, which I would also like to see combined with persistent surface explosion effects to simulate massive damage from hull breaches.

this would be awesome
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
 I agree that ways to show permanent damage would be the best next graphical step, since it would add the most to immersion.  I also agree with spoon that shields could use some love.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I agree that ways to show permanent damage would be the best next graphical step, since it would add the most to immersion.  I also agree with spoon that shields could use some love.

I had missed that one and yer would love to see that, especially if the test code is still about
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I had missed that one and yer would love to see that, especially if the test code is still about

It isn't. It got purged along with the rest of the DirectX code a long time ago; Any new implementation of this feature (and I wouldn't hold my breath for it) will have to start from scratch.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

That would require a kind of a Valathil-like brilliant shader-fu to pull it off.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's the other thing as well. The original decal code was made long before shaders were a thing in FSO; any new decal code would have to be based on Swifty's work here.

That being said, a working decal implementation would have a few nice sideeffects. Nameplates, for example, would be much easier to do using them (instead of the somewhat awkward way they're done now).

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Yeah, if we were ever to do decals and better nameplates, they'd likely be a screenspace effect since we'll soon have deferred lighting available. It would be the easiest method of pulling it off but would prevent decals from being available on the forward shading pipeline.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The original decals were displayed as simple black burn marks on the surface of a ship.  It was never implemented with beams however, because with slash beams, the number of times it makes contact with the hull is dependent on the frame-rate of the machine running the game.  As a result, instead of a swath of damage, it would look more like the beam skipped its way along the target hull.

As for my concept of persistent explosions, the effect would have a single large explosion in the center of the impact point, that would be continuously looping.  Then it would have a series of smaller explosion effects around it, crossing over with the edge of the central effect.  This would give the impression of fires on the surface of the ship fed by hull breaches.  Over time, the explosion cluster would shrink as the oxygen is consumed.  As the explosions recede, the burn decal would be visible underneath.  Obviously, only high-damage weapons would create damage to this extent, and perhaps like beam gutting, it only happens once a ship's overall hull strength drops below a certain level.   All of these could easily be modder-controlled in the tables.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, if we were ever to do decals and better nameplates, they'd likely be a screenspace effect since we'll soon have deferred lighting available. It would be the easiest method of pulling it off but would prevent decals from being available on the forward shading pipeline.

I don't think that's a hindrance, really. If we maintain the forward renderer as the low-end fallback option, missing effects on it are a feature, not a bug.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I demand Anisotropy!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Oculus rift would be awesome....i know it's not the major improvement, but i'd really like to play diaspora with it :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

I would love to have a real multi-threaded FreeSpace  :rolleyes:

Afaik it is still a single-core application? It would have a big performance boost... especially for all upcoming effects and 4k resolutions :).

Or instead of new graphiceffects, maybe some sound additions? Things like hardware accelerated surround sound, like in Retail. AMD TrueAudio or others... because ears are also very important :).
I think OpenAL uses EFX... but i am not sure if that is used correctly by FSO. Retail uses only EAX(1.0) afaik.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:00:39 pm by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I would love to have a real multi-threaded FreeSpace  :rolleyes:

Afaik it is still a single-core application? It would have a big performance boost... especially for all upcoming effects and 4k resolutions :).
There have been some experiments done with multi-threading. Unfortunately, since nobody wants to rewrite the entire engine, they've so far been limited to specific sections of the codebase, and the additional overhead tends to cancel out any performance improvements there.

Or instead of new graphiceffects, maybe some sound additions? Things like hardware accelerated surround sound, like in Retail. AMD TrueAudio or others... because ears are also very important :).
I think OpenAL uses EFX... but i am not sure if that is used correctly by FSO. Retail uses only EAX(1.0) afaik.
jg18 has been working on improvements to the sound code.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.