Author Topic: [RELEASE] Slightly better HUD  (Read 4404 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
[RELEASE] Slightly better HUD
So, I've redone the graphics for some of the HUD elements that were using retail files. I believe it is a bit of an improuvement over the retail assets, so I'm sharing it. It doesn't require any table changes, you can just put the vp file in your MediaVPS folder.
The arcs are curved now, the gradient on the ETS and the energy and afterburner levels are smoother. The missile and targetting indicators, radar and arcs are a bit sharper.
Current mediavps on the left, this file on the right:

I feel the difference is more noticeable in-game, but test it yourselves! Download from Mediafire.

You can use and modify these as you see fit.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: [RELEASE] Slightly better HUD
plz2commit to 00_testing
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
plz2commit to 00_testing
Already done that. A week ago.  :)

Oh, looks neat :yes:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I always thought the angular look was intentional, though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I'm not sure about it.
On the one hand, the one we have is polygonal. But on the other hand, I think the HUD was a bit rushed . For example, some of the filenames refer the position of the elements on FS1 (there are some unused files on sparky_hi_fs2.vp from the FS1 HUD). On the tables, some element names are inverted. Also, there was no attempt to use dithering to smooth the gradients.
I don't know, maybe the tools they had were not really good. Maybe we're just too used to the old style.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I just tried these out on FSBlue; very nice!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.