Author Topic: FS2_Open Linux Mini Howto  (Read 67964 times)

FS2_Open Linux Discussion
Code: [Select]
if g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"fs2_open\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"fs2_open\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"3.5\" \
-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"fs2_open\ 3.5\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DNO_CD_CHECK=1 -DNO_NETWORK=1 -DNO_STANDALONE=1 \
-DMORE_SPECIES=1 -DNO_SOFTWARE_RENDERING=1 -DNDEBUG=1  -I. -I.    -fexceptions -I/c/dx8/include -Wno-missing-braces -Wno-multichar \
-Wno-deprecated -fsigned-char -DNO_DIRECT3D -DUSE_OPENGL -g -O2 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -MT freespace.o -MD -MP -MF \
".deps/freespace.Tpo" \
  -c -o freespace.o `test -f 'freespace2/freespace.cpp' || echo './'`freespace2/freespace.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/freespace.Tpo" ".deps/freespace.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/freespace.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function `int game_hacked_data()':
freespace2/freespace.cpp:9547: `ml_printf' undeclared (first use this function)
freespace2/freespace.cpp:9547: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
   once for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [freespace.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/atalhlla/freespace2-ppclinux-test/20040310/fs2_open/code'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
[atalhlla@localhost fs2_open]$

It keeps dying at this point...
config command was "./configure --disable-networking".  If I try compiling with networking, it dies on linking, complaining about some of the network things. (which is prolly cuz networking isn't working in build.)

Hope this isn't just me, although it might be good if it was...

~Atal
Mertakk monae ki ienikk du bellou zhello.
Kuek mertakk monae ienikk divakkou zhello.

What does it mean if the most fun you had all night was blowing up asteroids...?

"Its a Babylon Space 2 HercFury!" --mikhael on seeing my first fighter design.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Atalhlla: Well I had fixed the NO_NETWORK stuff before but never checked it again after a couple of cvs updates.  My fault.  I've got a couple more OpenGL fixes done so when I get done with the network swaps I'll go ahead and get that all fixed and get you a new build to try.

What are the errors that you get when building with network support?  That's something I  need to get fixed quickly so that the network swaps can get tested.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
taylor: game_hacked_data() is a multi function - make a version that just returns "0" if NO_NETWORK is defined

actually i think you may be able to just ifdef out the whole function
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Kazan: Yep, did that before.  Only for part of it though and I think there was a conflict with some of your newer stuff when I did a cvs update.  Obviously I didn't pay enough attention when dealing with the conflict and removed some of my changes.  I normally do a fresh configure and build before posting changes so I just need to make it a point to do that with and without networking support from now on.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I need someone to test this:

x86 only for now so if you've got PPC don't bother asking yet.  This includes DevIL support/libs and an unstripped binary so the download size is almost 10Meg.  I don't have a place that I can put this file for any real length of time so e-mail or PM me that you want to try it and I'll send you a temporary link.  If this works out for at least one person I'll put it in the "Recent Builds" topic.  This doesn't include the ability to install the game from the CD, it's only going to copy in the libs and binaries to play the game.  This also doesn't include the media VP at this time since I don't have the hosting space to do such a thing.  If there is a demand I'll try and get together a full installer that will install and update FS2 and include all files needed to run FS2_Open.

Some small but good bug fixes have been made.  No networking builds will work correctly now and I added a few fixes to avoid problems if you mix your use of network and non-network builds.  I did some small re-working of the save screen function so that when you pause the game or minimize it the screen won't turn black and also the mouse cursor save won't be distorted.  The ability to handle multiple color depths has been greatly simplified as well.  The major goal though is that both Windows and Linux binaries can be successfully built out of the same code tree for the first time.  This is a major step in getting it ready to put in CVS.

A new source release will happen once the binary release is proven to work outside of my computer.  I'm also going to release Win32 binaries at the same time to help verify some of the OpenGL fixes and to make sure that no new bugs are going to show up.

If i have root acces to a RedHat 9 machine, and FS2 installed on a dir on a mounted FAT drive, all i need to do is double click and read, right? If so, sent me the link and i'll put the file up on another FTP.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

crap

i ran the executable, but had some issues. it installed ok, but i didn;t read the scree completely. anyway, when i clicked ok, it did some more stuff in the command line, then it fubared my screen settings, and gave me a CTD. i hit ctrl+alt+del and re-logged in. resolution was back to normal, but i forgot what file to run, so i looked up the dir i installed it to (the one i filled in the top path box in the installer), dir being /mnt/d/freespace/scp/linux. i found a dir called FS2_open. i ran fs2_open, 1.1k large. it did the same to me as the last time.....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Try running fs2_open from a terminal window.  That should give you more detail into the problem.  Also, add -window to it and it shouldn't screw up your desktop.  It should have added a menu entry for FS2_Open as well so check that and if it didn't then I'll have to figure out why.

where can u download it?
HT

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
i.o is have less disk space problems since the last time I looked (only 92% full now) so I'll go ahead and post the link.  It may vanish at any time but I'll give warning first and have a new place for the files to go before that happens.

I've included some more libs that DevIL requires so hopefully that was all that kasperl was having trouble with.  Please list success for failures here so that I can get any problems fixed and if everything works then I'll add the Linux version to "RECENT SCP BUILDS".

fs2_open-3.56-20040324-x86.run

for me the splash screenshows and then exits with segmentation fault
HT

fcntl: Invalid argument
fcntl: Invalid argument
segmentation fault

after that mouse control is locked, and have to ctrl alt bckspace.
HT

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Damn.  Alright, I'm working on it.  It's worked on the two computers that I've tried it on but both of those were running Fedora.  I'm downloading Debian Woody now to install in VMware and do the binary builds there.  I'll update this post when I've got a new installer built and uploaded.

EDIT:  Try this one: fs2_open-3.5-20040326-x86.run
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:28:15 pm by 1252 »

nup no luck, i woulkdnt think differnt distros matterd, i was never able to get the source to compile past gropengl.
HT

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The distro switch was only to reduce the need for the newest libs, plus I've got some newer libs than what Fedora has by default.  Also I added Mesa6 libs to it so that you don't have to install them system wide to play the game and reduced the package size by at least half without removing anything.

HellToupee, what distro and version are you running?  I'd like to try and figure out why it's not working for you and get it properly fixed.

Oookay, I just FUBAR'd my X11... Whoops.  Unless I find something soon, I'll prolly just back up all the vital data and re-install (and perhaps try Debian or some-such.)

Cheers!
~Atal
Mertakk monae ki ienikk du bellou zhello.
Kuek mertakk monae ienikk divakkou zhello.

What does it mean if the most fun you had all night was blowing up asteroids...?

"Its a Babylon Space 2 HercFury!" --mikhael on seeing my first fighter design.

im running debian testing and a bit of unstable. Might it be the mesa stuff, i use nvidias drivers which wont work with mesa i think.
HT

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Strange.  I tried with debian unstable and it worked fine for me.  It will try to the system wide GL libs first (nvidia drivers) and if they don't support the needed functions then it will try the included Mesa drivers.  So basically it's only going to use the included Mesa libs if you have the default XFree86 GL libs and haven't installed nvidia's driver.  I'm going to make some changes to update to the CVS version of loki_setup and setup an update site for future use and release a new installer but that's not really going to help you any.

I've tried the installer on 5 different computers now and it's worked without incident every time.  I have no clue what the problem is.  Sacrifice a goat or something and try it again.  Also, try to build a binary yourself and replace the one from the installer and see if that works.  Make sure that you aren't using any commandline options either except for "-window -nograb" in case that's part of the problem.  Try it in gdb too.

could it be that my version is the free download rip one.
HT

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Could be as I've had mixed success with that version.  Putting the files in a VP would help some but if you could get the CD version then you'd be better off.  The various issues with file case are the biggest problem with the download version so a VP has helped a lot on my tests.  If you have a FAT partition on your hard drive you could try running the game from that as well.