Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 80883 times)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Whoaa! It's perfect! :yes:
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Axem

Link to Axem's?

I fail to understand while people create alternate versions of the same HTL models while MANY retail ships remain low-poly... :blah:

Yes link to Axem's please. I don't think I've seen that one before.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I only ever recall Axem having made an HTL Charybdis
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Is that one finished by the way?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't think its skinned, but IIRC the model was completed.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Axem

Indeed, the model's done and released to anyone who wanted to finish it.

If you want me to do it, I'll probably go "Ew." And try to remodel it. :p

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Indeed, the model's done and released to anyone who wanted to finish it.

If you want me to do it, I'll probably go "Ew." And try to remodel it. :p
I want you to do it then. :P
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:18:16 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
For the most part, it's really really nice! The big vertical brace on the front, though, needs an overhaul.

I'd suggest making the edges of that section open girders with cross-bracing, then having elevator tubes, ducts, and other mechanical paraphernalia inside. Sorta like I did with the Faustus, where the head joins the neck.

Something like this?

By brotherbryon at 2008-11-03

Link to Axem's?

I fail to understand while people create alternate versions of the same HTL models while MANY retail ships remain low-poly... :blah:

The only other HTL Hippocrates I remember was started by Stratcomm a couple of years ago. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think he ever got very far with it.

Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Hey, I really love this one. Only, I too think that the top bar shouldn't be cylindrical.
Oh, and are the holes in the brace big enough to fly a Ulysses through? :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
From a structural point of view, cylindrical makes more sense. I rathe like that it's just a liitl bit different.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Something like this?

[snip]

The technique is excellent... although, could you get the outside shape closer to the original geometry?

The only other HTL Hippocrates I remember was started by Stratcomm a couple of years ago. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think he ever got very far with it.

:nod: He really didn't get far with it at all, just a few blocky bits here and there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Will you please answer my question...
Sorry I needed to think about it for a little while. I think the thing I do the most is to carefully measure out of the length of my lines. Most the lines I draw run parallel to an axis (That's a big help). Its important that corresponding sides have the exact same length and are positioned at the exact same angle (Down to the centimeter) or you will need to use a diagonal to get a face. For larger sections I will often start with generic shape such as cube, carefully measure out the sections I want to keep and then delete the excess. Much as you would if you were working with a block of modeling clay. Hope this helps, if I get some time later maybe I can put a few photos together outlining the process.

From a structural point of view, cylindrical makes more sense. I rathe like that it's just a liitl bit different.

I agree and that is why I went with this route. Once I get the rest squared away I may make a rectangular version as well and then put it up to vote.

Oh, and are the holes in the brace big enough to fly a Ulysses through? :D

Sadly no, and they would look kind of funny if I did make them big enough.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:21:13 pm by BrotherBryon »

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Ok, I got the structure close to the original shape. Now the question is how much of it do I leave cut away or in other words how much do I make solid? So far I've the entire central pylon solid but the rest all open.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Not sure if it'll be of any use, but I've always really loved the side on concept art for the hippocrates. :)

Any chance you could try reshaping it to more closely follow that outline? Anyway, nice work so far. :)

As for the girder section - that's up to you really. As long as it looks like you'd be able to transport patients from one section to another it should be fine.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
How about a large armored panel on one side and exposed on the other.

By brotherbryon at 2008-11-06

I like the concept art but it would require a lot of work to make it look more like that now. I really like the head design, why didn't Violition go that way in the first place. After this one is done perhaps I can make a B variant resembling the concept art.

sure, let people decide. Problem with the concepts, many of them are too curvy to be any use.  :sigh:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I like the panel thingy, you can try attaching it to both heads, and It would also look more interesting if it didn't follow so closely the exposed side
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can we see it without that panel?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Galemp: Scroll up to reply 27.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys