Author Topic: Some questions regarding Tachyon  (Read 4613 times)

Some questions regarding Tachyon
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have a couple of questions regarding Tachyon.

(This is in chronological order).

1. I copied and pasted the .36r patch files over to the Tachyon folder.
2. I installed the Option 2 visual enhancements mod (using the instructions)
3. I then installed service bay 2.

Now for the questions...

I now have space.exe AND tachyon MP. Both seem to be the same? Is this normal? Do I need to go to MP in order to play multiplayer?

I run the game at 1920 x 1080 and I'm impressed that it works but the in-game server list looks horrible and I can hardly read the writing. Have you got an online server list that I can see in my browser?

My FPS seems to be locked at 50 fps (only happens in Tachyon) even despite changing the refresh rate and turning v-sync on/off.

(Forcing AA and AF seems to work in my drivers which I'm happy about. I wonder if the SMAA injector will work...)

I really want to combine Option 1 features with Option 2 features. Why is this not allowed and this there a way to do so?

If I want to install all the different mods for service bay 2, I have to make 3 different Tachyon installations right?

Are there any other cool mods/files that I can install to make the game even more awesome and have I done anything wrong?

Cheers,

Cam  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:53:18 am by JGZinv »

Re: Some questions regarding Tachyon
Oh and how do I run it in windowed mode?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hello and welcome to the Fringe!

I now have space.exe AND tachyon MP. Both seem to be the same? Is this normal? Do I need to go to MP in order to play multiplayer?

The TSB 2 setup the Tachyon MP shortcut, use that to directly launch the game instead of using Nova's standard launcher.

I run the game at 1920 x 1080 and I'm impressed that it works but the in-game server list looks horrible and I can hardly read the writing. Have you got an online server list that I can see in my browser?

Unfortunately no, we haven't come across any way of being able to adjust the browser resolution yet.

My FPS seems to be locked at 50 fps (only happens in Tachyon) even despite changing the refresh rate and turning v-sync on/off.

It's very likely that NovaLogic had put a hard-limit to 50fps, as they have done with other games.

I really want to combine Option 1 features with Option 2 features. Why is this not allowed and this there a way to do so?

I'll have to ask our project leader, JGZinv, about that, as he's the one who set up both the visual enhancements mod and Tachyon Service Bay 2.0.

If I want to install all the different mods for service bay 2, I have to make 3 different Tachyon installations right?

Sadly, yes. They have to be in separate folders, and start off with a version of T:TF with the .35R update.

Are there any other cool mods/files that I can install to make the game even more awesome and have I done anything wrong?

No, you haven't done anything wrong to my knowledge. :)

As far as more mods for T:TF, that's about all FringeSpace has to offer at the moment.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Hi, Sorry didn't hit this sooner but I've been pretty much bed ridden sick the whole weekend and got work tomorrow.
Z's been on the ball though and covered most of these already.

MP is just a shortcut to space.exe, If you install the other parts of TSB to separate folders you'll see you have one
for Base Wars and Arena, the specific mod only installs. It's a matter of convenience cause the original novalogic link
in you programs menu obviously can't run 3 separate installs.

The in game browser runs off an ancient copy of IE, the only possibility here is to install the ibrowse.dll patch which you should find here
in the General Fix It section thread.

This is most likely due to the Glide wrapper, nothing we can do about it.

(Forcing AA and AF seems to work in my drivers which I'm happy about. I wonder if the SMAA injector will work...)

I tried all the options, explained them in the readme which you've evidently already read. Nothing else appears to work
thanks to Tach's weird graphical implementation.

It's not allowed cause it'll cause all sorts of bugs and Tach will become unusable. Tried it, doesn't work. The reason why
is this really is a hack. So many people over the years made glide wrapper tools. Option 1 is one tool, Option 2 is another.
They have different features, and I asked the developers to support Tach and the development is dead now, so it's not happening.
I literally have tried every wrapper out there, these were the best of the group.

Yes, 3 separate folders, install to each. This is covered in the TSB readme.

There are other mods and map files out there, but they are from long ago and don't work with multiplayer.
A lot of the "good" stuff I combined together to make TSB. Polished it some to try and balance it, and I put it out there.
There's more maps, namely Sonic's and Slipsters sets, but they are basically unto their own.

Bottom line you can try the stuff, but you better have a separate plain 36R install for it. It'll either break or cause weird stuff
to happen with TSB. Most of the old files are not on our website as I didn't want people mixing and matching mod sets and
then me having to debug a small disaster every other day.

There are ways of making them compatible with TSB, at least in some cases, but it would require a lot of time and work to re-edit
the files. If that's something you want to spearhead as a project, I could set you up with the right files.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:56:18 am by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Thanks for the replies.  :D I'll download that dll file tomorrow.

Can I just ask, is the malware problem on the other site going to be cured (unless it already is cured) and is FringeSpace still in full swing? I've seen a recent Moddb update, but will it come out any time soon?  ;)

Offline JGZinv

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Here's the scoop.

Pretty much shadow z is working on the model extractor for tachyon and making progress there. I just came back from a game dev meeting at
the local hacker space and may have someone that might look into helping him. In the past I've asked for help with this to aid Z and didn't get anything,
I put a paid bounty on it, and nothing really got done. So now we're back to trying to find out side help again.

I myself am at a point where I've got very limited free time to work on the mod. I'm working 4 days about 14 hours a day. Of the 3 other days
I have a meeting, the tachyon game, two church functions, house cleaning, and am struggling to try and keep a roof overhead. I've got things in the works that
hopefully will soon tell me if I can exist my current employment and get something with less hours and more pay.

I've also been quite sick the last two weeks and am finally seeming to be mostly done with the cold.

Realistically, the other folks attached to our mod are either not active or missing or not contributing right now.

So bottom line is that we need additional help. I'm planning on posting some help wanted ads on Mod DB and other places tonight.

Now as to the site.

The website is an issue, one I'm getting tired of looking at. Dreamhost that hosts the site was attacked quite some time ago
and since they never put up adequate security, resulted in the script injections in about 8 locations around the site. As such
our whole domain FTP/SVN/site was blacklisted by a variety of places, namely Google.

Now I covered this with RK who owns all that. He doesn't have backups that go back far enough to fix it. So what we decided
to do was just replace the whole site with a blog type wordpress system. RK set up a template site for him and I to work on,
and I 1. don't know anything useful about wordpress blogs, 2. evidently RK hasn't worked on it, 3. I've not had the time.

So, right now I'm heavily considering exploring something like a blogspot blog and just point the fringespace address there.

There are a few things I have yet to update into our main build feature wise, we're also waiting for the newest SCP exe release to
get worked out and finally done before I go plugging new things into old holes. I'm also waiting for the Diaspora burst to sort of die down some
as well. We have tested some of Diaspora's features to see how they compared to what we have from some time ago.

So are we really very terribly slow... yes.  Are we dead, no.

Really this model extractor thing will solve a great many problems we've had since day 1. We should have done this to start with, except
we were given wrong information for about 3-4 years that said it wasn't even possible. So yes a lot of things are pinned on that, and that is why
Z is solely focused on that project. One of my projects is hopefully getting an internship that will teach me coding so I can do a lot more in various
areas, including this.

So there's the long and short of it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:17:17 pm by JGZinv »

Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to hear it's not dead. I wish you luck in finding help!

Can I just ask, I downloaded some stuff from that malware-ridden site. I've scanned my PC and it's fine, but it there a risk I've got some evil script running somewhere in my browser (Chome)?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to hear it's not dead. I wish you luck in finding help!

Can I just ask, I downloaded some stuff from that malware-ridden site. I've scanned my PC and it's fine, but it there a risk I've got some evil script running somewhere in my browser (Chome)?

No, as far as we know, the malicious scripts don't really do anything other than stare at visitors nastily. As long as your antivirus is up to date you should be fine.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline JGZinv

I walked around there for a long time and never got anything more than pop up errors.

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline JGZinv

Just as a "hey I did try.."

http://fringespacemod.blogspot.com/

Worked on that about an hour... and can't get half a dozen things to work so... may just go back to Wordpress.