Author Topic: Shivan introns  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What do these do exactly, how many types are there, and how do they work? I am nowhere near good enough to play on the harder difficulty levels where these appear on, and all I could gather from playing a couple of Vishnan missions on Hard using god mode is:

Hot swarm: extremely aggressive, enhanced turn rate, ludicrous rate of fire
Glare: SAAA bomber turrets (:shaking:)

I also encountered "cold swarm" and "cold chain" but didn't notice anything special about them.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I believe there are around 9 different introns; I don't think there's a comprehensive list of what they are or do anywhere outside the source code for the script that manages them.

Hot Swarm and Cold Swarm are all about ships getting more/less powerful depending on how many ships are still in the wing, although I can't remember which one is strongest with just 1 ship and which is weakest with just 1 ship.

I think Assassin cloaks and Blink makes microjumps; that's all I can even dimly remember, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hot Swarm is increasing capability with increasing numbers, Cold Swarm is increasing capability with decreasing numbers.

I am 95% sure.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A hot swarm heats up as you kill it, a cold swarm cools down as you kill it. If I remember correctly.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Huh.  I'd have gone with increasing pressure (numbers) is hotter, while decreasing pressure is colder.

C'est la vie.

Offline danilm

According to the BP Ships page on the wiki, entry for the Dragon:

Introns suggest that groups of Dragons may develop a number of swarm behaviors, including enhanced individual capability as swarm size degrades, i.e. hot swarm, or reduced individual capability as swarm size degrades, i.e. cold swarm. The berserker intron is not commonly encountered in Dragon specimens. Assassin introns may be present but results are inconclusive.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Wait, so playing on harder difficulties gives Shivans new abilities? I thought introns were just lore fluff. :shaking:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline QuakeIV

• test
They aren't, friend.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, **** me. You guys are evil. No wonder I had so much trouble on Hard mode in AoA.

Spoiler:
   1 HotSwarm - Increase AI as #Wing drops
      2 ColdSwarm - Decrease AI as #Wing drops
      Shoot particles at others on death

3 HotChain - Lead Strong, Else Weak
      4 ColdChain - Lead Weak, Else Strong
      Constant particle flow between lead and else

5 Assassin - Cloak
      Cloak effect

6 Blink - Teleports behind player if "distressed" (targetted, hostiles are close)
      Warp effect

7 Banshee - Proximity to player causes insanity
      Interface screwing

8 Leech - Drains energy when facing a targetted ship
      Subtle dark fade in/out

9 Glare - Swap beams in first bank
      It's got beams!

10 Standoff - Swaps all banks to Trebs, blinks away when "distressed".
      Emit black particles (its trying to hide)

11 Berserk - When below 50%, increase hull and weapons. On Death, keep alive with extra damage outputs. On capships, turn all turrets into beams and fire along turret normal (Type 4 beam i guess)
      Red particles shooting out in random directions
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axem

I was wondering when someone would start poking around the files. ;)

I should note that some introns don't work (like Berserk doesn't do anything right now), and the particle system I was playing with broke easy so all the particle related things are disabled.

So the NEM.NOW descriptions don't mention the Leech intron at all. And there are several that are mentioned that I don't see in Cobra's post.

Spoiler:
Armor, Bruiser, Camouflage, Judas, Picket, Scalar, Scrambler, Sleeper, Stealth, and Twin

I wonder what they do.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay, so what changes between Hard and Reality in relation to intron activation?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:29:15 pm by Cobra »