Author Topic: FRED2_OPEN CAMPAIGN MANAGER  (Read 1771 times)

FRED2_OPEN CAMPAIGN MANAGER
Opens in FRED2_OPEN, but does not see any missions (fso or retail Fred2 made).
Does not see the 4 missions I have already made in FRED2_OPEN or any new "untitled.fs2" test files, or any retail/mod missions.

Opens in Retail Fred2 and sees any/all missions.

FRED2_OPEN CM worked perfectly fine a few weeks ago, untouched since then.

Re-d/l'd FSO, no joy.

Halp?

BH
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:27:08 am by Bullhorn »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FRED2_OPEN CAMPAIGN MANAGER
Yeah, I recall having this issue when I started out and iirc it's pretty easily fixed - unfortunately I don't have my FSO install handy so I can't step you through it right now. But rest assured it's probably just a UI or file structure problem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Make sure the missions are saved to [yourmod]/data/missions, where [yourmod] is the mod you have active in FRED.

Yeah, I recall having this issue when I started out and iirc it's pretty easily fixed - unfortunately I don't have my FSO install handy so I can't step you through it right now. But rest assured it's probably just a UI or file structure problem.

How so?
This is the 'stable' 3.7.0 build, and it (FRED2_OPEN &the CM) was working fine a few weeks ago.
Nothing has changed - missions are still in data/missions. No new mods added. Using MVPs3612 as mod.
I didn't reinstall FSO until this issue appeared.

BH

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think you answered your own questions there. Move the missions you're trying to select to mediavps_3612/data/missions.

The reason I said that this was probably a UI or file structure issue was to assure you that you didn't need to worry about your FSO version number or any software bugs.

e: it's also possible I'm completely off about what's causing the issue, mind; until I'm actually sitting at an FSO install looking at FRED I can't really give you good advice. But try it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:39:01 am by General Battuta »

I think you answered your own questions there. Move the missions you're trying to select to mediavps_3612/data/missions.

The reason I said that this was probably a UI or file structure issue was to assure you that you didn't need to worry about your FSO version number or any software bugs.

e: it's also possible I'm completely off about what's causing the issue, mind; until I'm actually sitting at an FSO install looking at FRED I can't really give you good advice. But try it!

But...the missions have ALWAYS been in freespace2/data/missions.
They were there when the CM was working fine, and nothing changed.
If the CM was only able to see them from within the MVPs folder structure then Fred2_Open as whole would not have been able to see them - but it is, I can work on the missions fine from the retail folder, just not see them in the CM.

Moved as suggested, no luck.
Resetting.

BH

ps. Bu thank you for the suggestions :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If the CM was only able to see them from within the MVPs folder structure then Fred2_Open as whole would not have been able to see them - but it is, I can work on the missions fine from the retail folder, just not see them in the CM.

I don't think this is true - the campaign manager and the FRED2 'open' dialogue don't have the same restrictions at all.

Moved as suggested, no luck.
Resetting.

Odd. Can you run a debug version of FRED2 Open and post your FRED2_open.log? (I may still be barking up the totally wrong tree here...)

What do you mean by 'resetting'?

I want it to be 100% clear - FRED inherits its 'mod' setting from the launcher, so if you've changed your mod in the launcher to play it in FreeSpace, it'll also change the mod in FRED. Not sure if that's part of the issue. You've said that it was working before and then it stopped, and this could be one reason why.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:57:03 am by General Battuta »

cool, will do.
resetting, as in placing my missions back into the default data/missions location.

bh