Author Topic: Freespace 2 Open has stopped working  (Read 2799 times)

Freespace 2 Open has stopped working
All of a sudden I am getting this error when I quit the game. Here is the View problems details

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   fs2_open_3_7_4-DEBUG.exe
  Application Version:   3.7.4.41152
  Application Timestamp:   577aad02
  Fault Module Name:   fs2_open_3_7_4-DEBUG.exe
  Fault Module Version:   3.7.4.41152
  Fault Module Timestamp:   577aad02
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   00a18690
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Attached is the log file.  Any ideas?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Re: Freespace 2 Open has stopped working
I just tried the latest nightly build and I got no errors on ext when using the 64bit version.

I also tried Blue Planet Complete and it seemed to run (at least what I did test out)

I tried the latest Cardinal Spear and it would not load with the nightly build.  It seems that none of the FSPort campaigns work with 3.7.5

Is this true? How do we know what version to use with what MOD?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I tried the latest Cardinal Spear and it would not load with the nightly build.  It seems that none of the FSPort campaigns work with 3.7.5
FSPort doesn't give me any problems in 3.7.5; what error are you getting?

Is this true? How do we know what version to use with what MOD?
The whole point of maintaining backwards compatibility is so that the only version of FSO you should ever need is the latest one. Nightly builds are usually an exception to that rule because they're by nature unstable and do not guarantee that any features that they add will still be in the stable release based off of them (or that even if they stay, that they'll still be in the same form by the time we reach a stable release); on the other hand, we're currently in a feature freeze, so the probability of any features in nightly builds going away at this point are exceedingly low, so it should be relatively safe to think of them, at this point, as very early release-candidates for FSO 3.8, so we really would prefer that people use them and report any problems they encounter (so we can fix them before the actual release-candidate phase starts).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
No problems here with FSPort or either recent FSPort campaign in various 3.7.5 builds....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Check out which version of FSPort are you using, I think the latest is 3.5. I don't remember if it utilises 3612 MediaVPs, but you should be easily able to change mediavps3612 to mediavps2014 in your mod.ini for FSPort, FSPort-mediavps and ST:R and use a FSPort Mediavps2014 compatibility patch. Gotta admit that it should work under 3.7.5 nightlies.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Ok last night I deleted most of my game folder and then told the installer to download everything (and overwrite any). I then went and got the latest 64 bit nightly build. I started with FS2 Open  (first checking the mod.ini file) and tested it. It ran fine and no errors on exit. I then switched to Silent Threat: Reborn v1.4 (checked the mod.ini file) and ran it. I did get an error when I use Select in the Campaign room. It told me that Freespace 2 Open has stopped working. Funny part was when I restarted the game I just ran the campaign it ran fine and no errors on exit.  It seems the only time I get that error is on FSPort campaigns and only when I go to select them in the campaign room. I tested a couple more and the same results.

Here is the error

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   fs2_open_3_7_5_20170218_82d8f5d_x64_SSE2.exe
  Application Version:   3.7.5.50666
  Application Timestamp:   58a8012d
  Fault Module Name:   fs2_open_3_7_5_20170218_82d8f5d_x64_SSE2.exe
  Fault Module Version:   3.7.5.50666
  Fault Module Timestamp:   58a8012d
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   0000000000245406
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   3260
  Additional Information 2:   32603300e5559b9ca89b6d5dcbb302e5
  Additional Information 3:   cb13
  Additional Information 4:   cb1313b9d14076fe4671a3d4c4fec5f5

And log file

They all seem to run fine including Blue Planet Complete.

I didn't play long in any one campaign as I was just looking for crashes on start and exit.  I have to say the ones I loaded sure look sweet.

What is this? :confused:
Code: [Select]
  -mod fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps_2014,fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps_2014

My bad.... ran it again with the debug  EXE and this is the Current command line for STR

K:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_7_5_20170218_82d8f5d_x64_SSE2.exe -mod fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps_2014

Here is the mod.ini that came with it (fresh download last night)

[launcher]
modname      = Silent Threat: Reborn v1.4 - MediaVPs 2014;
image255x112 = fsport-str.bmp;
infotext     = As the Great War rages on, you've been commissioned by Galactic Terran Intelligence for special intelligence operations.  Your objectives are to contain the Shivan onslaught and preserve the fragile Terran-Vasudan alliance.  But a series of suspicious events cloud the GTI's spotless record.  Is the GTI setting you up or are the Shivans spreading their evil rage?;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/str/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=140.0;

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps_2014;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_2014;

I didn't run the debug version so I tried that again and it crashes on start. 

Here is the log file

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
My bad.... ran it again with the debug  EXE and this is the Current command line for STR

K:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_7_5_20170218_82d8f5d_x64_SSE2.exe -mod fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps_2014
Okay, but why are you manually adding -mod to the command line? That just makes FSO see it twice (once from the launcher settings written to cmdline_fso.cfg and once from manually supplying it to the command-line), resulting in this:
Code: [Select]
-mod fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps_2014,fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport-str,fsport,me
Which I can virtually guarantee is causing problems.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I am not adding anything. That is what wxLauncher shows when I select Silent Threat: Reborn v1.4 on the MOD tab. No options are checked off on the advance tab and that is what the command line shows.

I upgraded wxLauncher to wxlauncher-0.12.0-rc.2.exe and all the errors seemed to have gone away. I was using the one downloaded from the Installer

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I upgraded wxLauncher to wxlauncher-0.12.0-rc.2.exe and all the errors seemed to have gone away. I was using the one downloaded from the Installer
Ah. See, the version of wxLauncher on the installer (0.10.1) is the last stable release, and is meant to be used with the last stable release of FSO, which is the version of FSO on the installer (3.7.4). If you want to use an unstable version of FSO (3.7.5), you need to use a similarly updated version of wxLauncher (in this case 0.12, but 0.11 is when the functionality was added) which accounts for the new way settings get saved.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so