Author Topic: Everspace  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Mikes

So despite my earlier doubts I went ahead and grabbed Everspace (https://everspace-game.com/) off Steam and boy .... have i been positively surprised.  :nod: :D

The roguelite nature makes this a much different game than Rockfish s earlier ones and different in this case means damn good.

Oh and it has story ... a quite delightful one at that.

Anyone else playing yet?

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I've had a passing interest, what's the tone of the game?
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mikes

I've had a passing interest, what's the tone of the game?

Not a "simulation" if you mean that, but a straight up action game mixed up with rogue elements and equipment upgrades (that you lose once you die and you will die) as well as some persistent stat upgrades that you can make.

What i do really like is how the rogue nature keeps you on your toes  .... or makes you make a mad dash for the next sector etc. Didn't see something like that in a space shooter yet.

Perfect playthrough from start to finish takes about 2 hours, but it takes a LOT longer to make that first perfect run. Also there is a really neat twist to the story that makes you want to come back for more after finishing it for the first time. ;-)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Sounds pretty cool. I was asking more about the story's tone (if it even has much of one).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I was going to get this then heard that proper joystick support is coming in a patch, so I'll hold off for that.

Offline Mikes

Sounds pretty cool. I was asking more about the story's tone (if it even has much of one).

Mhhh wondering how to put that without spoiling to much. But I ll probably go with "mysterious" and "inevitavble".

You start as a guy without memory (oh yeah how original lol) and you keep getting flashbacks as the story progresses ... still, I found the reveal to be quite neat after finishing the first time. And then it appears you can continue a bit further as well for another ending, although i m not that far yet.

I was going to get this then heard that proper joystick support is coming in a patch, so I'll hold off for that.

Can of course do that, although mouse controls work really well the way they are implemented. It even says when you start it up that the game was designed with mouse/kb in mind (although you can already use a gamepad as well.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:09:17 am by Mikes »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah I get that it's probably a step down in terms of efficiency/accuracy, but flying games are just More Fun with a stick than without. :) Especially if you can do full analog 6DOF.

Offline Mikes

Well it's definitely 6DOF.

And i get a strong FTL vibe from it. That probably describes it best: Sort of a cross between a FTL like game and 6DOF space combat sim.

Anyways, I'm having a blast, even when I'm being blasted out of the sky.

On life 23 now lol. Yeah it counts your ships and even gives the pilots callsigns ... and then later you can even come across your earlier ships remains and loot them for a few extra resources lol. ;-)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:04:46 pm by Mikes »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Yeah I get that it's probably a step down in terms of efficiency/accuracy, but flying games are just More Fun with a stick than without. :) Especially if you can do full analog 6DOF.

Yeah, I've been playing Descent with my HOTAS every once in a while and to me it's much more fun this way.
I'm using DX-rebirth, had I known about this thing at the time I would have bought the entire series on GOG.com before it was pulled out.  :banghead:
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
They added HOTAS support in the new update, for now I've put it in my wishlist on GOG.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

They also added TrackIR support. They have some issues with certain joysticks but they are working on the problem.

Here it is running on my simpit

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Here it is running on my simpit

That setup makes me drool...