Author Topic: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 6 (17/11/12)  (Read 44844 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 5 (30/07/12)
Just copy coordinates from PCS2 into the tables (and flip their x-values because whoever designed the coordinate system of one of them is retarded I won't point fingers).
This is one of the most annoying things about maneuvering thrusters. Tell me how you'd do this 80 times without going crazy. Regardless, this won't be done in tables anyway.
I don't know what mouse you're using, but I prefer clicking to typing a row of numbers you can't even copypaste.

I don't know what keyboard you're using if you can't copy paste and delete a negative sign....but hey.
Also I did do that for the persistent trails for all fighters in DE (copy the thruster point coord, paste into table, change :'s to spaces...really. easy.)

But whatever this is a moot point.

reason being that only this setup can support multiple ships with the same model but different glowpoint configurations without duplicating models. And we think that having different configurations for the same model is a feature we would like to have.
This is cool
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you're stuck using the keyboard, it's best to quickly pick up all appropriate shortcuts.  To whit,

Shift + arrow keys = select one char at a time
Shift + Ctrl + arrow keys = select one word at a time (it uses spaces to detect words, so not always useful)
Shift + End / Shift + Home = select from cursor position to end of current line or beginning of current line
Ctrl + arrow keys = move cursor one word at a time
End / Home = move cursor to end of line / beginning of line
Ctrl + Backspace / Ctrl + Del = delete entire word before / after cursor position
Click + hold Shift + Click = select from first click thru second click
Ctrl + Click = select / deselect individual entries (can be used for great win in combination with Shift-clicking, e.g., I want from here thru here except these two)
Ctrl + X, C, V = Cut, Copy, or Paste the currently selected items
Alt+Spacebar = bring up program menu in the top left (yeah the one that you used to be able to get in Windows 3.1 by clicking the - sign on the top left)
Alt+Spacebar+M = select the move option from the program menu, allowing you to then use the arrow keys (or mouse) to place your window on the screen.  Especially useful if your program opened up off-screen for whatever reason.
Alt+F = File menu.  add S to save, A to save as, C to close, O to open
Alt+E or V, etc.. opens Edit, View, etc...

Note that I typed all of that up from memory, and there's a million other shortcuts out there, many of which I regularly use without thinking.  The only thing the mouse can do that comes close is gestures, and that's only just beginning to be widely supported IIRC... except the Macs may have had it for a while.  But it still can't touch a keyboard, only add to the keyboard's awesomeness.

Not that I'm disputing that this is still a PITA, but with shortcuts it's a rather manageable pain in the ass...

For example, I once had to save a few hundred .TIFF clipart files on an old system 8 or 9 Mac as a different type of TIFF that was compatible with the MS software my dad was using.  I wasn't aware of any batch method of doing this, so I did it all by hand.  It took me between half an hour to an hour, but it probably would have taken an average user the better part of a day.  Why?  Keyboard shortcuts.  Alt+F+O, down arrow to next file, enter, Alt+F+A, press the appropriate combo to change filetype (I believe Alt+T, down arrow), then Alt+A, home, to add a prefix to the filename (new_ or somesuch), press enter, rinse, repeat.

After the first 20 or so, you begin to take ~3 seconds max to get this done, as you've developed a routine.  You could probably go faster, but you do need to be sure not to make mistakes whilst processing.

The same approach, when taken with editing tedious text-based config files, will cut down your workload immensely.  Although it will still be a PITA.  :ick:

I'm assuming the reason you still wish for mouse control is that there's no way to have a live preview of the changes you are making, and no way to precisely place an object where you want it by simply giving raw coordinates, unless you're just a genius, or copying from something else that's in approximately the same location as the object that you are placing.

Any way to edit the appropriate table files from within a preview application in a notepad-esque window?  i.e., open the file, see the model and everything on it, decide you want to edit the glowpoints, tell the app to do so, get a notepad window, and fudge with the numbers, whilst getting a live output?  How about the ability to copy a coord to the clipboard when clicked by the mouse?  You'd need a way to orient which way the coord is "facing" so to speak, but that'd be a charm..

Pipe dream?  Yeah, I figured.  :doubt:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't know what keyboard you're using if you can't copy paste and delete a negative sign....but hey.
Also I did do that for the persistent trails for all fighters in DE (copy the thruster point coord, paste into table, change :'s to spaces...really. easy.)
It's not that I can't do it (it's the only way of precisely positioning maneuvering thrusters), but compared to doing everything in the POF, it's unnecessarily lengthy. Once again, the task in itself is not an issue, the problem is the number of times you need to do it. 5-6 times for thrusters is perfectly fine, but if you make very complex glowpoint schemes, you're going to be placing at least 50 of them. Can you imagine copypasting 50 sets of coords into a table? And you still need to click to switch between programs and select the place where to paste the coords. And replace colons with commas. This all adds up. I've done a task on similar (though smaller, in 20s) scale, with the aforementioned tabled thrusters (I thought it was worth it until Steve-O started remaking his fighters...), so I know.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What in the actual hell.

no one said you'd have to place your glow points via coords in a table. the table is just for defining what your glow point does... unless I've missed something somewhere.

so relax please.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well I was saying how I wouldn't mind doing that at all.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Will there be option to make particular glowpoints use whiteout effect? Some strong lights sources should have it.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh please not. Models are there to be seen, not to white out the screen.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
If you don't know how to use such a feature, yes, this is probably what you'd get. With proper controlling options this would give a nice and realistic effect.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
REALISM ? IN MAH FREESPACE ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you don't know how to use such a feature, yes, this is probably what you'd get. With proper controlling options this would give a nice and realistic effect.

As I see it, there are ways to use this properly, mostly in cinematics. And in those cases, what you really need is scripting, and for scripting to have access to the new lighting system. I don't see how this would be anything but a nuisance during actual gameplay.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
AND LENSFLARES DONT FORGET LENSFLARES
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity

Hey, a good lens flare effect for beam cannons would be pretty cool, as would a fake HDR effect that darkens everything but the beam when you're close to it.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs

Hey, a good lens flare effect for beam cannons would be pretty cool, as would a fake HDR effect that darkens everything but the beam when you're close to it.

Agreed!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then get to coding.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Too busy making my own game that doesn't involve codethulu.  Sorry, I'll leave the code equivalent of the ninth circle of hell to you guys.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
too bad everyone keeps turning down proper lens flare support because they are afraid it might be misused.... /stupid argument
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Valathil

if you can get me the way how they do those new fancy camera convolution kernel lensflares like they doing in cryengine3 and unrealengine4 we could talk about that i think.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Leave it to the wizard  ;7
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
if you can get me the way how they do those new fancy camera convolution kernel lensflares like they doing in cryengine3 and unrealengine4 we could talk about that i think.

Here you go.  It's not actually new, but it's really hard on older GPUs so it wasn't ever implemented until now.  Anything lower than a 9800GTX categorically can't handle it at a playable framerate.

http://nae-lab.org/~kaki/paper/PG2004/Kakimoto2004GlarePresen.pdf
http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/TemporalGlare.pdf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:57:53 am by Dark RevenantX »

Offline Valathil

Thats a prestep of i what was talking about but is still based on single lightsources being the source of the flares. I'm talking about the new screenspace **** where you get multipath reflections in the camera lens and prisms.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃