Author Topic: $Warp speed  (Read 2898 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Anyone mind if I changed it to $Warp time?
-C

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
what would the difference be?

if i understand it correctly, it might screw up the crazy starwars style jumps someone was doing..... i have the .avi file of it on my comp.....
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I am a little concernced, as TBP has plans to impliment this, as soon as vortex rendering can be disabled selectively, and we'll need to be able to select what speed ships will warp at, so they can jump in/out as a group.  I suppose that this inquiry is related to BTRL and its special warping needs.  WMC, I've posted a response over at game-warden you may want to take a look at.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Wing Commander Saga will need this feature too, so please don't mess with it :) Technically we need this pretty high speed for interplanetar travelling and I want to have my capital ships jump into the area that way.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Is this really a huge problem though?  The TBP concern is legitimate enough I guess, but it should be a relatively straightforward transition.  Unless there's a huge code complication on the speed, of course.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
the thing is that $warp speed, if speed is set really high, will allow you to cross HUGE distances without warping out. As $warp time would not (as far as i can tell) cause the ship to speed up to a value, it would remove this capability.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just put them both in.  Combining $warp speed with $warp time, allows one to control the warp accelleration.

Offline WMCoolmon

In the current form, $Warp speed is just converted to time and the ship should take roughly the same distance to warp in regardless of the value. Unless you change the size of the ship. So to add both, I'd still have to change the effect of $Warp speed.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So, with the current system, if I want a ship to accelerate to 300 m/s to warp at, I put in that numeric figure, but the game translates that into a time figure, telling it how long it should accelerate for before warping?  Assuming that's true, if I want the same result, wouldn't that mean that under the $warp time system, I have to calculate the time figure to input, based on... what, the acceleration figure in the ships table file and the intended warping speed of 300 m/s?

Offline WMCoolmon

distance = rate * time
time = distance / rate

warpout time = ship length / speed you want it to go at

I've added the $Warpout time (after $Warpout speed) value, so you might be able to use both warpout speed and time. I didn't go through and check though.

$Warpout time is also now used for the BSG warp effect, time is also in seconds.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool.  If both work together, it might go better to allowing ships for TBP to warp in/out as a group, all at the same speed and acceleration, regardless of the various ship lengths.