Author Topic: FS2 Open stability issues on Windows 10  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
FS2 Open stability issues on Windows 10
I've been using the recent AVX FSO nightly revision builds. At some point after using FRED2 builds or leaving my Windows 10 PC for long, when I tried to press "commit" after a briefing screen as my mission with over 150 ships, my PC crashes and a Blue Screen of Death appears. Its BSOD messages somewhat range from "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" to "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". This is really frustrating.

I do not plan to revert my PC back to Windows 7, as I'm waiting for the Windows 10 Threshold 2 update, followed by Redstone updates that I hope will partly solve this problem.

I hope I am not the only one who encountered this, as others may have this kind of problem.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:20:24 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline m!m

Re: BSOD issues with recent FSO builds on Windows 10
A BSOD typically indicates either faulty hardware or a bug in a device driver so it's nothing FSO can cause directly. Given that it apparently happens consistently when executing a specific action it's likely that FSO somehow uses that specific part of the driver or the hardware (I guess it's the video driver).

Please describe what you have to do to trigger the BSOD, that should help identify which part of FSO is responsible. Ideally run a debug build and generate a log file.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I ran FSO release build, then loaded up a mission, and pressed the commit button. After a few moments of a gameplay, then a BSOD appeared. This problem seems to be occurring frequently, even with TTS speech disabled.

When I ran a debug build, I repeated this above, but no BSOD appeared. Instead, a game crash happened, with a message saying that FreeSpace Open has "stopped working".

Enclosed is the fs2_open.log file and a zip containing the memory dumps created when I got the BSOD while running the FSO release build. Please note the abrupt end of the former.

BTW, you might want to check how to open DMP memory dump files in the attached zip file.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Let's try something simple before looking at memory dumps, can you try removing -mipmap from the command line parameters? I'm sure I've seen issues caused by using that option, and all mediavp textures should have builtin mipmaps these days.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
OK, I've ran something simple, with -mipmaps command line disabled. Naturally, it worked in some cases.

However, when I ran big with a debug build and without a -mipmaps command line, BSOD ALWAYS happens, saying that there is a DPC Watchdog violation.

The FSO log file came up empty.

Enclosed once again is the latest memory dump.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some searching the internet suggests things like updating the firmware of the hard drive if an SSD is in use.  Not suggesting that you do that right now, but lots of things pointing towards hardware issues with Windows still backs up that maybe this isn't something we can fix on our end as much as workaround at best.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I did not use an SSD. Hardware issues, such as drivers, I think it's necessary to update them.

However, FSO (and, to an extent, FRED2_OPEN) being crashing more often on Windows 10, not only an application level, but also the system level (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD). This is really a setback for not only me, but also others.

FYI, I've made opened an issue on GitHub's FSO page.

Edit: I've forgot to mention about the solution to the BSOD problem at Windows 10 Insider. Apparently, Microsoft's Windows Insider team is working hard to fix this problem. It is wise to implement a temporary solution to solve the issue: just disable the Shutdown settings (Turn on fast startup, Sleep, and Hibernate).  This will resolve the BSOD issue.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:56:31 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If this is a Windows system issue, it's out of our hands. There's not much we can do about those.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Indeed, it's a Windows issue. The E and chief1983 are right, as there's nothing you can do, except implement a temporary solution which is to disable shutdown settings in Windows 10 - Turn on Hibernate, Fast Startup and Sleep. This seems working for me... When I have time, I'll put these memory dumps on a Microsoft site...

But FSO's been crashing without an assertion. I've opened a GitHub issue here: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/372

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Re: FS2 Open stability issues on Windows 10
Okay, I got my first taste of debugging using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. During my tests on Windows 10, when I got into a CTD bug or error/asset message or something like that, I've found something that could be the cause of the crashing.

Code: [Select]
ntdll.dll!77d95635() Unknown
 [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]
 [External Code]
>fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!AudioStream::ServiceBuffer() Line 1310 C++
 fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!AudioStream::TimerCallback(unsigned int dwUser) Line 1491 C++
 fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!Timer::TimeProc(unsigned int uID, unsigned int uMsg, unsigned long dwUser, unsigned long dw1, unsigned long dw2) Line 363 C++
 [External Code]

In addition to Audio Stream, there is another one at the wmcgui.cpp file, particularly the GUIObject::DeleteChildren function with a while loop containing a statement with a GET_NEXT function and a preceding pointer casting statement.

BTW, I've changed it to "FS2 Open stability issues on Windows 10" because I'm testing FS2 Open for the newly released OS.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FS2 Open stability issues on Windows 10
Okay, I got my first taste of debugging using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. During my tests on Windows 10, when I got into a CTD bug or error/asset message or something like that, I've found something that could be the cause of the crashing.

Code: [Select]
ntdll.dll!77d95635() Unknown
 [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]
 [External Code]
>fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!AudioStream::ServiceBuffer() Line 1310 C++
 fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!AudioStream::TimerCallback(unsigned int dwUser) Line 1491 C++
 fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX-DEBUG.exe!Timer::TimeProc(unsigned int uID, unsigned int uMsg, unsigned long dwUser, unsigned long dw1, unsigned long dw2) Line 363 C++
 [External Code]

That line in particular just declares a mutex, nothing especially crash-prone there. Now, it could be that your audio driver is crashing, but there's no way to tell from here.

In addition to Audio Stream, there is another one at the wmcgui.cpp file, particularly the GUIObject::DeleteChildren function with a while loop containing a statement with a GET_NEXT function and a preceding pointer casting statement.

This is also a pretty safe operation in this context.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns