Author Topic: Release post template  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I was typing stuff and it has been made pretty much obsolete by all the new posts. So lemme just scrap all of it, except for:

Let me just reinstate that:
Second, it has always been the policy of the SCP to provide any builds that coders are willing to compile and support.  Your position is no more tenable than if you were complaining about providing support to OSX or Linux users.
Has at no point ever been anyone's position in this thread. You really need to read these things more carefully.

Alright, let's take a step back and go from a fresh base.

1) Noone is talking about dropping the compatibility builds as long as someone is willing to compile them. We have literaly no reason to not give access to any form of content that someone is willing to provide, however marginally useful that content may be.

2) Those compatibility builds do cater to the need of a very minimal minority of players, and currently do needlessly clutter the main release thread.

As a consequence from 1 and 2, those builds can and should be relocated and the main release post should be reformatted.

Remember the release thread is a thread, and therefore can and should be composed of multiple posts. First post should be clear, concise, and comport one link to each supported platform and possibly the launcher(s). Everything else can go in later posts or separate threads, in decreasing order of importance.
This post, is what the position is.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FYI - here be the code that creates said release post, see "sub post" at the bottom of the page (afaik, chief1983 correct me if I'm wrong!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Nope, that's the latest version all right.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Now, as to simplifying it, if there was a 'click to see more' tag in our forum, I could easily simplify the Windows download build section as many other projects do.  But, our spoiler tag just hides things and you have to highlight them to read, with no way to turn off the spoiler tag.  If we could modify the code behind the spoiler tag in our template a bit or provide an alternative tag (maybe there's one I'm forgetting already?), I could implement it in the template, by offering one default download link, and a small, collapsed 'more builds' section below it.

[hide]<long wall of text>[/hide]

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=20652.0

Scratch that, posted too soon, will post back with appropriate one when I find it.

EDIT2:  Here, just need to change the BBCode to something besides [spoiler] and the displayed text on the collapse button, if any.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3981
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:55:51 pm by jr2 »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly I think adding an entire mod just for this one little application seems rather superfluous.  Instead, like others have suggested, just put the more esoteric builds in their own separate post, and have a link in the opening post to it.  Problem solved with a bit of BBCode.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't mind the idea of a see more option though. It's not just this release thread that could be greatly simplified in this way. I'd love to do the same thing to the Diaspora release thread for instance. And it would be really cool whenever I do a FRED quiz as I could have the answers in the post but hidden (rather than simply spoilered which doesn't hide things like pictures etc.)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm with Karajorma: collapsible spoilers would be useful for other things than just SCP release posts. Let's not throw out adding a useful new tag to the forum's repertoire just because it would be an overkill solution to a single problem.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"An entire mod" is overstating things a bit.  The code at jr2's link is really quite simple to add.  Use [hidden][/hidden] or [hidden=some title][/hidden], like so:

Hidden Text: Show

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"An entire mod" is overstating things a bit.  The code at jr2's link is really quite simple to add.  Use [hidden][/hidden] or [hidden=some title][/hidden], like so:

Oooh, that autoplay is quite nice, too. How does it interact with hiding multiple videos?

Can you nest these tags? Wait, I can just try it...

Here we are.
Here we are again.

Apparently so.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well I stand corrected. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well played, Goober. Well played.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
"An entire mod" is overstating things a bit.  The code at jr2's link is really quite simple to add.  Use
or
Hidden Text: some title • Show
, like so:
I remember the board at least used to be able to do that and have wanted to know how to do it for ages, thanks. Do feel it would be handy especially for posts with massive amounts of text.

PS: Damn you :lol:.

Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can't hide a list.  Not the end of the world but if I wanted to collapse the list of known issues with this, I can't currently.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, I have simplified the release post quite a bit I think with this new tag.  Definitely makes the post more concise and 90+% of users probably won't need to expand anything to find what they want.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Pretty good but I think we can do even better.

http://pastebin.com/nXcLBesN

Notes:

- When did we start using 7Z format for Windows? That requires people to get 7-Zip, a substantial barrier for the average player who just wants to play. Consider using .zip. Then again, since many mods use .7z. maybe it's justifiable, since the average player might need 7-Zip anyway *shrug*.

- Even a computer-savvy player is not going to know how to use OpenAL Soft if just directed  to the OpenAL Soft site. We could have a download link to the latest .dll pre-renamed to OpenAL32.dll, with instructions on how to get it directly for those who want that. Unless issues with Creative's OpenAL are common, all of the OpenAL Soft stuff can go in hidden text IMO.

- The average player doesn't understand or care what compiler was used. You can put that in technical notes at the bottom if you think it's worth mentioning.

- Mentioning which versions of an OS are supported is very worthwhile. No need to mention that OS X  releases Intel, 10.6 dropped PowerPC support.

- Removing Linux from the main text of the post is a bit anti-Linux and to the casual reader will look like we don't support it. I'm okay with FreeBSD being left in the hidden  text though given that it's not one of the three primary platforms (sorry *BSD users). I wonder how many Linux users actually use the Linux build when most need to build from source anyway.

- Put known issues at the bottom. The average player is not going to read through Mantis to see if a bug applies to them. :)

- The hidden text's title text is a bit too subtle. I think we can leave it as is but maybe put a title over hidden text blocks in imporrtant cases, like I did with TrackIR.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The 2001 thing for SSE2 is a bit off.  Yes Intel introduced it in Pentium 4s in 2001, but there were many new PCs being sold after that time which did not have it yet.  No 32bit AMD CPU has it, since it was introduced in the Athlon64/Opteron lines in 2003.  Also many Pentium 3 core-based machines might have been sold after that as well.  Celeron and  the like specifically had a long shelf life.  Still more than ten years ago, but just pointing out that putting a date of '2001' in the post might not be the most accurate way to represent the use case for various builds.  I think we can assume that anyone who _does_ click the 'more builds' area is hopefully savvy enough to figure out which build they actually need with the information we already provide.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
- When did we start using 7Z format for Windows? That requires people to get 7-Zip, a substantial barrier for the average player who just wants to play. Consider using .zip. Then again, since many mods use .7z. maybe it's justifiable, since the average player might need 7-Zip anyway *shrug*.

This is surprisingly true. I have 3 examples of people off the top of my head (wife's younger brother-18yr, my nephew-14yr, friend from college-27yr), all gave up installing FS and Mods until they talked to me because they didn't know what a .7z file was or didn't understand why they needed an extra program to "install the installer". My nephew was unable to do anything because he didn't have the computer permissions  on his Windows account to install 7z. If the other mod creators are like me.. they just use 7z because that's what it seems all of HLP uses. I know it has better compression... meh I was never really sure the gain was worth the effort.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I was doing release builds specifically in zip for this reason though, in fact I'm not sure when I switched release builds over to 7z...might have been during one of my cutovers to the automated script or something.  Or when the installer itself was able to extract 7zip files.  Really, people who don't have 7zip probably shouldn't be downloading builds manually but using the installer, so I guess this wasn't ever something I was too worried about.  Also why I probably never took too much concern for the overall layout of the release post itself.  It wasn't really ever intended for the casual first time user in the post-installer universe.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The 2001 thing for SSE2 is a bit off.  Yes Intel introduced it in Pentium 4s in 2001, but there were many new PCs being sold after that time which did not have it yet.  No 32bit AMD CPU has it, since it was introduced in the Athlon64/Opteron lines in 2003.  Also many Pentium 3 core-based machines might have been sold after that as well.  Celeron and  the like specifically had a long shelf life.  Still more than ten years ago, but just pointing out that putting a date of '2001' in the post might not be the most accurate way to represent the use case for various builds.  I think we can assume that anyone who _does_ click the 'more builds' area is hopefully savvy enough to figure out which build they actually need with the information we already provide.

2001 was a half-educated guess. If there's some concise jargon-free way to characterize the pre-SSE2 builds, use that. By "information we already provide" do you mean the information in the hidden text? "More builds" is pretty vague. People won't know whether to click on it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
- Removing Linux from the main text of the post is a bit anti-Linux and to the casual reader will look like we don't support it. I'm okay with FreeBSD being left in the hidden  text though given that it's not one of the three primary platforms (sorry *BSD users). I wonder how many Linux users actually use the Linux build when most need to build from source anyway.

I also vote for having Linux releases non-hidden.  There have been a number of people drop by HLP to request help with using the provided Linux builds, that's why I've got the "32-bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu" link in my sig - that's only needed for people with a 64bit OS using the release (or nightly) thread provided 32bit builds.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...