Author Topic: FS2 Open No Installer/Build Installed  (Read 3125 times)

FS2 Open No Installer/Build Installed
Well this has turned into a nightmare.

So I decided to reinstall FS2Open recently, and for once everything seemed to install...or so I thought. There was no Launcher.exe when I looked though the installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freespace 2). Which is odd. So I looked around and found wxLauncher, and after installing it, it found it couldn't find any builds for FSOpen.

I then manually downloaded the Windows files for this thread, however not only does wxLauncher not find them, but attempting to use the shortcuts to launch FSOpen results in a crash of the application (see Logs). Bizarrely, the regular Freespace 2 shortcut can now open Vanilla Freespace 2, but it has the "Insert Disk 2" error.

I'm not sure how I should fix this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: FS2 Open No Installer/Build Installed
Did you install the FS2 registry patch, or is that issue now fixed?  I know Steam builds of FS2 had to have a registry file applied manually when it first came out, I'm not sure if they ever bothered actually incorporating that fix into the install of just left it as-is.

Now that you mention it, I remember checking the Registry entry and clicking an item with "FS2" on it - it could be why I didn't get the "Freespace 2 cannot run from Route Directory!" error prompt and instead was able to directly load the application.

But no, I'm reinstalling the game again now, so hopefully this should fix things.

EDIT - Good news? The Launcher Icon is back. Bad news?

Code: [Select]
.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons.7z' could not be downloaded.
Derelict Voice Pack: The file 'Derelict_3_7_VA.7z' could not be downloaded.

Unsure why this is, but it happens often.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:49:03 pm by OutriderPilot »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Those aren't important, ignore.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Now that you mention it, I remember checking the Registry entry and clicking an item with "FS2" on it - it could be why I didn't get the "Freespace 2 cannot run from Route Directory!" error prompt and instead was able to directly load the application.

But no, I'm reinstalling the game again now, so hopefully this should fix things.

EDIT - Good news? The Launcher Icon is back. Bad news?

Code: [Select]
.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons.7z' could not be downloaded.
Derelict Voice Pack: The file 'Derelict_3_7_VA.7z' could not be downloaded.

Unsure why this is, but it happens often.
Those aren't important, ignore.

To be more specific, you already have the cutscenes from the Steam install AFAIK so you don't need the .ogg ones unless you're trying to save disk space (then you'd have to delete the .mve ones)
and, the 3d radar icons are just a skin for the radar that changesthe dots into ship class representations
and, Derelict is a 3rd party campaign

If you want any of the above, you can just re-run the installer and it will attempt to get those again (it will detect anything already installed).

To be more specific, you already have the cutscenes from the Steam install AFAIK so you don't need the .ogg ones unless you're trying to save disk space (then you'd have to delete the .mve ones)
and, the 3d radar icons are just a skin for the radar that changesthe dots into ship class representations
and, Derelict is a 3rd party campaign

If you want any of the above, you can just re-run the installer and it will attempt to get those again (it will detect anything already installed).

I've tried that, but for whatever reason they keep failing to download and install. It's not the first time something like this has happened, and usually it's completely random what it chooses to Install or fail to Install. I'm just lucky the Install so far is as complete as it was.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll try to verify those files are retrievable manually if no one else beats me to it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Heh, look what you find when you're trawling the forum for newsletter content :D

I've tested all three downloads using wget and they're OK at the moment.  Not sure if that means that there's a problem with your ISP service, or something else is wrong with the installer?  Repeatedly rerunning the installer with the same mods selected should not cause any issues, so rerun the installer and see if you can download the problem files?

http://freespacemods.net/files/installer_files/campaigns/Derelict_3_7_VA.7z
http://mvp.fsmods.net/2014/MV_RadarIcons.7z
http://www.freespacemods.net/e107_files/downloads/fs2_ogg.zip
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...