Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Road to 3.8  (Read 5096 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Road to 3.8
As you may have noticed if you've been following the activity on our github (or just have been keeping up with the nightly builds), there have been a lot of under the hood changes that went in late last year. The move to OpenGL core, SDL everywhere, integration of better video players, a new flag system and a massive reorganization of the way lua is integrated into the project, to name but a few.

Overall, these are all features that I feel make for a pretty compelling reason to call our next release 3.8, but releasing now would be foolish. As these changes are all fairly wide in scope, they've also been responsible for introducing quite a few bugs, and I feel like we need to spend at least a bit of time polishing things up.

To that end, beginning right now, the SCP will be entering into a code freeze. We will not be accepting pull requests for new features, and will concentrate on fixing the bugs currently present (no matter whether they're logged on github or the SCP Mantis). In order to sweeten this admittedly bitter pill, Goober has graciously offered to sponsor the following bounties:

For number of actual bugs fixed during this time period (not necessarily corresponding to issues closed on Mantis or GitHub):
$50 Amazon gift card for first place
$25 for second
$10 for third

Additionally:
$25 for anyone who successfully resolves 25 Mantis or GitHub tickets.  (Successfully closing a ticket for some other reason, such as obsolete/duplicate/unreproduceable will earn half credit.)
$25 for anyone who successfully resolves GitHub issue #1051  This has been solved, thanks to AdmiralRalwood, m!m, and z64555.

The code freeze will last until April 1st. Then we'll officially go into the RC stage for 3.8 and release shortly thereafter.

Happy hunting!

EDIT: Added bounty for GitHub #1051 // Goober5000
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:11:45 am by Goober5000 »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Road to 3.8
Does the code-freeze mean we will get no further nightly builds until the RC process begins?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

That seems silly, Trivial Psychic. Surely they'll put out nightlies for bug fixes so people can test them. He said feature freeze, not code freeze.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Does the code-freeze mean we will get no further nightly builds until the RC process begins?

No, IIRC the SCP disabled nightly builds during a feature freeze once (for 3.6.14?) and it was agreed in the aftermath that it had been a bad idea. Nightly builds continuing means that the bug fixes are more easily available to be tested.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
He said feature freeze, not code freeze.
Er...
To that end, beginning right now, the SCP will be entering into a code freeze.
[...]
The code freeze will last until April 1st.
Your point is otherwise correct; we're not actually halting all development on the code, it's just that we're not currently interested in merging new features. As niffiwan said, nightly builds continuing to be available makes it a lot easier for people to test bug fixes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Huh. My memory played a trick on me...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I only brought it up because I haven't seen a new nightly since the announcement, and wanted to have that suspicion confirmed or denied early.  I know that its not uncommon for there to be periods without nightly builds, but again, the timing did give me pause.

On the subject of 3.8, I've noticed a lot of documentation in the Wiki pertaining to table files, and there's a lot of features listed as 3.8 compatibility.  Does that mean that they are features currently in nightly builds?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There hasn't been any new commits since 7th Jan until today, so it was just coincidence. There should be a new nightly "tonight".

The features listed as requiring 3.8 compatibility are currently available in the nightly builds.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
On the subject of 3.8, I've noticed a lot of documentation in the Wiki pertaining to table files, and there's a lot of features listed as 3.8 compatibility.  Does that mean that they are features currently in nightly builds?

That's exactly what that means. Some time ago (couple months, I think?) I consolidated how FSO version templates worked on the wiki because sometimes features were marked according to the first version they appeared in, and sometimes they were marked according to the first stable release they appeared in. The latter makes way more sense than the former, so now all version templates are for non-nightly version numbers (so any features introduced in 3.7.5 are labeled as FSO 3.8 features).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Me too, I agree with AdmiralRalwood here in all parts here.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've edited the first post to add an additional bounty for GitHub issue #1051.

EDIT: Solved!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:12:07 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One month remains to get your bugs squashed!  Remember, some bounties are awarded competitively, but some bounties are paid out to all bug hunters who reach a certain threshold.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One thousand meters to go.  Thirty seconds and counting!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The code freeze has come to a conclusion, and the 3.8 Release Candidate 1 has been posted.  In the next week or two I'll tally up the number of bugfixes and closed tickets and distribute the bounties. :yes:  Thanks to everyone who participated!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since we have not created a branch to separate 3.8 development yet, I'd like to point out that the code freeze needs to remain in effect for the time being.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Unstickied, we can start a thread for the next release if it is warranted.  Perhaps even to cement exactly what version that next release will be.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays