Author Topic: no targeting brackets  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: no targeting brackets
To help me determine whether revision 10844 might be responsible for your problem, try both of these builds:

Revision 10843: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10843_SSE2.zip
Revision 10844: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10844_SSE2.zip
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

43, good. 44, not good.

Offline Yarn

So that is indeed when the problem was introduced. Now try these builds at both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 resolutions. This should help me determine how and whether revision 10868 did anything to fix bracket rendering in general.

Revision 10867: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10867_SSE2.zip
Revision 10868: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10868_SSE2.zip
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

67, bad at both resolutions.
68, good at both resolutions.

Offline Yarn

Awesome! So your problem was fixed at one point. Now we need to track down the revision that reintroduced the problem. There is one more revision, 10965, that was meant to fix a bug that was introduced in revision 10844, so let's see whether that's the culprit.

Here are two more builds to test. Do the same as before, testing with both resolutions.

Revision 10964: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10964_SSE2.zip
Revision 10965: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/fs2_open_3_7_1_r10965_SSE2.zip
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
leoben, were you doing all these tests with BP2's hud table?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline leoben

Both builds work well with both resolutions. Admiral - not sure, I think so? There are no table files in bp2\data\tables.

Offline Yarn

So that revision isn't the problem. That must mean that some later revision messed something up.

I now want you to run the test on various nightly builds. Start with the one from July 31, 2014 (it's currently on this page), and work your way up (forward in time) from there until you find one that has the problem. (You don't have to try all of them, though; you can skip over a whole bunch of them at a time until you find a problematic build. Just make sure that you keep track of which ones you've tried!) Once you do, narrow the problem down to just two adjacent builds (ignoring the non-Windows ones): one with the problem, and one without. After that, if the two nightlies are more than one revision apart, then I will make more builds for you so that you can test all the revisions in between.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

Good thing long weekend's coming up :)

I'll report back once I find something. Thanks for the help!

Offline leoben

Ha! Got lucky - found the culprit build.

10988 from 8/11 is good, build 10990 from 8/13 is bad. So something went tits between the two there.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ha! Got lucky - found the culprit build.

10988 from 8/11 is good, build 10990 from 8/13 is bad. So something went tits between the two there.
Well, it's highly unlikely to be r10989 (mission parsing fix), but r10990 was the fix for Mantis 2985 and was specifically meant to address scaling, so it not only could, but was intended to have repercussions at high resolutions. A little surprised the offscreen target indicator was affected, though...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

88 - OK
89 - OK
90 - bad.

Offline Yarn

All right, so revision 10990 is the culprit. I can't quite see how it can be causing problems for you, though, since all that revision does is add proper rounding to the functions that scale coordinates. Still, I will do whatever I can to fix this, hopefully before 3.7.2 Final is released.

I'm almost ready to create a Mantis report. Before I do, though, I need to do a few more things:
  • Place the attached HUD table in FreeSpace2\data\tables and play without mods. (It's just the BP2 HUD table without the custom gauges and fonts.) If this case causes the same problems, then I can provide a test case without requiring anybody to download a huge mod.
  • If the problem doesn't always happen at 4K, then state how to make it happen.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

Tried three scenarios:

1. Build 88 with table attached - works fine.
2. Build 90 without the table attached - works fine.
3. Build 90 with table attached - bad.

Offline Yarn

Just to clarify:
  • You tried the table without mods with both builds, correct?
  • With revision 10990 and the attached table, this always happens at 4K, correct?
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

Correct and correct.

Offline Yarn

Thanks. I should now all information necessary to post a report on Mantis (link here), which I will do tomorrow. To fix this, I'm going to need your help with testing any changes that I make (since I can't play in 4K), so I suggest making an account there if you haven't already done so.

Once the report has been created, I will link to it in this thread.

Regarding the tiny HUD with the MVP HUD table, you might want to try the build and HUD table in this post. It's a proposal of mine for a middleground between "full" scaling and no scaling at higher resolutions. (I have no idea whether the targeting brackets will work for you there, though.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:29:06 pm by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline leoben

Of course - I'll register.

I tried your build with that table - HUD is now decent size, but targeting brackets are messed up the same way as with anything 990 build and up.

Offline Yarn

The Mantis report has been uploaded here: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=3155

Once you post there, I will start off by giving you some more builds to try.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178