Author Topic: Did FS2 Command survive Capella?  (Read 8374 times)

Re: Did FS2 Command survive Capella?
I think viewing command as a narrative conceit is a lot less awkward than viewing him as some sort of AI spokesman.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I've always assumed command is a fighter-direction officer.  He's far too emotional to be an AI or quasi-AI system, and we see no evidence that such systems exist anywhere else in the GTVA; one would think that kind of technology would have endless battlefield utility, rather like a combination of how Halo and Mass Effect treat their own shipboard AI tech.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Haji

I'm with people who think that command guy is just a middle man.

C'mon it's not like fleet admiral contact with every fighter squad on a regular basis, every mission, day by day.

I think pretty much everyone here agrees he's just a middle man, but for whom? The three options I see are fighter operations for Aquataine, command for 3rd Fleet of which Aquataine is the flagship or last but not least the very central command of the GTVA. My personal opinion is that since he's representing someone who can move a lot of ships, including (if my memory serves) warships from other formations such as Vesudan vessels from the 13th Battlegroup, he represents the very central command. This may seem strange, but to be honest, how many battles can be raging at the same time? A dozen? Two dozen? For central command with FTL capabilities, who likely employ hundreds if not thousands of people, it would be easy to keep tabs on each and every combat area at any given time. That's my personal opinion of course.

As for the original question. If the man really represents a central command, he and his superiors are likely far behind the lines, maybe in Delta Seprentis or Beta Aquilea. If he's just a fighter ops operator on Aquataine he also survived as Petrarch (who commands Aquataine) is narrating the final cinematic, which means he and his ship (and any operators on that ship) has survived. If the man represents the command of the 3rd fleet as a whole, then my assumption would be that he was on Aquataine, as the destroyer is supposed to be the flagship of that fleet. Overall the chances he and whoever he represents did not survive are low.

Offline Luis Dias

The AI theory is immediately negated when you arrive at the menu screen and see Command Guy standing there right in front of you. And given it's the Aquitaine, he's in it. It is weird to watch a different Hecate being commanded about in Bearbaiting by this lone black guy sitting on a chair in another Hecate, and small other inconsistencies that seem to give this avatar a lot more power than should be the norm for someone who is just an officer in Petrarch's flagship, but I always thought of those as both 1) for narrative minimalism sake, 2) budget / management sake.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I think it has more to do with the limitations of FS2's production cycle. If it had been a Wing Commander game, we probably would have had individual controllers for each of the squadrons we go through during the campaign.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
We see him in the aquitaine main hall.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I am pretty sure that they only modeled five or six human faces for FS2. Command guy does get to order around destroyers on the regular, you'd think if he was a liaison for high ranking officers he and Petrarch would be on the same page.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
He's ONE guy sitting in an office in Beta Aq, commanding EVERY GTVA fleet asset ALL the time. He's just that good.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

We see him in the aquitaine main hall.
We are all GTVA Command.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Obviously he is part of the GTVA's Cloned Corp, same as Epsilon 1.