Author Topic: Music to my ears.  (Read 4740 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
So in a fanboyish FS-music-listening session, I thought to myself--"Hey, let's open up Anvil Studio and see what we can crank out."

Well after running it through synthesizers and re-composing it entirely by ear, I present to you Ambience 1 from FS1--the full track (without percussion, unfortunately, because Anvil Studio's percussion editor sucks ballsack).

http://www.sigmatauproductions.com/stuff/ambience1final.mp3

I've been thinking of re-doing the entire soundtrack for FS1, since FS2's soundtrack is perfectly okay as it is.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, if enough people post in this thread to confirm support of me doing this, I'll do it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:02:00 pm by sigtau »
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :yes:  :yes:

You've got my support.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

:eek2:

I really liked it.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Honestly I don't like it nearly as much as Dan Wentz's original, especially since Nix already released hi-fi versions of much of the FS1 music in ogg format. The originals capture the atmosphere better. FS1's soundtrack is uniformly excellent (aside from the Silent Threat music set that seemed to be tossed in as an afterthought); it would be really, really hard to improve on it.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Sounds like it was performed on the glass armonica. I approve!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Honestly I don't like it nearly as much as Dan Wentz's original, especially since Nix already released hi-fi versions of much of the FS1 music in ogg format. The originals capture the atmosphere better. FS1's soundtrack is uniformly excellent (aside from the Silent Threat music set that seemed to be tossed in as an afterthought); it would be really, really hard to improve on it.
I see it as more of a remix or cover version myself. An homage to the original if you will. ;)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Nice bit of music; good choice of instruments for it :yes:. To be honest i feel it would be nice to have music remakes like this alongside the originals instead of replacing them, so they're remixes/covers like Woolie said (allows a little more variety for mission makers, and lets the music people experiment a little), Up to you on that front though. I've always liked the FS1 soundtrack (as primitive as it does sound) but your bit of music here is a good quality, and has a nice feel to it. Hats off to you for doing it all by ear too!

The acid test in my book will be when you do "Worlds Apart"; Favorioute song in FS1. :lol:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I liked Worlds Apart too.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oooooh maaaaayun. ****in' awesome dude. Bravo-Zulu. :D

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
Good stuff sigtau.  I don't think that I would ever use remixed tracks while playing, but that shouldn't stop you.  Nice work!
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I see it as more of a remix or cover version myself. An homage to the original if you will. ;)

I agree.

Great work, sigtau! I'd really like to see other remakes. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Nice bit of music; good choice of instruments for it :yes:. To be honest i feel it would be nice to have music remakes like this alongside the originals instead of replacing them, so they're remixes/covers like Woolie said (allows a little more variety for mission makers, and lets the music people experiment a little), Up to you on that front though. I've always liked the FS1 soundtrack (as primitive as it does sound) but your bit of music here is a good quality, and has a nice feel to it. Hats off to you for doing it all by ear too!

The acid test in my book will be when you do "Worlds Apart"; Favorioute song in FS1. :lol:

"Chaser" is the best FS1 music set.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Personally I'd like to hear you really go for it and try to blow the originals out of the water.  While I like the FS1 music, a lot of it suffers from bland harmony, cheesy percussion, and lack of variety (IMO).  Really, the whole thing is a bit spare and could be improved by some judicious additions, at least in the more intense moments.  So I'd like to encourage you to go beyond just painstakingly recreating the originals: try to build and streamline your remakes into a more dynamic, involving vision that will force players to take notice and make the old cuts sound as outdated as the retail ships look.  Aim high!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Personally I'd like to hear you really go for it and try to blow the originals out of the water.  While I like the FS1 music, a lot of it suffers from bland harmony, cheesy percussion, and lack of variety (IMO).  Really, the whole thing is a bit spare and could be improved by some judicious additions, at least in the more intense moments.  So I'd like to encourage you to go beyond just painstakingly recreating the originals: try to build and streamline your remakes into a more dynamic, involving vision that will force players to take notice and make the old cuts sound as outdated as the retail ships look.  Aim high!

THIS.

Seriously... that's a good thing to strive for. Remaking the originals is fine and all, but but going the extra mile and UPGRADING them is a whole new thing all together. I have a *little* bit of a experience with this kinda thing.. trust me. Also, ignore the traditionalists... if they don't want to use your stuff, they still have the originals!  :yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline sigtau

I'll... see what I can do.  :cool:

Offline Tarvis

You wouldn't happen to have the .MIDI for it on hand, would you?

Also, it would be cool if you tried making the songs that were in the Ancients cutscenes, since they haven't been released separate.

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I just downloaded this (Anvil Studio) the other day, though I'm going to use it to create piano tracks so I can play them on a real piano...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline sigtau

I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP HOPE

http://www.sigmatauproductions.com/stuff/battle2.ogg

I decided to try and orchestrafy the original version and this is what came of it.  Have at it!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
March - Battle 1&2. :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]