Author Topic: How can I view the cockpits from the inside?  (Read 6999 times)

How can I view the cockpits from the inside?
for obvious reasons...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: How can I view the cockpits from the inside?
You have to add "show ship" flag to list on ships.tbl preferably by using modular tables.

showship-shp.tbm
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: <name of the shipclass, like GTF Hercules>
   +nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )

<insert next shipclass>
<etc. etc.>

#End
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

You have to add "show ship" flag to list on ships.tbl preferably by using modular tables.

showship-shp.tbm
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: <name of the shipclass, like GTF Hercules>
   +nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )

<insert next shipclass>
<etc. etc.>

#End

Modulawhattes???

Yeah, I am a noob in FS2 Editing

Offline Dysko

Create a Notepad file called "<something>-shp" (it's important that there is "-shp", otherwise FS won't recognise that file), then paste in it what Wanderer posted. When you finished editing that file, change its extension to .tbm and put it in your "<your MediaVPs folder>\data\tables" folder.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

what if you do that, and for ships like both hercs and the apollo the cockpit shown is compleetly off center or to far forward so you see the nose but not the instrument panel. or to far back so you have this mini cockpit screen blocking your targeget retical  but does not fill the screen? Has anyone figured out how to center these cockpits or what position the camera should be for ships like these?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Has anyone figured out how to center these cockpits or what position the camera should be for ships like these?

I did that like twice. You gotta tinker around with model view and PCS.

what commands did you use?

sorry for the blatent bump but this topic realy interests me.  What commands did you use to center the cockpits for ships like the hercs where it is compleetly out of alignment?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
eyepoints?

if thats what they are called :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The pof (actual model used by the game) has a setting called 'eyepoint' which defines where the camera is placed when looking forward, back, etc.  you can edit that to change the position of the camera in the cockpit; albeit I'd also suggest checking your fov (set in the command line - if it isn't there, don't worry) as well, just to be sure.

how does one go about doing that? is there  a tbm file that i can create that overides the vp? or do i have to find a way to edit the whole vp itself?  Also I didn't set -fov in the command line so that is default i guess
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:35:22 am by Darklord42 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
to edit the eyepoint, you need to extract the pof from the VP file and use a pof editor.  It's scarcely ideal, natch; I'm guessing that no-one thought of setting up the Herc properly for in-cockpit view or something.

Ither hercs actualy. I lack that kind of program, and programing skill. Though i guess i could find one and play with it a little.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
By the way, the cockipt models need to be fixed in almost all ships that have them. The HUD plate should be either fixed or removed from the cockpits entirely, because in many cases it's in the way and you can't even use a transparent texture for it, since it causes very strange things to happen (like making the nose of the ship transparent instead of only the HUD plate...)

In any case the HUD screen is un-necessary at the best, since the HUD is obviously situated into the pilot's helmet...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline CaptJosh

Why do people assume that editing a 3D model takes knowledge of computer programming? They're not talking a hex editor, Darklord42.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

well i made a post in the media vps zeta thread asking if such things will be changed in a future release, but until then ill try playing with it if i get a chance.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
what commands did you use?

In Modelveiw, you open the model you want to move the eye points in. Go into editing mode. I forget what you have to move around, but it looks like a red cross, and thats the eye point. Move it around in the box in the top-right. Once you have the coordinates, go into PCS, and I think there is a eye point tab. Put your coordinates there.

Why don't I just use one program? For me, Model view doesn't like saving POFs, and PCS doesn't like displaying them as 3D textured models, just as splotches of white.

did you already do it? in that case you should submit that to whomever does the media vps

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
did you already do it? in that case you should submit that to whomever does the media vps

I lost them a while ago. I never used them, anyway.

Never managed to get that black thing fixed. Everyones all like "Don't use alpha channel for env mapping!!" And I'm all like " I'm not using alpha channel for env mapping!". And then the thread dies.